HBO's Westworld

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:When's the air date again?
We have no details other than it's a "fall release".

oracle86 wrote:
BlairCo wrote:When's the air date again?
We have no details other than it's a "fall release".
Hey Oracle! Long time...

Given that they begin shooting in the spring (probably by the end of the month), and all 9 remaining episodes need to have wrapped production by the time the show premieres, it's reasonable to assume that it'd be out by mid-October, tops.

Besides the potential involvement of Ed Brubaker (he recently mentioned at WonderCon that he's working on a project at HBO as a Supervising Producer, that he couldn't divulge more about), another addition to the Writer's Room is one Halley Gross, who's been designated as Story Editor. Her previous credits include an episode of Banshee, as well as NBC's cancelled-before-premiere adaptation of Emerald City.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/halley-gross/54/5/434

And apparently, Double Negative worked on the show's VFX as well!
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/xin-yi-puah/21/562/733

Others include: In the Flesh creator Dominic Mitchell (per his Twitter, he presently based in Los Angeles, and has been updated to say "Supervising Producer"), Once Upon a Time's Daniel T. Thomsen (only person who needs to be confirmed), as well as novelist Charles Yu (His page is updated to say 'writer' on this show, as well). They all follow & are being followed by Gross, Brubaker, & co-developer Lisa Joy, all of which started along the same time, going by their streams.

Including Jonah, that makes 7. The Leftovers had just as many folks in their first season.
Last edited by ChrisTilford on June 13th, 2015, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

From an interview by Nuke The Fridge with Simon Quarterman, who plays Lee Sizemore in the show.
I start shooting Westworld for HBO in July. We shot the pilot last year and we got picked up so I’m very excited about that. I think everyone’s in for a real treat with that. I haven’t seen any of the scripts just yet, but judging by what Jonah and Lisa wrote for the pilot episode, it’s going to be an incredibly exciting series.

Nuke: Do you have a lead role in Westworld?

Simon Quarterman: Yeah, I’m one of the regulars.

Nuke: Is it by any chance a character that corresponds to the classic movie?

Simon Quarterman: No, they’re all brand new characters. There’s not much I can say but this is out there already. There’s the androids that it focuses on but it also focuses on the people who run the park. I play the head of narrative design at the park so I create all the characters and the storylines within the park that the guests get to work with.

Nuke: Did the Westworld producers see you in The Devil Inside or did you just audition for them?

Simon Quarterman: No, I was kind of like the unknown really coming into that but I met John Papsidera, the casting director about a month and a half before for another project. He brought me into that to meet Jonah and we really clicked immediately. Then it just happened so that was for sure the moment as an actor that you wait for. Sometimes you’re lucky enough to get such a nod from working with such incredible people. I’m very blessed and very lucky to be a part of such an incredible crew and incredible cast of amazing actors.

Some set pics from DP Paul Cameron's website:

Another snippet from an interview with Luke Hemsworth:
Damon: Last time we spoke, they’d just announced your casting in HBO’s Westworld, have you begun work on that yet?
Hemsworth: Still haven’t started yet. Soon, soon, this is all I’m hearing is ‘soon’. So it’s coming.

Damon: Were you familiar with the Yul Brynner film before you were cast?
Hemsworth: Westworld? No I hadn’t seen it, I actually still haven’t seen the original. I think the style’s going to be very different so …but I will watch it. It’s on the list—on the list to watch.

Damon: What do you think about the concept of that Westworld advanced theme park will appeal to the modern audience?
Hemsworth: Oh I think it’s a lot bigger than that. I think there’s a lot of questions about life and what is life and artificial intelligence, you know. There’s robots becoming self-aware amongst a whole range of moral ambiguities, things that appeal to the darker side of human nature. I think it’s going to be great.

http://www.innovativeartists.com/upload ... resume.pdf

Zack Grobler, the Production Designer of more than 50 episodes of Lost, will take over from Nathan Crowley (who worked in that capacity on the pilot) for the series. He also worked with Crowley in The Dark Knight Rises, as an Art Director.

The movie is one of my favorite sci-fi movies and i can't wait for this.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://collider.com/hbo-may-get-bill-si ... -the-jinx/
The most disappointing news, however, is that it looks like Westworld—the sci-fi Western series from executive producers Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams—will not be making its target 2015 premiere date. Initially slated to launch later this year, HBO Programming Chief Michael Lombardo says they’re taking the time to make sure they get the show right:

“The pilot is a really powerful starting point, but when you’re doing a series, you go, ‘OK, so what’s the next episode? What’s bringing you in?’ You can’t just be a spectacle every week.”

Westworld was ordered to series last winter, with HBO no doubt hoping to spawn another genre hit a la Game of Thrones, which is likely to conclude after seven seasons. While it’s unlikely they’ll scrap the series altogether, it does sound like we’re going to have to wait until 2016 to see it.

May 2016?

Honestly, I'm okay with this. Seems like they want to do it right instead of rushing it.

Location: [insert non-spoilery location here, that wasn't a spoiler to begin with]
As long as it's done well I don't care at all.