Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Samuel R. Jankis wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:I honestly think this material would have shaped into a masterpiece in the hands of Chris.£
I use to think J Nolan was the better writer, mainly because most of my favorite Nolan films are the ones where he wrote with Nolan. I love Westworld but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Perhaps both of them writing together is just better than either writing alone
Nah Chris wrote Memento and Inception by himself and they are amazing.
Well Memento was written by Chris based of a story from J. Nolan... and Inception is great but I consider it less than Interstellar, The Prestige, and at least 2 of TDK Trilogy.

That was a phenomenal finale to a great 1st season. :clap: :clap:
Vader182 wrote:
-Okay, okay. Okay. OKAY. I will literally (not really) pay someone 50 bucks if they can explain Maeve's storyline to me. So she staged this big elaborate breakout... recruited all these guys that went Terminator on everyone... just so she could have dumb asian man find her daughter....and break back into the park... .....why didn't she just stay in the park... and find the daughter since she was, you know, already there.
May take on it:
Ford was the one who altered Maeve's code, so that she would go on to release the sleeping bots into the wild (which he needed for his new storyline), and escape the facility. What happened to Maeve on the train is similar to what happened to Dolores. She stopped hearing "God's" voice inside of her head, telling her to escape, and instead started hearing her own voice. She realized that she wanted to stay with her daughter, and by doing so, she made a step towards true consciousness. She basically was able to override Ford's code and break the shackles of a deterministic narrative that was written for her, to write her own, in real-time.

Armistice is so fucking badass! Finally that scene where she throws that dude through the glass happened, it was shown since the first teaser.
So,
RIP:
Ford
Elsie (she's dead right?)
Hector
Jimmi Simpson (the actor, not the character)

And not dead:
Stubbs
Armistice
Evil Clementine (YES!!)
and Logan! we never see him die, so maybe...

No way Elsie is dead. And none of the hosts should be dead dead imo. As Dolores said, they're practically immortal, new race.

Alright, so. Westworldia. Oh boy.
Vader182 wrote:thought the finale was super uneven but for the most part pulled off its big picture stuff in beautiful fashion, but...

....guys, it's god damn embarssing how little of this episode (and the show as a whole, really) makes sense... READ:
-What the fuck is up with dumb asian man? What was he even doing this episode? What's his motivation? None of that arc makes any sense. He went from being...scared...to just being a mindless goon/lackey and blindly following Maeve around for some mysterious reason. The writing is even self conscious of it since they made fun of him for being a bad character. What's up with that?

-Why does dumb asian man have a magic iPad that controls not only the hosts but ALSO park security? I don't think jobs exist in the real world that let low level people control like, everything, especially when it could put lives at risk.

-Even if you ignore that ^, if dumb asian man has a magic iPad that controls everything, surely the other workers and security people at Westworld should too.... why can't they just bring up the "app" and reverse what was done willy nilly?

-the Delos complex seriously doesn't have an Imperial shutdown where gates just close everywhere and trap everybody? That's like, the first security measure you'd think they'd put in.

-Okay, okay. Okay. OKAY. I will literally (not really) pay someone 50 bucks if they can explain Maeve's storyline to me. So she staged this big elaborate breakout... recruited all these guys that went Terminator on everyone... just so she could have dumb asian man find her daughter....and break back into the park... .....why didn't she just stay in the park... and find the daughter since she was, you know, already there.

-Er, why didn't Logan just kick William's ass and leave? Why was he so petrified of William? He's being dragged everywhere with this rope and stuff, physically and psychologically abused basically, why the fuck isn't he trying to escape?

-Furthermore, doesn't the park have security in general to monitor if guests are straight up abusing other guests? Westworld's played fast and loose with how closely they monitor guest/hosts all season long (Keegan found particular issue with this) but this is ridiculous. If guests can do whatever the fuck they want to eachother and totally get away with it, Westworld must be total chaos.

-So the MIB's entire arc, over decades of playing in the park, and chasing this maze thing, was to hope the robots would fight back? Bruh, fly to the West Side of Chicago. They'll shoot back at you there no problem.

-Okay, so the new narrative and all that expensive rearranging of everything was... just so Ford could kill the Delos investors in bravura fashion? If so, lol.
Seriously. I know the Nolans struggle with basic logic stuff while executing their big ideas more consistently well, but the Westworld finale is on another level of sheer brick wall dumbness I seriously question how so much got passed Jonah. Ugh.

-Vader
I think/guess it doesn't work to the same success in movies but the last two episodes were so off the leash that Mr. Robot comparisons stopped being relevant and I started thinking of the whole thing in Kojima terms. Like, you got everything there:

- crazy, crazy convolutedness; way too much time given to things that could've been neat and concise
- twists that counter each other to the extent that you wonder what will ever have finality of consequence
- characters acting like they're c-h-a-r-a-c-t-e-r-s by spelling out their arcs in drawn out, literal dialogues (even the human ones)
- characters with overdramatized, pushed to the edge of reasonability motivation
- obsessive self-referentiality
- Westworld's roleplaying as its own type of "camp"
- mind games
- respawn after death
- stupid pissy coward scientists
- important one: the general intention of persistenly disrupting immersion/attention through all of the above or even merely through repeatedly switching between storylines/timelines

What's absent is:

- a focus on a protagonist
- making the "action" as much of a spectacle as the "themes" , because WW is a spectacle of the latter only, while the former is always subdued and limited to "roleplay", which itself only ever seems to exist in this show to be disrupted by the it telling you that that's roleplay and not reality. This might change in Season 2 (with better direction), which should be more action-packed, unless the show still wants to keep making a point out of the artificiality of eintertainment.

I think the WW shot itself in the foot with a pilot that, despite its own twist and turns, made it seem that there will be more clean, grounded normality to Westworld than there really was. The pilot set people's compasses on itself so that everything down the line felt off whenever things got messier, which is really what the show ultimately wanted. While it could've been more gracious though, we all know it's not the plot-holes that matter, but the fact that nothing distracts those that want to point them out from doing it, so in the end certain things are probably not even worth talking about. Like, if I look for an explanation for something that doesn't feel logical it wouldn't matter if I find it or not, it matters if enough people feel compelled to go on plot-hole hunts. What I think trumps lists of inconsistencies in WW more than it did in TDKR (where, other than how good TDKR is otherwise, there's not much reason to tolerate inconsistencies) is that at least here the essence of realism (and with it whatever "orders of logic") is not a standard, rather something that is questioned and deconstructed.

Like, 100% Westworld should fix these problems, but even if it's not quite Kojima-theatre, once the gloves and masks were off after episode 8 for me it worked in many and very similar ways as it is. I still get very excited by everything about it so I can't wait for whatever comes next.

On Logan and "chaos in Westworld" - I think the guards can operate as authorities and law-enforcers but I guess William would've had to do more than tie him up and strip him down for them to consider it anything other than a part of the roleplay.

Speaking of chaos and of Maeveris, as per Arnold's "journey inward and into a maze" idea, her decision to stay is an expression of her missing-top-of-the-pyramid-thing that would define/complete her consciousness even if it reaffirms parts of her programming. Since the beginning I had the idea that the hosts wouldn't/shouldn't have to become different people entirely in order to be conscious, because if they would then we're not conscious either, since we're just as much cause->effect driven (limited) and since evolution is nothing without involution too. I think it looks silly and even more diminishing of a breakout that was ridicilously implausible in the first place but in a sense that whole breakout had to be a pretty big thing for her return to be meaningful, so I don't think the idea is bad, just how it was pulled off.

Vader, man I lol-e so hard because all of that is true, except for the last part...
...Ford did it because he was done with his life, he reached the peak, nothing else to achieve as a man of science. In the end he basically did what his partner Arnold would've done: he freed the hosts and started a revolution, in a way making piece with Arnold and himself.
But yeah, if you're gonna mix up your storylines at least work on the believability of your world, otherwise it's fuck-all, anything goes, ALL THE TIME, and in the long run that makes me care LESS, or none at all.

When you think about it, most of Maeve's 'progress' was due to some guy working in a morgue, which is insane. Dude was like POTUS levels of tremendous power.

Shoulda been played by Aidan Gillen for consistency.
"Crashing this themepark."

Any chance that
The Ford who was shot by Dolores is in fact a host version of him? (the one he was making when Bernard killed Theresa)