Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
A lot of what happens in the finale is quite satisfying but there is a bunch of things that are a bit messy indeed. All in all, it was a good first season but I think there's a lot of potential for the next one and they can do much better.

Schrödinger's Westworld. I both love it and hate it at the same time

Certainly wasn't perfect, but I suppose I forgive Chris and Jonathan for logical errors and really just enjoy their work. I absolutely loved the entire season and the finale.
Exit Music over those last ten minutes.....dammmmnn

Best episode since the pilot. Baby Nolan is a touch above the rest it seems.

Overall, I'd rate this season 3.8/5 cause I suddenly like decimals.
Post credit scene was a win since she's such a badass.

Ford's narrative was beautiful. I love a good story.

The idea of a post credit scene after a brilliant final scene is kind of cheesy to me. Did not care for it. I agree with some of the issues but Ford's arc was nearly perfect in my eyes. Immensely satisfying. Also MiB reveal was so well done and guess what? It's OK everyone figured it out, it doesn't need to be shocking. The groundwork was laid for a reason.

That was absolutely incredible although I do agree with Vader on Felix
I have no idea why this idiot keeps going along with Maeve. It just makes no sense why he doesn’t stop. I think the closest we got to the explanation of why is when we found out that someone is still controlling Maeve and she is not doing this on her own. Felix probably found “beauty” in a host being able to access consciousness and freedom but it doesn’t explain what the hell he’s doing. Is it a plot hole? I’m not sure. It’s not explained and it infuriates the hell out of me but I don’t think it’s a hole in the sense that there’s a bigger game at stake – “Arnold” messing with her code, Felix just going along with everything, her choice to not go to the mainland (Was it even her choice to stay or was that programmed?). It’s literally half the coin, I really hope we get some kind of explanation in Season 2.

At first I was dumbfounded by the idea that the Maze wasn’t a physical one but more of a mental one. After thinking it through, it’s perfect. The endgame of giving hosts a consciousness through suffering is genius. Arnold wanted to go guns blazing once he could figure out how the hosts could be conscious but Ford saw through it and knew it would fail because they have no cornerstone like the death of his son. The hosts needed to suffer and for the next 35 years, they did. They had the slowest build up in memories and thanks to the reveries, all the suffering despite narrative loops came to flush. Dolores solved the maze and made a decision that no one but her made. Arnold made her kill him; Ford did nothing and she chose to kill him. In doing so, she evolved to the next level of a host and is conscious. I’m in awe at how well thought out this was.

ALSO, SAMURAIWORLD.
Ford and Arnold are the two best characters in this.
.. Ford :(

All in all, that was the strongest Season 1 I’ve ever seen from a show. The themes, the writing, the scale, the acting, etc. Everything is just firing on all cylinders.

Predictions:
Season 2: Hosts are all unleashed and are now hunting humans. This is probably going to go full War of the Planet of the Apes style.

Season 3, 4, and 5: Now that all the humans are supposedly gone, the hosts will battle each other and it will turn into a Game of Thrones kind of war: Samurais vs. The West vs. Romans vs. Medieval. It’s going to be epic.

So woke right now. Bring me back online in 2018 when this comes back

I can slightly agree about Sylvester and his behavior towards Meave, but Felix? Felix was young, ambitious and curious engineer, who probably thought getting into Delos was his dream come true. Then he saw that he is nobody, wanted something else, that's why he tried to repair the bird. Meave was something he was waited for. And please, tell me who wouldn't do things like him. It's basic human curiosity.
Gosh, please, 2018 :(

I can't tell if I love this show or partially hate it. For example, I think an argument could be made that most of the show doesn't make sense. Plus always having characters appear to look different in memories just to reveal who they actually are in later episodes is a weak way for a plot twist to happen.

I did love
the reveal of who the Man in black really is, that was a twist I never saw and loved.

PowerDump wrote:I can't tell if I love this show or partially hate it. For example, I think an argument could be made that most of the show doesn't make sense. Plus always having characters appear to look different in memories just to reveal who they actually are in later episodes is a weak way for a plot twist to happen.

I did love
the reveal of who the Man in black really is, that was a twist I never saw and loved.
Really? As a show about conscience and remembering, seeking their own nature it was, in my opinion, one of the main reason this was succesful show. It helped people who like puzzles, to feel like the hosts in their journey.

poplar wrote:
I can slightly agree about Sylvester and his behavior towards Meave, but Felix? Felix was young, ambitious and curious engineer, who probably thought getting into Delos was his dream come true. Then he saw that he is nobody, wanted something else, that's why he tried to repair the bird. Meave was something he was waited for. And please, tell me who wouldn't do things like him. It's basic human curiosity.
Gosh, please, 2018 :(
Plus he was obviously naive and unstable, and he probably wanted to do anything for a girls attention. If he was fine with Meave killing all those people then obviously he was very unstable and he probably doesn't care about people very much. I think they should have shown Meave acting nicer to Felix through out the series, perhaps promising him more. They should have shown more bonding between them because until the end she was almost as much of an asshole to him as she was to Sylvester (who's the real dumbass/ pussy really) and so it's less believable, but I guess he's also just afraid to do anything.

I was thinking perhaps Felix was following Fords orders, but there is no evidence for that on screen unfortunately. Would be a cool twist and would help even out that plot line. Sylvester is really just a straight dumbfuck.

I agree with Allstar that the post credits scene was cheesy, yet I always kind of liked that character and though it was a cool moment at the same time. Really enjoyed the finale, most of it we all knew but it was (mostly) very well done with great acting from almost everybody. Loved seeing Lawrence again (underrated character). I didn't expect the very ending to go where it did.