Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:I literally said the film was fantastic and I loved it and that my only complaint was that the story wasn't gripping.

What on earth is wrong with you?
The story wasn't gripping? Is that code for not having an actual argument.

Keep your criticisms lazy and vague, Bacon.

MyCocaine wrote:Films from the library. You're funny guy, Bacon.
lmao

You're asking me to clarify my argument after your attempt to insult me was made completely moot. Just a little pathetic, honestly.

I just felt a disconnect from several of the characters. Many of the things that happened affected me unemotionally. I did not care about
"Henry" and his death nor that he was not actually Henry, which, after HW is sent away, becomes a very significant part of the story.
And the ending half hour seemed just a tad rushed into. We go from
HW learning sign language to him being married and the jump felt unnatural.
Overall the story was very good, but nothing gripped me or made me emotionally involved (other than HW and Daniel's relationship). That's hardly an elementary complaint and to say otherwise is childish in itself. It's people like you (the endless trolls striving to do the same thing again and again) that make this site hard to visit sometimes. How about instead of being an idiot, you could contribute to the discussion?

Are we really getting stuck into someone for being adventurous in their viewing habits and having their first go at a film that could feasibly require a few go's?

Jesus.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Are we really getting stuck into someone for being adventurous in their viewing habits and having their first go at a film that could feasibly require a few go's?

Jesus.
Mycocaine is being a troll. I was laughing at him comments, not Bacon.
Bacon wrote:And the ending half hour seemed just a tad rushed into. We go from
HW learning sign language to him being married and the jump felt unnatural.
This is pretty much my only complaint with this film.

MyCocaine wrote:It's hard to imagine someone not being impressed by TWBB. Even my parents loved it.

Films from the library. You're funny guy, Bacon.
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on September 5th, 2016, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not to say the story is weak in TWBB, but it's defintiely - to put it gently, lest I incite the ire of Prussian royalty - my least favorite part of the film.

I mean, for a first time viewer, having that gripe is understandable.

I've never really been concerned with PTA's storytelling. It's there, but his flicks seem to thrive more on what's going on viscerally and in-the-moment. The Master is perhaps the best and most extreme example. I can almost never describe the film to other people without going into its themes more than its plot.

slevin_77 wrote:imo, the master is even greater than TWBB.
Agreed

Bacon wrote:Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Master, Eternal Sunshine, Zodiac, Seven, Pulp Fiction.

Good list to watch?
Bacon, don't watch The Master It's less accessible and more opaque than TWBB. You gotta find the right way to pace yourself and I'd swap one of Wes Anderson's movies for something else just to diversify.

If you're comfortable I also recommend dabbling into some classics that are pretty universally accessible and loved. Try The Searchers, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Rashomon, 12 Angry Men, The Apartment, Double Indemnity. You can also dabble into the wealth of Spielberg's classics. Also Scorsese's early more artsy fair like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull. If you're willing there's a lot of terrific international movies (that are also accessible) like The Lives of Others, Amelie (I personally don't love this but MANY do), the Three Colors Trilogy.

Honestly another thing you can do is do what I did when I was getting started, just look up lists and compile your own list of movies dabbling into different genres, eras, countries in world cinema. And keep watching the ones that resonate the most. I eventually took a ton of courses in undergrad but that wasn't until years after I was well on the way.

-Vader