Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This is one of those instances where a film has a great concept, but only so-so execution. The first half was kind of slow and boring, but things picked up in the second half when the shit hits the fan and the robots start killing people. Yul Brynner's gunslinger is pretty chilling, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Cameron watched this movie before making The Terminator.

Beautiful and puzzling in equal measure.

ChristNolan wrote:Inception was a revelation for me personally and sort of altered my life after that first viewing and Persona is the only film since to do the exact same thing. It instantly shot up into my top 30 films of all time. I also consider it to be Bergman's masterpiece over his slightly more popular picks (Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal get a bit more love) because of how personal and self critical it is.

It's about as "down my alley" as a film will ever get.
yeah

-Vader

So much fun, second viewing was as good as the first, really excited for the sequel

Event Horizon

I feel dumber now after having seen this.

There Will Be Blood
This is a technically superior film. Acting, directing, score (my boy Jonny Greenwood), and cinematography, all amazing. My only gripe honestly is with the story itself. I didn't feel as gripped or as compelled as I've seen others be with this movie. Maybe I need repeat viewings, but nothing truly stood out to me as magnificent other than a few standout scenes. I wish it had clicked with me more, because this is still a fantastic film and I can understand why people love it.

I'm honestly just glad that you've finally seen it, maybe it clicks some other time, maybe it doesn't, but consider watching more from PTA at least.

I plan on watching a good amount of movies this week. The Dark Knight or Steve Jobs today just to watch one I like that I haven't seen on Blu-Ray yet, and then I plan on getting some more from the library. (I've been watching these films at like midnight and it's surreal having all the lights off in the house and having no distractions from people texting me or whatever).

Any recommendations? No guarantees I'll get to them, but I may. Rushmore is on my list. Unfortunately, most of PTA's other work looks like nothing I'd be interested in.

Magnolia if you haven't seen it yet but Punch Drunk Love is probably more up your alley.

Bacon wrote:I plan on watching a good amount of movies this week. The Dark Knight or Steve Jobs today just to watch one I like that I haven't seen on Blu-Ray yet, and then I plan on getting some more from the library. (I've been watching these films at like midnight and it's surreal having all the lights off in the house and having no distractions from people texting me or whatever).

Any recommendations? No guarantees I'll get to them, but I may. Rushmore is on my list. Unfortunately, most of PTA's other work looks like nothing I'd be interested in.
I mean, what are you looking for? There's infinite possibilities here. Also TWBB is a masterpiece, rewatch it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
I mean, what are you looking for? There's infinite possibilities here. Also TWBB is a masterpiece, rewatch it.

-Vader
also, The Master