Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Interesting

I'll watch it

xWhereAmI? wrote:I SAW THE DEVIL

Fucking masterpiece
:clap:

Kung Fu Panda 3

Its predecessors are among my favorite animated movies, if not movies in general. As I expected from seeing the trailers, that one is less good. Not bad, just alright. What disappointed me the most was the soundtrack though, which is pretty forgettable. Considering Powell wasn't involved in its making plus the pretty high standards the spectacular and inspiring KFP2 soundtrack set, I didn't think it'd go otherwise. Still, it's a shame.

Jack Clayton's masterpiece The Innocents

"Rooms used by daylight as though they were dark woods"

One of the most haunting films I've ever seen. The final scene is so bizarre and disturbing.

Star Trek: Generations (1994)

This one is considered by many fans to be one of the most horrendous Star Trek films, mainly due to what happens to
Kirk
, the lackluster villain and the emotion chip that leads to lots of awkward moments. I must say, as someone who has not watched any of the tv shows and has just seen the movies, I didn't think it was as bad as it was made out to be so maybe I went in with lowered expectations? What works for me in this movie is Pickard, Kirk and some of the story elements have some potential (the emotion chip might have been used better because the concept in and of itself is quite interesting but sadly it is often used only for humour and not very clever humour at that). Some of the effects are great like the crash of the Enterprise but some effects look kinda cheap, such as the nexus. Overall, a mixed bag but I tend to lean more on the positive side, as I was not familiar with Star Trek: The Next Generation and the characters come across as believable and multilayered, though the film does not give them as much depth as it could and the dumb plot and some plot holes keep this from being a good film as opposed to a mediocre one.

6/10

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

This one was great. I like the concept of the Borg as cybernetic beings that assimilate other life forms into their collective and I was given to understand that there was no queen in the tv show because the Borg do not have any individuality but the character looks and acts in a really interesting way in the movie so it does not bother me very much. I am given to understand that V-ger from Star Trek: The Motion Piture is somehow connected to the Borg but that's not the plot of this film. It feels good to see Pickard getting called out on his own double standards and all of it in a story revolving around mankind's first contact with extraterrestrial life. There is lots of tension, it is very dark at times, the characters are once more very charming (though Pickard and Data get the most to do apart from Cochrane). Some of the emotional moments hit really hard and the effects look stunning at times. I love the Moby-Dick references and while some of Pickard's reactions are unintentionally funny at times ('NOOOOO' as glass is smashed), it has a lot of fun action and character moments.

8/10

Everybody Wants Some (2016)
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Whoever said there haven't been any great films this years, has probably not watched this.

I watched Dumbo (1941). Hit me right in the feels and took me back to my childhood. That pink elephants scene is pretty fucking hilarious and trippy. 8.5/10

Batfan175 wrote:Star Trek: Generations (1994)

This one is considered by many fans to be one of the most horrendous Star Trek films, mainly due to what happens to
Kirk
, the lackluster villain and the emotion chip that leads to lots of awkward moments. I must say, as someone who has not watched any of the tv shows and has just seen the movies, I didn't think it was as bad as it was made out to be so maybe I went in with lowered expectations? What works for me in this movie is Pickard, Kirk and some of the story elements have some potential (the emotion chip might have been used better because the concept in and of itself is quite interesting but sadly it is often used only for humour and not very clever humour at that). Some of the effects are great like the crash of the Enterprise but some effects look kinda cheap, such as the nexus. Overall, a mixed bag but I tend to lean more on the positive side, as I was not familiar with Star Trek: The Next Generation and the characters come across as believable and multilayered, though the film does not give them as much depth as it could and the dumb plot and some plot holes keep this from being a good film as opposed to a mediocre one.

6/10

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

This one was great. I like the concept of the Borg as cybernetic beings that assimilate other life forms into their collective and I was given to understand that there was no queen in the tv show because the Borg do not have any individuality but the character looks and acts in a really interesting way in the movie so it does not bother me very much. I am given to understand that V-ger from Star Trek: The Motion Piture is somehow connected to the Borg but that's not the plot of this film. It feels good to see Pickard getting called out on his own double standards and all of it in a story revolving around mankind's first contact with extraterrestrial life. There is lots of tension, it is very dark at times, the characters are once more very charming (though Pickard and Data get the most to do apart from Cochrane). Some of the emotional moments hit really hard and the effects look stunning at times. I love the Moby-Dick references and while some of Pickard's reactions are unintentionally funny at times ('NOOOOO' as glass is smashed), it has a lot of fun action and character moments.

8/10
Ugh, I used to like First Contact until I watched the show and realised that film Picard is basically insane, and TV Picard is one of the greatest TV characters of all time.

Also the Moby Dick stuff was done much better in the masterful Wrath of Khan

What We Do in the Shadows-

Fun movie and makes me even more excited for Thor Ragnorak.

I still haven't seen a single classic Trek film, except for half of The Motionless Picture. I need to get on Wrath of Khan