Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Unbreakable
This was fantastic. I just wish it was lacking the
documentary styled words at the end and left the ending a little more ambiguous.

m4st4 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:I actually have a theory to very conveniently justify shit like that in TDKR, which I'll save for the viewing party.
Thanks! Pace yourselves boys, we have nine weeks to fill that thread with gems (Pedal faster! Exposition maestro! How did Bruce sneak past Bane's guards in TDKR etc. etc)
Cil can handle this. I've read one of his TDKR pieces before and it was so good. Please Cil, give it all you got in the viewing party lol

Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote:Inception is the worst for me.

I just can't get through 60+ minutes of hard exposition after repeated viewings. It gives me a headache.
Hard exposition would be if Nolan literally walked in front of the camera and spelled out what's going on.

By that logic, The Matrix (a clear source of inspiration) also had headache inducing hard exposition.

It's not nearly that bad, especially when the "exposition" part is not only intended to be entertaining, but also carries emotional and psychological meaning. It's also integral to understanding the rules of the universe (which are subsequently broken as the film progresses for thematic and narrative reasons). Cobb is teaching and guiding Ariadne through the second act, and then that dynamic is turned on its head as Ariadne begins to truly understand the depth of Cobb's psychosis. It's the whole basis for both the unreliable narrator and traitorous mentor tropes Nolan uses in his films.

The exposition scenes are there not only to explain the rules, but also have the audience subconsciously place their trust in Cobb until that's used against them as the film goes on.
Thank God you spoke for yourself and not for me.

RIFA wrote:Thank God you spoke for yourself and not for me.
Well, no, he's explaining how it's not hard exposition.

Mostly 'cause it's not. If you don't like it that's cool, but it has higher and broader functions than m4's very good example of bad exposition.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
RIFA wrote:Thank God you spoke for yourself and not for me.
Well, no, he's explaining how it's not hard exposition.

Mostly 'cause it's not. If you don't like it that's cool, but it has higher and broader functions than m4's very good example of bad exposition.
You're dealing with someone who stopped speaking to a friend for disliking BvS, might as well quit now. There is no reasoning.

Vader182 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:I have a feeling you guys won't have much else to say once we hit Nolan peaks in dedicated thread but oh well... Apropos exposition I'm fine with it until Mendelsohn says: 'A clean slate... You mean the program that wipes away your criminal record blah-blah' (paraphrasing), god I hate that part every time even if it's necessary.
We're talking about Inception, not TDKR.

TDKR and Stellar are by far his messiest movies and I doubt anyone here disagrees.

-Vader
Then you would be wrong. I think Interstellar is one of his two best films and TDKR is nowhere near as guilty of overexposition as Inception, in which almost every bit of dialogue regards exposition. It wasn't that hard of a concept to understand and yet the film constantly feels the need to retell you the same information.

Bacon wrote:Unbreakable
This was fantastic. I just wish it was lacking the
documentary styled words at the end and left the ending a little more ambiguous.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

m4st4 wrote:I have a feeling you guys won't have much else to say once we hit Nolan peaks in dedicated thread but oh well... Apropos exposition I'm fine with it until Mendelsohn says: 'A clean slate... You mean the program that wipes away your criminal record blah-blah' (paraphrasing), god I hate that part every time even if it's necessary.
TDKR is definitely Nolan's worst when it comes to exposition (JGL telling the Special Ops Captain "the bomb's a time bomb") but I don't really see what bothers people about that Mendelsohn scene. You can even sense the mockery in his tone as he tells Selina about it, surprised she had bought into the whole idea of such a program.

RIFA wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote:Inception is the worst for me.

I just can't get through 60+ minutes of hard exposition after repeated viewings. It gives me a headache.
Hard exposition would be if Nolan literally walked in front of the camera and spelled out what's going on.

By that logic, The Matrix (a clear source of inspiration) also had headache inducing hard exposition.

It's not nearly that bad, especially when the "exposition" part is not only intended to be entertaining, but also carries emotional and psychological meaning. It's also integral to understanding the rules of the universe (which are subsequently broken as the film progresses for thematic and narrative reasons). Cobb is teaching and guiding Ariadne through the second act, and then that dynamic is turned on its head as Ariadne begins to truly understand the depth of Cobb's psychosis. It's the whole basis for both the unreliable narrator and traitorous mentor tropes Nolan uses in his films.

The exposition scenes are there not only to explain the rules, but also have the audience subconsciously place their trust in Cobb until that's used against them as the film goes on.
Thank God you spoke for yourself and not for me.
Come on bro don't do me like that.

Entertaining, dramatic and funny. Check it out on Netflix. Has great and refreshing characterizations (not surprised with one of the writers of OITNB) and Ellen Page is terrific in it. Really liked it a lot, a small gem.