Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Holy crap, just thinking of that scene creeps me out. *squeezes her cat for some comfort*

Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Tim Burton's headless horseman fable is enjoyably atmospheric and over-the-top in just the right ways. Christopher Walken as the headless horseman is chewing the Gothic scenery wonderfully and Johnny Depp embodies all the cowardly personality traits of Ichabod Crane despite the actor's handsome face not immediately being the image of the classic character that would come to mind. Danny Elfman's music is great here once more and contributes a lot to the gloomy, spooky tone of the whole affair. This does not stick closely to the original story other than in name but that's why this looks and feels like a great Hammer-style horror film. Great Halloween classic that rewards rewatches and there even are references to the Disney version if you know where to look.

9/10 decapitated heads

I haven't seen that in a long time, but along with Beatlejuice and Ed Wood its one of the only Burton films that didnt nearly make me sick and I actually enjoyed a lot

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

9/10 - Awesome film

John Wick (2014)

7.25/10 - Pretty fun action film

Hustle & Flow

8/10 - Great film, with an amazing performance by Terrence Howard

The Equalizer (2014)

7.5/10 - A slow, but a really good action/thriller, alot better than I expected, you gotta love Denzel.

The Lookout (2007)

7.75/10 - Really good film, pretty underrated aswell in my opinion.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

8/10

Funny, entertaining and bloody. Best combinaton in a spy movie.

Days of Heaven- Top 3 Malick. One of the best films of the 70's. Roger Ebert explained it's greatness better than I could.

"What is the point of "Days of Heaven"--the payoff, the message? This is a movie made by a man who knew how something felt, and found a way to evoke it in us. That feeling is how a child feels when it lives precariously, and then is delivered into security and joy, and then has it all taken away again—and blinks away the tears and says it doesn't hurt."

A Most Violent Year
★★★★

Not as sharp of a script as I was expecting, but other than occasional fluffy dialogue, this was a blast to sit through. Isaac goes for that home run, the way he's so calm, even in reaction to the events that take place, and I actually felt for the guy. Chastain is very good here, but despite her occasional patchy accent, it's probably my best supporting actress of the year. The entire look of the New York area is gorgeous, and the way the story unfolds is really neat.

Sky007 wrote:Days of Heaven- Top 3 Malick. One of the best films of the 70's. Roger Ebert explained it's greatness better than I could.

"What is the point of "Days of Heaven"--the payoff, the message? This is a movie made by a man who knew how something felt, and found a way to evoke it in us. That feeling is how a child feels when it lives precariously, and then is delivered into security and joy, and then has it all taken away again—and blinks away the tears and says it doesn't hurt."
I finally saw this not too long ago and I forgot to review it, but I didn't really love it like I do Badlands or The Thin Red Line. If you ever read Berardinellis review of it I feel very much the same. It didn't "click" with me in very much the same way 21st century Malick doesn't really click with me. Like The Tree of Life it's beautiful, but I didnt connect strongly like I did Badlands or TTRL. IMO Badlands is his most perfect film, his tightest, and with great performances. TTRL is more flawed but I still feel its MUCH closer to what it should be than this was. Something in it worked for me despite its flaws, while this didn't.

ComptonTerry wrote:
Sky007 wrote:Days of Heaven- Top 3 Malick. One of the best films of the 70's. Roger Ebert explained it's greatness better than I could.

I finally saw this not too long ago and I forgot to review it, but I didn't really love it like I do Badlands or The Thin Red Line. If you ever read Berardinellis review of it I feel very much the same. It didn't "click" with me in very much the same way 21st century Malick doesn't really click with me. Like The Tree of Life it's beautiful, but I didnt connect strongly like I did Badlands or TTRL. IMO Badlands is his most perfect film, his tightest, and with great performances. TTRL is more flawed but I still feel its MUCH closer to what it should be than this was. Something in it worked for me despite its flaws, while this didn't.
I think it's his most perfect. Badlands is certainly more traditional but it's Malick getting his foot in the door. With DOH he begins to play with form as a memory and gives just enough character to keep us invested in them. The brilliance is that it's told through the pov of a child's memories. The events are her memories of what happened. That's why we're always at a distance from the 3 leads. When you look at the whole it becomes a beautiful and haunting memory. The film then becomes about a time and place but also a feeling that Ebert described so perfectly. But I think TTRL's ambition and achievements propel it to being Malick's opus. The Tree of Life comes close as well.

A Prophet

Great stuff. Tahar Rahim is pretty fantastic in this. Also reminded me of The Departed and Shawshank and some other things.