Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:I'm trying to figure out a more convoluted way to explain the differences between story, plot, and narrative than Vader, but I'd be hitting Rohan levels of incoherence.
To be fair, it's a pretty convoluted idea in general.

It's an actual thing though, I swear.

-Vader
I mean you could just say...

Story = sequence of events
Plot = description of events
Narrative = how the events are told/their order

But noooo you had to be Mr. Convoluted Wordy-Pants.

Batfan175 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:The Emperor's New Groove

I truly believe this is one of the best animated films Disney has churned out, if only because of the perfect voice casting (Eartha Kitt and David Spade are just fantastic in this) and clever comedic writing. Aside from the comedy itself which is simultaneously childish and mature, as well as a combination of slapstick and meta humor it's one of the few Disney animations that humanizes the villains to a delightfully amusing degree. It's full of really smart anachronistic comedy, which is something that has traditionally worked really well in Disney films.

Cilogy wrote:The Emperor's New Groove

I truly believe this is one of the best animated films Disney has churned out, if only because of the perfect voice casting (Eartha Kitt and David Spade are just fantastic in this) and clever comedic writing. Aside from the comedy itself which is simultaneously childish and mature, as well as a combination of slapstick and meta humor it's one of the few Disney animations that humanizes the villains to a delightfully amusing degree. It's full of really smart anachronistic comedy, which is something that has traditionally worked really well in Disney films.
Absolutely. It got torn apart and put back together during production and I think they managed to make such a fantastic film. I'll try to catch that BTS documentary by Sting's wife. The creative staff had a lot of trouble with it.

The Sweatbox? I tried looking for it everywhere but I couldn't find it.

Seems fascinating though.

Well I saw Big Hero 6 and I really wanted to like it so I wouldn't come off as a Nolan fanboy who is bitter about boxoffice matters but boy the film is a disappointment. Mostly because Disney was on a good track and I expected a lot more than this. I would've said the film still has enough merits to be called at least decent but the third act has put a big question mark above my head over whether or not that is actually true.£

Master Virgo wrote:Well I saw Big Hero 6 and I really wanted to like it so I wouldn't come off as a Nolan fanboy who is bitter about boxoffice matters but boy the film is a disappointment. Mostly because Disney was on a good track and I expected a lot more than this. I would've said the film still has enough merits to be called at least decent but the third act has put a big question mark above my head over whether or not that is actually true.£
It brings literally nothing to the table. And completely lacks imagination.

But yeah, sure, it's better than The Lego Movie. Sure.

Top Five

Man, this was pretty good. It's also genuinely, naturally hilarious, not in a forced way. It's Chris Rock through and through, which is great. Engaging from start to finish.

Lensed by Manuel Alberto Claro (Nymphomaniac, Melancholia), which was neat too.

EDIT: It's worth it just to see Jerry Seinfeld make it rain on some strippers.

Cilogy wrote:Top Five

Man, this was pretty good. It's also genuinely, naturally hilarious, not in a forced way. It's Chris Rock through and through, which is great. Engaging from start to finish.

Lensed by Manuel Alberto Claro (Nymphomaniac, Melancholia), which was neat too.

EDIT: It's worth it just to see Jerry Seinfeld make it rain on some strippers.
I really enjoyed Top Five as well.

Citizen Four

wow

Man Hunt

Getting back to work on Lang's filmography and as always the film is impeccably lit and shot. While the plot itself is a sort of typical cat & mouse game, Lang (as always) seems to work it in a way that highlights the moral and social aspects of it all. The film could have easily just been "this guy being chased by the bad guys", but because it's Nazi Germany (and the main lead is a big game hunter which also gives some interesting moral aspects), Lang seized the opportunity and incorporated some wonderful bits of conversation between the opposing forces. The cave conversation at the end in particular is great, probably my favorite scene of the film. Lang always seemed so ahead o his time in terms of the pure craft of camera work and shadow play. Seriously though:

Muhh dick