Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:Blue Jasmine.

It's mostly a forgettable and unambitious story to a pretty boring and tired concept, and I don't think it's all that funny, but the cast is undeniably incredible.
Did you think it was supposed to be all that funny?

-Vader
I think a lot of the first act is meant to be fairly light and funny. Most of the second and third certainly aren't, even if Allen decided to keep that whimsical tone.

Filth

For such an perverted, ugly individual, the character of Bruce Robertson is pretty sympathetic. It could have ended up being a small film that was just created for shock value, but it still packs a lot of charm, and is never boring even in the quietest of scenes. And even though I think there could have been more comedy scenes, this film contains some of the best comedy I've seen this year. Even though McAvoy is quite the charming fellow, how he is able to create this sick, twisted maniac but still manages to pull off the charismatic personality he shows the world is so fascinating and McAvoy pulls it off brilliantly. Some of the film may seem familiar to some, but it's such a brilliant character study that will either please or shock you.

BlairCo wrote:Filth

For such an perverted, ugly individual, the character of Bruce Robertson is pretty sympathetic. It could have ended up being a small film that was just created for shock value, but it still packs a lot of charm, and is never boring even in the quietest of scenes. And even though I think there could have been more comedy scenes, this film contains some of the best comedy I've seen this year. Even though McAvoy is quite the charming fellow, how he is able to create this sick, twisted maniac but still manages to pull off the charismatic personality he shows the world is so fascinating and McAvoy pulls it off brilliantly. Some of the film may seem familiar to some, but it's such a brilliant character study that will either please or shock you.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
i was going to go with that avy last week but I'm a noob when it comes to resizing. Great review. :thumbup:

Frances Ha

Frances Ha is about the most boring kind of people-the kind that think they're not boring. For the same reason I don't enjoy HBO's TV show Girls, this movie and its characters live in one of the most expensive cities on Earth and seem to not really have to work for it at all. The film follows Frances through her financial woes, but does she ever really rectify her lack of a work ethic? Maybe in the end, and off screen no less. In all reality, she seems to learn nothing about herself and doesn't really evolve as a character despite the life changes going on around her. I'm quite shocked that it was so well-received because the film accomplishes a whole lot of nothing and failed to connect on an level with me. Maybe I'm just not an artist.

And that unnecessary black and white cinematography. Ugh.

0/10

BroskiSabor wrote:Frances Ha

Frances Ha is about the most boring kind of people-the kind that think they're not boring. For the same reason I don't enjoy HBO's TV show Girls, this movie and its characters live in one of the most expensive cities on Earth and seem to not really have to work for it at all. The film follows Frances through her financial woes, but does she ever really rectify her lack of a work ethic? Maybe in the end, and off screen no less. In all reality, she seems to learn nothing about herself and doesn't really evolve as a character despite the life changes going on around her. I'm quite shocked that it was so well-received because the film accomplishes a whole lot of nothing and failed to connect on an level with me. Maybe I'm just not an artist.

And that unnecessary black and white cinematography. Ugh.
Boring right? I thought it was inoffensive at best, it just doesn't do much of anything.

Broski, was it you that had a problem with Nebraska being photographed in black & white? I can't remember, but as far as Frances Ha goes, I think the B&W cinematography suited it well. It hid budgetary blemishes and gave them more freedom, while also being a not-so-subtle homage to Allen's Manhattan.

The Hunt.

It's much more remarkable than I expected. It's a fucking terrifying story, and Vinterberg pulled just the right dramatic strings to make it not only intensely realistic, but also wonderfully formed. Mikkelsen found a groove that I wasn't sure he could. Having really only seen him as a brutal-silent warrior, a Bond villain, and a psychopathic cannibal, I didn't think he could shave off that edge of intensity and power I've come to associate with him, but he did it quickly, and I forgot entirely that this man could even be scary.

Crazy Eight wrote:Having really only seen him as a brutal-silent warrior, a Bond villain, and a psychopathic cannibal, I didn't think he could shave off that edge of intensity and power I've come to associate with him, but he did it quickly, and I forgot entirely that this man could even be scary.
Get onto his work with Susanne Bier - the guy is seriously one of the best dramatic actors working today.

Crazy Eight wrote:Broski, was it you that had a problem with Nebraska being photographed in black & white? I can't remember, but as far as Frances Ha goes, I think the B&W cinematography suited it well. It hid budgetary blemishes and gave them more freedom, while also being a not-so-subtle homage to Allen's Manhattan.
Yes, but I thought that black and white suited Nebraska much better than Frances Ha. I definitely didn't consider its use of masking those budgetary blemishes, and you make a good point. As for Manhattan, I wouldn't have picked up on that homage because I have yet to see the film, though it is waiting for me in my Netflix queue.

BroskiSabor wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:Broski, was it you that had a problem with Nebraska being photographed in black & white? I can't remember, but as far as Frances Ha goes, I think the B&W cinematography suited it well. It hid budgetary blemishes and gave them more freedom, while also being a not-so-subtle homage to Allen's Manhattan.
Yes, but I thought that black and white suited Nebraska much better than Frances Ha. I definitely didn't consider its use of masking those budgetary blemishes, and you make a good point. As for Manhattan, I wouldn't have picked up on that homage because I have yet to see the film, though it is waiting for me in my Netflix queue.
Frances Ha's use is more appropriate, even if Nebraska is a more skilled execution of that style. Think about it, what does black and white photography typically represent? It's a super-imposed sophistication usually saved for films with subject matter of importance and heft, or, films hoping to evoke a certain classicism. Frances runs around for the length of the picture trying, and usually not succeeding, to artificially enhance her own triumphs as an artist. The choice of aesthetic cohesively matches her characters, and it really makes the film feel of one mind. The black and white photography means much less to Nebraska's story and characters, mostly giving it a robust nostalgia and sadness.

I didn't really care much for Frances Ha, though. Wore its influences on its sleeve without creating anything new or attention-grabbing, even if the performances are fine. See Manhattan dude, it's great.

-Vader