Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
George wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street

Did anyone else find the visuals to be insanely bland? I don't think I can recall a single great image from the film, let alone any sense of broader atmosphere. The editing was also a little wonky. Far too many instances of poorly synched dialog and odd cuts within scenes, for instance, despite some wonderful pacing on the whole. But all that said, The Wolf of Wall Street was a fantastic moviegoing experience. It's insanely entertaining and hilarious, and DiCaprio's best performance by my estimation. A (strong) 8 out of 10 for now.

The moral debate kind of baffles having finally seen the film. We witness what makes this lifestyle so appealing, but there's also the downfall and, more importantly, a broader sense of social injustice by the end.
But we aren't explicitly told, or shown, these are 'bad' things. Belfort never experiences a comeuppance, and we're never given a real reason to think he learned anything from his actions. It must make some uncomfortable.

-Vader
I agree that he doesn't seem to learn anything, but as the audience we're able to see that, at the very least
his choices led to the loss of his wife, child, and (presumably) his best friends.

There's no traditional sense of comeuppance in terms of, say, hard jail time, but that's also part of the point.

Dallas Buyers Club-

Good flick but I'd hardly call it a great one. McC is aces, Leto is a riot. Don't understand the dislike of Garner, grounded and honest performance.

It's because Garner "suffers" in "comparison" to McConaughey & Leto, the role demands her to be measured, and unspectacular I'd say, so she doesn't pop a lot, but she's still good.

For the remark about The Wolf Of Wall Street's visuals, I don't see it, it looks great imo, and it's not meant to be dazzling visually or anything.

Allstar wrote:Dallas Buyers Club-

Good flick but I'd hardly call it a great one. McC is aces, Leto is a riot. Don't understand the dislike of Garner, grounded and honest performance.
Yeah.

Also, Wolf has the same type of 'visuals' as plenty of Scorsese's movies. The lighting is competent and ranges from generic to great, but it's more about how the images are cut together, and the camera movements, than the cinematography itself.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Allstar wrote:Dallas Buyers Club-

Yeah.

Also, Wolf has the same type of 'visuals' as plenty of Scorsese's movies. The lighting is competent and ranges from generic to great, but it's more about how the images are cut together, and the camera movements, than the cinematography itself.

-Vader
I dunno... I'm disappointed he's moved to Prieto who is relatively bland, but Richardson and Ballhaus always made super-purdy images. Some of the shots in The Last Temptation of Christ and even The Color of Money are sumptuous. And indelible.

Prieto bland? Check out We Bought A Zoo before saying that, it looks utterly gorgeous, Argo looks good too, there's Babel, Brokeback Mountain, etc, there's the director factor yeah but he's still done some very good work.

Barry Lyndon - arguably Kubrick's most beautifully crafted movie, it never fails to amaze me just how stunning it is.

8/10

mcconaissance wrote:Barry Lyndon - arguably Kubrick's most beautifully crafted movie, it never fails to amaze me just how stunning it is.

8/10
Yes indeedy. Fantastic little work.

I see you have 2 posts so you must be new here but there's something awfully familiar about you.

jibran wrote:
mcconaissance wrote:Barry Lyndon - arguably Kubrick's most beautifully crafted movie, it never fails to amaze me just how stunning it is.

8/10
Yes indeedy. Fantastic little work.

I see you have 2 posts so you must be new here but there's something awfully familiar about you.
Is it the avatar? Because I think someone else on NF has the exact same one which I ripped off through Google. I'll be getting a more original one soon.

Jax_Teller wrote:Prieto bland? Check out We Bought A Zoo before saying that, it looks utterly gorgeous, Argo looks good too, there's Babel, Brokeback Mountain, etc, there's the director factor yeah but he's still done some very good work.
Oh, I've seen We Bought a Zoo, which is no great shakes. His best work is Brokeback and patches of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, IMO. I guess bland is an extremity I'm using here to illustrate the disparity between him and Robert Richardson - he does good work, but he's a long way from that Deakins/Lubezki/Richardson/Delbonnel upper echelon. There's a bit of an anonymity to his work. Some people like that... I don't. A cinematographer should have a stamp. Storaro did, Willis did, Toland did.