Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983)

Now here's a very special war movie that not only is just about people in a POW camp in Japan during WW2, prisoners and prison authorities alike, but on top of that presents all the characters as three-dimensional human beings with empathy and moral failings. David Bowie plays "Strafer" Jack Celliers, a New Zealand soldier condemned by a Japanese military tribunal to be sent to a prisoner of war camp. He has a lot of secrets and refuses to reveal his past to his captors. In the camp we meet the famous Mr. Lawrence himself, played wonderfully by Tom Conti (at some point I thought: 'the leap to freedom is not about strength') who is bilingual (English-Japanese) and who gets along with Sergeant Hara (Takeshi Kitano), a paradoxical figure, at times humane and yet at others rather harsh and unforgiving. Finally, there is Captain Yonoi, played by Ryuichi Sakamoto and who is very interested in Jack Celliers.
The music is fantastic in this, at times soothing and at other times sad and melancholic.
The film is about cultural exchanges and respect and empathy, not to mention homosexuality as well, as we see someone being forced to commit seppuku or hara-kiri for engaging in sexual activities with a prisoner. And yet, seppuku itself is not shown as some foreign barbarity viewed through the eyes of disgusted Westeners but rather as a part of Japanese culture, and in this context military culture at the time. The importance of seppuku to the Japanese officers is well-established as a means of preserving one's honour or atoning for sins or crimes within the movie and hence viewed with a respectful distance. The obstacle generally to this cultural understanding is represented here by Captain Hicksley (Jack Thompson), a captive English officer who shouts and boasts and generally refuses to see his captors as anything other than vile and evil, preferring a stereotypical black-and-white moral worldview when it comes to the Japanese, contrary to Mr. Lawrence who tries to be a diplomatic voice of reason as much as he can.

I could see this being David Bowie's best role on film for the simple reason that the character he plays is so multidimensional and intriguing to watch, which is partly the strength of the script but also the acting performance. Bowie goes from stern to rebellious to weary to melancholic as if it were nothing and all the other characters and actors get at least one moment to shine here as well. The ending is heartbreaking and yet also reassuring because it speaks to the humanity of all of the characters, as we understand that there is no right or wrong side in a worldwide conflict like this, only human beings reacting to pressures and social, political and cultural incentives.

8.5/10

Macbeth

Shallow eye candy.

:thumbdown: /10

The Man Who Never Was

Well, this was really quite good. It kept me gripped right from the start and felt much more modern than I had anticipated in that regard. The opening and ending scenes were really nice as well as the scene where they prep the body. That was actually quite tense with the bomb raid in the background and that humming getting louder and louder.

"Last night I dreamed a deadly dream
Beyond the Isle of Skye
I saw a dead man win a fight
And I think that man was I."

The brilliance of that poem/rhyme with the ending is good solid writing. A nice little find on Netflix after being bored out of my mind on there for some time now.

All About Eve (1950)
Dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz

Staggeringly and undeniably great, perhaps the greatest "women's picture" of the Hollywood system, the greatest Zanuck production, the greatest Mankiewicz film. One of the greatest American pictures, full stop. While some of the values on display are indeed rather dated they're packaged with such brio that you simply have to go along with them. The entire cast is really amazing, but no one was more perfectly suited to delivering Mankiewicz's own brand of acidity and intellectualism than George Sanders and in a different way, Anne Baxter, who (unpopular opinion) eclipses even Bette Davis here. Celeste Holm's portrayal has got that wonderful Melanie Wilkes-style decency but with a sharper mind (and a more conflicted soul), and this is kinda the moment where Thelma Ritter becomes the great character actress of the 50s.

It's not a visual feast by any stretch of the imagination, but Mankiewicz precision-bombs a great, telling image with regularity. And the final shot might be my favourite final shot from any film, a chilling portent if ever there was one and prophetic in a Chayefsky-esque way. Also hard not to mention Alfred Newman's score -- his greatest for my money, and one that contorts to all the different moods and colours it has to Eve is, erm, unpackaged through the film. Basically one of the smartest, nastiest, and wildly entertaining (in an unorthodox way) films I can think of. That it came from the Hollywood studio system is a Casablanca-level miracle.

Room-

It's fairly void of much emotional intelligence. The heart of the movie is propped up exclusively by Larson and Tremblay, who are both amazing and utterly captivating in their respective roles (particularly Tremblay). The concept is obviously a great psychological thought experiment, but by keeping the perspective on Tremblay for most of the runtime it, we're being robbed of actually exploring the depths of that in any kind of real detail. When you decide to stick with a 5 year old's point of view, you're limiting the information the audience gets to that of a five year old, which is sort of entirely uninteresting to me both emotionally and intellectually, particularly when the third act keeps said five year old as a passive player who's well adjusted.

Hmm, I honestly think the fact that the movie restricts itself mostly to Jack and how he tries to make sense of the world through his imagination is much more interesting than whatever we might have found poking inside Ma's brain, not that the movie satisfies either fully though.

Sisters

I'd rather have Hitler beat my dick with a meat cleaver while singing Photograph by Nickelback repeatedly than ever having to seat thru this blight on humanity ever again. I was forced to watch this by others, I had no say in it. I could physically feel myself growing exhausted with each passing minute and by the end I wanted to go home and lie in bed immediately.

It didn't help that my morbid curiosity made me Google how much this cancer made and unfortunately for the planet it some fucking how made $100 million. What the absolute fuck.

ChristNolan wrote:Sisters

I'd rather have Hitler beat my dick with a meat cleaver while singing Photograph by Nickelback repeatedly than ever having to seat thru this blight on humanity ever again. I was forced to watch this by others, I had no say in it. I could physically feel myself growing exhausted with each passing minute and by the end I wanted to go home and lie in bed immediately.

It didn't help that my morbid curiosity made me Google how much this cancer made and unfortunately for the planet it some fucking how made $100 million. What the absolute fuck.
Not a De Palma fan then.

ArmandFancypants wrote:

Not a De Palma fan then.
who is?

thrice wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:

Not a De Palma fan then.
who is?
I guess I would qualify. Also I believe ChristNolan is referring to the recent Poehler/Fey comedy, not the 1973 film. Considering how sexism has spread through his veins, it's hardly a surprise that he would reject such chick flicks altogether like that.£