The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
In development for years, the Aaron Sorkin-penned The Trial of the Chicago 7 appears to be back on track. Deadline reports that Paul Greengrass in talks to direct the DreamWorks Pictures project.

The true story follows protesters who disrupted the 1968 Democrat party convention with an anti-Vietnam war "carnival" that turned nasty. Demonstrators threw bricks, police responded with tear gas and the center of Chicago was engulfed in flames. Curfews only escalated the violence.

After the clashes, independent investigators blamed eight police officers and eight protesters including Hoffman, who had already disrupted the New York Stock Exchange with showers of fake money.

The police were not charged but the protesters were accused of inciting a riot. One was jailed for contempt, leaving the seven to fight the charges.

Steven Spielberg was, for years, planning to direct The Trial of the Chicago 7 himself, but the plan now seems to move forward without him with January of 2014 targeted for the film to begin production.

Greengrass' next, Captain Phillips, hits theaters October 11 and stars Tom Hanks in the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=106860

This is a very interesting director/writer collaboration. I have a hard time picturing it in my mind but I am extremely curious. Always nice to see a Sorkin movie script get made. :thumbup:

Sorkin/Greengrass sounds fantastic.

The first sentence with Sorkins name. I had already bought my ticket.

Excited!

A Greengrass/Sorkin combo is odd, but I'm excited.

I hope they can find a great cast.

Trial? Sorkin?

This team (Sorkin/Greengrass) sounds incredible.

Wasn't Jonah involved in a movie about this too? Or was I imagining that?

TalkOnCorners wrote:This team (Sorkin/Greengrass) sounds incredible.

Wasn't Jonah involved in a movie about this too? Or was I imagining that?
I believe Jonah wrote (or worked on) a script about the Great Chicago Fire. Separate event from this one.

Scott Rudin will produce. The Social Network & Captain Phillips reunion!

I thought Paul Greengrass was doing his MLK biopic next? :?