The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 4:33 am
Was this always Netflix or?

Wouldn't mind watching Bond on Netflix aheeeeem. 👀
Was theatrical - Paramount in the States, a bunch of indie distributors around the world.

This was amazing. I didn't know anything about the real trial, so it was quite shocking in many ways. Shocking, sad, and a bit desperate, because the whole story feels eerily poignant today - especially when I think of certain events in my home country. Couldn't help but relate the film and its story to contemporary reality. It was quite upsetting in this sense. There are many amazing scenes that are written in such an exploding manner, there were moments when I had my pulse up in the air... and there was a surprising cameo I didn't know about! That whole sequence is the highlight of the film for me. Might give it another view in the near future.

Enjoyed this. Certainly worth checking out. Great performances across the board

It’s really good but falls short of greatness because Sorkin’s direction is merely competent. His direction is fine but I much prefer his work when there is a truly great filmmaker behind the camera like Fincher, Miller or Boyle. Luckily his script is fantastic with some minor issues. The cast is terrific, Godlance is MVP. It tackles a really important subject matter but Sorkin makes it extremely entertaining and fast paced.

Okay, fine, I’m returning to NF to say this would be my favorite film of 2020 if not for its very ending. Ugh, fine, I think it’s still my favorite film of the year. I thought this was amazing.

The cast is absolutely fantastic. Seriously. If any of the main players get recognized in the actual Academy awards, I’ll be happy. My personal favorites are Rylance and Redmayne, but SBC is also amazing, despite sounding a bit like Aladeen at times.

I thought this was perfectly Sorkin type of material, but with surprising amounts of restraint (if you think it’s ridiculously dialed up to 11, it probably actually happened), that’s only cut short at the very end. And it’s not even a very bad ending, and I get that that sort of emotional catharsis can feel needed, especially now in the year of 2020, when it’s extremely evident not much has changed at all.
But I personally think when you spend 2 hours being a witness to a very broken system attempting to destroy every bit of the foundation of democracy, it’s very jarring to have that be cut off by a wishful thinking type of a made up happy ending where the oppressors are finally forced to hear the voices of those they’re trying to restrain (with the added comedy of the judge having a casual freakout session). Also that singular “the whole world is watching!” before the credits, ARGH. I think the ending is by far the most sentimentally indulgent and heavily handed portion of the film.
The ending doesn’t really play well with and undermines the sort of disillusioned, bitter and frustrating emotion it communicated throughout the movie. But idk. Maybe it’s what we needed.

I’m one of those loons who liked Molly’s Game and thought Sorkin’s direction is above being merely “fine”, but maybe not up to the levels some would consider to be that of a true ~*auteur*~. I don’t see that as a massive criticism though, and am of the opinion that various filmmakers can find their specific voice and place under the sun.

Anyway. It’s brilliantly written and acted, frustrating, ridiculous, witty and very, VERY relevant. Time flows by while it’s on. Just fucking watch it

You'd have hoped that for somebody like Sorkin who is known for his energetic dialogue, he would have been able to channel that energy into something visually engaging. I loved the script and the performances, but there's not a lot that Sorkin wants to do with the camera except for just pointing it at people talking.

Ruth wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 7:29 am
Okay, fine, I’m returning to NF to say this would be my favorite film of 2020 if not for its very ending. Ugh, fine, I think it’s still my favorite film of the year. I thought this was amazing.

The cast is absolutely fantastic. Seriously. If any of the main players get recognized in the actual Academy awards, I’ll be happy. My personal favorites are Rylance and Redmayne, but SBC is also amazing, despite sounding a bit like Aladeen at times.

I thought this was perfectly Sorkin type of material, but with surprising amounts of restraint (if you think it’s ridiculously dialed up to 11, it probably actually happened), that’s only cut short at the very end. And it’s not even a very bad ending, and I get that that sort of emotional catharsis can feel needed, especially now in the year of 2020, when it’s extremely evident not much has changed at all.
But I personally think when you spend 2 hours being a witness to a very broken system attempting to destroy every bit of the foundation of democracy, it’s very jarring to have that be cut off by a wishful thinking type of a made up happy ending where the oppressors are finally forced to hear the voices of those they’re trying to restrain (with the added comedy of the judge having a casual freakout session). Also that singular “the whole world is watching!” before the credits, ARGH. I think the ending is by far the most sentimentally indulgent and heavily handed portion of the film.
The ending doesn’t really play well with and undermines the sort of disillusioned, bitter and frustrating emotion it communicated throughout the movie. But idk. Maybe it’s what we needed.

I’m one of those loons who liked Molly’s Game and thought Sorkin’s direction is above being merely “fine”, but maybe not up to the levels some would consider to be that of a true ~*auteur*~. I don’t see that as a massive criticism though, and am of the opinion that various filmmakers can find their specific voice and place under the sun.

Anyway. It’s brilliantly written and acted, frustrating, ridiculous, witty and very, VERY relevant. Time flows by while it’s on. Just fucking watch it
I should watch this