Your Favorite Film Scores

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Special One wrote:Conan the Barbarian! remember that one? the film itself is nothing special but the soundtrack by Basil Poledouris is terrific!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Even after all these years you still cant beat Ennio Morricone's work on The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.
{=}

The Special One wrote:Even after all these years you still cant beat Ennio Morricone's work on The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.
I agree, that score has been kept alive for years and I don't think it's gonna die anytime sooner

I still get chills when I listen to The Ecstasy of Gold. Such a wonderful piece of music. Its no wonder that Quentin Tarantino has used Morricone's music in many of his films (Kill Bill, Basterds)
{=}

Jerry Goldsmith's stuff -- the non-electronics work anyway -- nearly always inspires me. PATTON, THE BLUE MAX, PLANET OF THE APES, first TREK movie, TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING, BREAKHEART PASS, BREAKOUT, THE WIND AND THE LION ... not all that imnpressed with THE OMEN (though he won his only Oscar for it, it sounds like a riff on John Barry's LION IN WINTER to me), but lots of fun stuff like the FLINT movies and tons of great TV themes as well.

Elmer Bernstein's western work was often excellent; a lot of Morricone's western stuff is terrific as well. There's a Van Cleef Spaghetti Western called THE BIG GUNDOWN that has practically outMorricones the Leone filmscores.

Pouledoris did great work on several films ... his stuff on IRON EAGLE really elevates the movie a helluva lot, though I think the only album is mainly pop songs rather than his work.

Schifrin's BULLITT is another favorite.

If we were talking ACTUAL soundtracks as opposed to just music scores, the list would be a lot different. Some of my favorite films have NO underscore (many Sidney Lumet pictures, plus THE CHINA SYNDROME), and among the most effective are ones that have perfectly integrated soundeffect/musicscore combos, like the Kaufman INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS from 1978. JAWS would be another one ... there is a great bit where Quint watches his fishing line start to pull and the sound goes from sound effect to subtle music cue, back and forth, over and over, before the action really lights off.

so far... composed original scores

Lord Of The Rings [Howard Shore]
The Godfather Trilogy [Nino Rota]
Gladiator [Hans Zimmer]
Chinatown [Jerry Goldsmith]
300 [Tyler Bates]
Edward Scissorhands [Danny Elfman]
District 9 [Clinton Shorter]
Lion King [Hans Zimmer]
The Dark Knight [Hans Zimmer]
The Passion Of Christ [John Debney]
Up [Michael Giacchino]
La Piovra [Ennio Morricone]
Braveheart [James Horner]

and many more...

as far as various artists ost.. (mainly any tarantino movie he always picks such great music so already all his movies)

(500) Days of Summer
Forest Gump
Goodfellas
Smokin' Aces
Platoon
Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
The Matrix

etc. :D

Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack is beautiful. I am listening to it right now.

I also love THE HAPPENING scores.

Rohan wrote:Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack is beautiful. I am listening to it right now.

Come to think of it, all of Shyamalan's movie soundtracks are incredible. Just wish I could say the same about his last 3 movies... :|

bLaZe wrote:
Rohan wrote:Pan's Labyrinth soundtrack is beautiful. I am listening to it right now.

Come to think of it, all of Shyamalan's movie soundtracks are incredible. Just wish I could say the same about his last 3 movies... :|
They are not that bad. At least it's original and it's not a remake or a sequel.

signs
TDK
the shawsank redemption
gattaca
the truman show