Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
"For every human you save, we will kill a million more" - Faora

I find myself constantly defending this movie. I just loved it. As far as the events on Krypton, those scenes were some of my favorite. I could have watched an entire film about Krypton. None of that bothered me.
Other than the action just getting too chaotic for my taste toward the end and some editing issues, I really have little problem with the film. The product placement was honestly my biggest issue. I questioned some creative decisions, like killing Clarks dad or Supes killing Zod but I felt these things were handled well enough that they won me over with them. And I also like that Lois just knows who he is intimately from the start.
I'm going again tomorrow for a second look and see if I still feel the same.

The movie is not perfect and it's not even great. But it's a good, solid movie. I mean I just feel like people were expecting The Dark Knight version of Superman or something. Man of Steel has some dramatic and emotional elements, but I don't think it was trying to be something more than a summer blockbuster, at which I feel it succeeded. I just cannot understand the amount of backlash on this movie.

Glad I chose the 2D screening. I think watching almost non-stop shakey cam 3D would have made me puke. This probably didn't help the pro critics reviews as they had to see it in 3D, I think...

"Krypton had it's chance." - Superman

"I exists only to protect Krypton.That is the sole purpose for which I was born.And every action I take,no matter how violent or how cruel is for the greater good of my people.And now.I have no people.My soul.That.Is.What you have taken from me." - Zod

"Hi.Lois Lane.Welcome to the Planet." - Lois Lane

WalterWhite wrote:
"I exists only to protect Krypton.That is the sole purpose for which I was born.And every action I take,no matter how violent or how cruel is for the greater good of my people.And now.I have no people.My soul.That.Is.What you have taken from me." - Zod
Forgot about this one! Excellent! :twothumbsup:

anonymity wrote:The movie is not perfect and it's not even great. But it's a good, solid movie. I mean I just feel like people were expecting The Dark Knight version of Superman or something. Man of Steel has some dramatic and emotional elements, but I don't think it was trying to be something more than a summer blockbuster, at which I feel it succeeded. I just cannot understand the amount of backlash on this movie.
as far as i'm concern i didn't expect anything than a new vision of superman. a vision that i will embrace. we are talking about a legend! a myth! a popular icon! the world's/humanity's rescuer. What's missing for me is this: "how Ck becomes this myth?"
we have an outstanding battle at the end between Zod et Supe. I mean two titans ready to fight 'til their last grasp. That part was up to the task (and the introduction) when i stare at General Zod i can't stop thinking about Antic figures of gods. That's what it's all about: gods fighting against each other on earth.
you also have this christic figure (Kal-el son of Jor-el send on earth to bring his message and save the humanity while doing wonders and miracles...). you don't see human being throwing him away, rejecting him... i expected much more on those points. the movie delivers something great but it could have delivered more
Last edited by Zimmeredge on June 18th, 2013, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagnarTheGreat wrote:Glad I chose the 2D screening. I think watching almost non-stop shakey cam 3D would have made me puke. This probably didn't help the pro critics reviews as they had to see it in 3D, I think...
frankly i don't know why Nolan didn't put his veto on this thing (shaky cam). I love 3D i think it's exceptionnal when used for good purpose. Man of Steel was probably THE perfect movie for it because of the flying sequences but the shaky cam ruin the whole thing.
this was definitely shot on imax 3D camera system or J. Cameron cameras

8.5/10

WalterWhite wrote:
"Krypton had it's chance." - Superman

"Hi.Lois Lane.Welcome to the Planet." - Lois Lane
Yes. Such a great fucking monologue.