Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
willyjoel wrote:The level of stupidity in that IMDB post baffles me (no wonder where it came from). Every single point in that post has been totally disproved and explained in several articles and videos in YT, I know it is a matter of taste and likes, but I guess it is cool now a days to bash something that people like just for the sake of it while sounding semi-intellectual and semi-articulate. To each their own I guess.
No, it was one of those rare examples of a decent IMDb post, which is why I put it here.

I think most people were predicting 650-700 million at the end of the day. Probably closer to 650.

Joeyjojo72 wrote:I think most people were predicting 650-700 million at the end of the day. Probably closer to 650.
It's going to end up at 600-650 worldwide, at least.

willyjoel wrote:
m4st4 wrote:From IMDb, sadly, I agree:
It's pretty depressing that his movie has an 8.0+ rating. What this says to me is that it's merely sufficient for most "fans" to be fed the next "edgy-with-dark-color-palette superhero reboot" complete with obligatory chest-beating moments and all the cgi trimmings, though any concept of actual storytelling be damned. TDKR for example, while being generic (Nolan after all is king of effective generic cinema) at least had competent storytelling that you could connect with and regardless of your feelings about the quality of said storytelling, you felt a forward movement, step by step, that took you along for that ride.

Man of Steel on the other hand fails at even the most basic levels of storytelling, each segment being more convoluted than the last. Constantly jumping forward and back, never allowing a single character or character relationship to progress or develop, causing everything which occurs to feel utterly contrived and greatly in haste (to finally build up to the team-america-esque battle scenes); for example, Jonathon and Martha Kent merely reduced to awkward cameos, Louis being a meddling journalist who initially roots out Clark's secret and thus by association is automatically "romance material". You get the feel that all of this was outlined on paper to be "edgy" and "different", but in the great behemoth machine that is hollywood, it was never truly understood and felt by the director himself, and is why it came out feeling so flat and dead and meaningless.

Then there's just the insultingly bad writing like Clark's father haphazardly sacrificing himself for the dog in the Tornado and Clark refusing to save him in order to safeguard his secret - yet not soon after in that chronology he saves those people in the oil rig, revealing his superman abilities in plain sight, and later, even totals some losers truck in a bar for spilling beer on him - both being worth it - yet saving the man who brought you up on this earth with only a couple people present, and in the chaos of tornado to boot - was not worth it. There are dozens more examples like this.

Well, at least they got our money. So they won in the end, right?
Just... Why? I needed to bump my TDK Trilogy Blu-ray viewing just to forget about this whole mess.
The level of stupidity in that IMDB post baffles me (no wonder where it came from). Every single point in that post has been totally disproved and explained in several articles and videos in YT, I know it is a matter of taste and likes, but I guess it is cool now a days to bash something that people like just for the sake of it while sounding semi-intellectual and semi-articulate. To each their own I guess.
Please direct me to an article or video that disproves or explains away even one of the points made in that IMDb post about Man of Steel.

Also, maybe there's a reason these kind of posts about MOS sound rational and articulate...

so i'm seein this tomorrow

4 out of 10

xendor wrote:The positive response from everybody here surprised me.
4/10 and I am being generous.
I'm surprised too.

prince0gotham wrote:so i'm seein this tomorrow
Waiting to hear your thoughts!

6/10. Lots of good material, but inelegant execution mars it.

Darkseid should be saved for JL I think personally. I would want 2 supervillains challenging Supes in the next movie. Lex Luthor who mentally challenges him and somebody like Metallo who would physically take him on.
I'm guessing though there will be a much larger reference to the major villain for the JL movie in the next man of steel.

My guess is that the Martian Manhunter is going to come to earth in the next movie and be there to warn Superman and the civilians that somebody like Darkseid is coming for them. Somehow I feel Hawkgirl would probably show up with the Manhunter. I could see either one of them showing up to earth to give warning.
Hawkgirl should showup in the next film I think due to the fact that the Kryptonians and Thanagarians (hawkgirls people) do know eachother. This isn't implied in the movie but it is implied in the prequel comic book for m.o.s which is by David Goyer and Geoff Johns. The thanagarians would definitley want to investigate how a Kryptonian survived the planets destruction so they could send her as somebody to find out.

I have no idea how Batman would be used though. Maybe as somebody that takes on Luthors henchman while Supes takes on Metallo. Green Lantern should get a reboot but would be better to come out after mos 2. He could possibly take on a henchman of Darkseid and give a bigger hint of what is to be expected in the JL movie.

8/10

I would have given it a higher rating if the material wasn't recycled that much, but I got goosebumps quite a lot from just the score alone.