The Leftovers (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Since the second season premiered on Sunday to solid reviews I decided to marathon the first season and became so obsessed with it I watched them all in two nights. The show has a relatable human nucleus surrounded by thought provoking mysteries and existential drama that rivals the best of True Detective.

Now that I've seen the second season's premier (I really really enjoyed it), I was hoping to see if any of my fellow Nolanites have fallen down the rabbit hole with me.

I'm in. I watched this show since episode 1 and got immediately hooked.

It's a very solid piece of television (typical from HBO).

Killer episode. Season 2 is looking promising.

Durden wrote:Killer episode. Season 2 is looking promising.
Durden should I watch this?I'm a huge fan of Damon actually.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Durden wrote:Killer episode. Season 2 is looking promising.
Durden should I watch this?I'm a huge fan of Damon actually.

-Vader
First season isnt perfect but it has really big highs. One episode in particular was really powerful. And a great finale. Overall I would definitley check it out, especially if your a fan of his. Just like alot of his stuff when he shines its as good as anything but has a few speed bumps along the way.

That's more or less what I thought.

-Vader

Why do u even think about it? It's a short series to pick up. Go for it.

First two episodes have been really solid. I really like the Murphys, especially John, and I like the direction they've taken the original characters. The way
Kevin's condition interacts with the Murphys and the world of Miracle should be fascinating. As we've already seen it come into relevancy at the end of episode 2.
In a recent interview Damon mentioned that fans should pay attention to
what's happening in Australia
. So far we've seen two to maybe three references to this.
Kevin's Dad says he's moving to Australia in order to "start up the world again", Michael Murphy brings a message to the guy in the tower that's being mailed to Australia, and Dr. Goodheart at the beginning of the first episode seems to have an accent that I can't tell if it is or isn't Australian
. This is just one of the many intriguing threads in a show chock full of mysteries.

My big theory right now is that
this season will have a lot of similarities to divine punishment. While in Season 1 the Sudden Separture was very much parallel to the Rapture event in the Bible where the religious implication was that those who disappeared ascended into Heaven, Season 2 has already seemed to take the opposite religious route. The disappearance of the young girls and Miracle's precious spring water coincides with the appearance of a huge crack in the Earth. The immediate implication of this is that the girls and the water have been sucked into the Earth which runs parallel to Hell. The people of Miracle live their lives around the idea that they were spared the divine disaster that was the Sudden Departure, at the end of the season I believe this will prove to be a myth and they will seemingly have been doomed to a far worse fate. I wouldn't be surprised if the water that has disappeared returns and we see the city's ultimate demise at the hand of a great flood like that in the Bible. Water appears to be of key significance
I believe all of this will make a second look at this promotional poster more intriguing:

Incredible episode tonight. I think it's the best one so far this season. So much to digest from it
Meg becoming the new leader of the Guilty Remnant and her raping of Tom was very unexpected. Then this gets blown away by the ending. It's left just ambiguous enough that they can take it either way. Is Tim lying about the powers Holy Wayne gave him or does he believe he actually does have them? This'll be fun to watch unfold.

Beautifully shot episode, really liked the scene with Meg.