The Leftovers (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just finished episode 6. I love this insane amounts.

-Vader

Addicted2Movies wrote:Incredible episode tonight. I think it's the best one so far this season. So much to digest from it
Meg becoming the new leader of the Guilty Remnant and her raping of Tom was very unexpected. Then this gets blown away by the ending. It's left just ambiguous enough that they can take it either way. Is Tim lying about the powers Holy Wayne gave him or does he believe he actually does have them? This'll be fun to watch unfold.
wouldnt call it rape. He seemed to be into it after he realize he wasnt about to be harmed. Don't think dude is lying about the power. The entire episode they were dropping hints about him being the "jesus" character (infiltrating cults pulling people out, etc)

Vader182 wrote:Just finished episode 6. I love this insane amounts.

-Vader
:clap: glad to have you on board with this. If you're fully engaged after the sixth episode you should enjoy it the whole way through. Look forward to reading your thoughts after the first season.

@celibate: I'm not going to get into an argument over the semantics of
female on male rape but the fact he was handcuffed and didn't want her to do it makes it rape to me regardless of whether he was physically stimulated or not. As for if Tom's powers are real, there's an important scene from the previous episode where he refuses to hug Jill and claims it's because he is sick. After this episode we know he wasn't sick at all. But, on the other hand, there's also the fact that the storytelling is seemingly structured to imply this is a hoax. The reveal of his "powers" occurs after Laurie tells then they need to give the former cultists something seemingly solid to believe in and hold onto. It's really a representation of the foundations of religion.

Addicted2Movies wrote:

-Vader
:clap: glad to have you on board with this. If you're fully engaged after the sixth episode you should enjoy it the whole way through. Look forward to reading your thoughts after the first season.

@celibate: I'm not going to get into an argument over the semantics of
female on male rape but the fact he was handcuffed and didn't want her to do it makes it rape to me regardless of whether he was physically stimulated or not. As for if Tom's powers are real, there's an important scene from the previous episode where he refuses to hug Jill and claims it's because he is sick. After this episode we know he wasn't sick at all. But, on the other hand, there's also the fact that the storytelling is seemingly structured to imply this is a hoax. The reveal of his "powers" occurs after Laurie tells then they need to give the former cultists something seemingly solid to believe in and hold onto. It's really a representation of the foundations of religion.
I don't remeber Wayne showing up when Christine left the baby last season like he said, nor could it be implied it happened offscreen. I could be wrong but I think it's a hoax.

-Vader
Six might be my favorite episode of thre entire series.

The part in episode six where
Nora meets Holy Wayne is one of my favorite scenes in the show

Time to sprint this last episode boyssss

Well that last episode was pretty great. Somewhat the sequel to the Matt centric season 1 episode "Two Boats and a Helicopter" I was somewhat worried this was going to feel like a retread of that excellent episode. "No Room At The Inn" does go over that familiar territory but through a different lens and in compelling fashion. This episode examines how one responds to a miracle and the fine duality that can exist between it being a blessing and a curse. Obviously, there's no show better equipped to tackle this material than The Leftovers. The show looks at this theme in perhaps the darkest and riskiest way possible
with the conflict here being Matt claiming that the comatose Mary shockingly returned to her full functioning state during their first night in Miracle and that the two made love during her night of consciousness. Upon waking up in the morning Mary is once again in her vegetative state. After weeks of trying to bring her back into full consciousness, Matt takes her to an out of town hospital and upon examination it is revealed that Mary is pregnant. What was once an impossibility to the couple for years before the departure. Matt finds himself simultaneously rejoicing in the conception of their child and facing the alarming speculation of those who are rightfully skeptical of her unlikely night of wakefulness. The show, as usual, doesn't provide us clarity into what really happened that night. We're left wondering whether Matt is truthful and Mary really did return to consciousness, Matt was delusional and hallucinated the event, or the dark possibility that in his loneliness Matt raped his comatose wife.
and the result is something that is far more artistic and tasteful than what we've seen with other shows treading similar waters in the past. What did you guys think?

This show is soooo good. Last episode was fantastic.

That was the most gripping hour of TV I've seen in a long time.