Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
You have to earn the emotions that go along a picture like this:

...and Chris Nolan, Christian Bale and Michael Caine earned them in my book. That's what I like about (proper) sequels, you get to see your heroes after a while and whatever is shown on the screen isn't the only thing that is shown to you, there's also a memory of those heroes from before, a whole journey that got them there. And I'll always have a place in my heart for that particular version of Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth, even if it's not what I consider to be the ideal vision.

Bale was the most human, vulnerable and dramatic Batman. Whether that's something some likes or not it's a personal preference. I loved it, even though it wasn't the typical comic book representation. But it served the movies and that character great.

LelekPL wrote:Bale was the most human, vulnerable and dramatic Batman. Whether that's something some likes or not it's a personal preference. I loved it, even though it wasn't the typical comic book representation. But it served the movies and that character great.
Typical comic book representation is also 'a human, vulnerable and dramatic' Batman, believe it or not. And by typical I'm really thinking the best of the mainline crop: old Miller, Loeb, Morrison, Snyder... it's just that Nolan obviously had to sacrifice what is considered to be 'the goddamn Batman' in the comic book sphere to compliment HIS vision and HIS goals, which is why we got what we got - The Dark Knight Trilogy. And it's not like he didn't gave us some of the well known comic book aesthetic pieces as well:

m4st4 wrote:
LelekPL wrote:Bale was the most human, vulnerable and dramatic Batman. Whether that's something some likes or not it's a personal preference. I loved it, even though it wasn't the typical comic book representation. But it served the movies and that character great.
Typical comic book representation is also 'a human, vulnerable and dramatic' Batman, believe it or not. And by typical I'm really thinking the best of the mainline crop: old Miller, Loeb, Morrison, Snyder... it's just that Nolan obviously had to sacrifice what is considered to be 'the goddamn Batman' in the comic book sphere to compliment HIS vision and HIS goals, which is why we got what we got - The Dark Knight Trilogy. And it's not like he didn't gave us some of the well known comic book aesthetic pieces as well:

Bat-God, Chuck Norris in a suit is not always the version in the comics. The goddamn batman was absolutely sacrificed for Nolans vision, which was to make a little more realistic than usual. There was always going to be a time where a director would deliver the pure comic book Batman. That option was always there so Nolan probably said fuck it, ill do my interpretation. But let's not fool ourselves. A lot of people are buying into the imagery and now feel like Affleck will be the closest to the comics. That may not be true at all. Yes, visually the suit, his chin, his build, the batcave will be the closest we've ever been. But what about the character? He's not just Chuck Norris in a sweet Bat-suit like i said. The HEART of Bruce Wayne, his ideals, his moral compass was all represented in TDK Trilogy.

Snyder may be giving us the Frank Miller version 100 percent (minus 10 years to his age to match the rest of the Justice League). Aesthetics is Zack's thing. No doubt he will give us what we want. But this version of Bruce could be a killer at this point in his age. He could be a right-wing extremist like Miller's version. Frank's Batman was a elseworlds Batman, it's different. He's cruel, he's grizzled, he's cynical, he's a doucher. I LOVE this Batman but he's not my favorite. Bale actually represented the Batman that i love the most and the one that i thought about the most when i was younger.

Killer Batman is that one area nobody should discover. Play with it? Yes. That's why Joker exists, but to fully deliver on the provocative yet character crushing premise? Never. Even Miller's Batman isn't killer Batman (that's not a sniper, that's a grapple gun, just a reminder for some who might think otherwise). Still, I consider the late 90s and everything mainline post-2000 to be just about right in terms of what Batman should represent, as both Bruce Wayne and Bruce Wayne in a bat-suit. Later on, in The Dark Knight Strikes Again Miller merely descended into his own mad world, sin city like, completely unfaithful representation of DC universe: graphic, often silly, self indulging (and lets not mention All Star Batman and Robin beyond Jim Lee, please). I'm sure he'll further continue to diminish his fading image with Master Race later this year and meanwhile, you have artists at the top of their game, delivering this, yesterday:

New 52's Batman 1-40, seriously, pick those 6 volumes up and read them if you haven't, it's a love letter to Batman. Zack Snyder (or Ben Affleck?) hopefully managed to get equally invested scriptwriter, Chris Terrio, cause he's the one pulling the strings in BvS; the aesthetics, like you said, will always look great in Snyder's world, especially with Fong behind the lense.

The face Affleck makes in the pic is exactly my expression when I get to the bottom of a bag of chips.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:The face Affleck makes in the pic is exactly my expression when I get to the bottom of a bag of chips.

-Vader
:lol:

m4st4 wrote:

In the comics, he's the goddamn Batman, he's a master of everything, he can never die, he endangers children, using them to fight crime and so on and so forth.

With TDK trilogy, Nolan and Bale were able to give us a truly heroic Batman, omitting some of the more despicable elements of the comic Batman. One that is very much human.

m4st4 wrote:Killer Batman is that one area nobody should discover. Play with it? Yes. That's why Joker exists, but to fully deliver on the provocative yet character crushing premise? Never. Even Miller's Batman isn't killer Batman (that's not a sniper, that's a grapple gun, just a reminder for some who might think otherwise). Still, I consider the late 90s and everything mainline post-2000 to be just about right in terms of what Batman should represent, as both Bruce Wayne and Bruce Wayne in a bat-suit. Later on, in The Dark Knight Strikes Again Miller merely descended into his own mad world, sin city like, completely unfaithful representation of DC universe: graphic, often silly, self indulging (and lets not mention All Star Batman and Robin beyond Jim Lee, please). I'm sure he'll further continue to diminish his fading image with Master Race later this year and meanwhile, you have artists at the top of their game, delivering this, yesterday:

New 52's Batman 1-40, seriously, pick those 6 volumes up and read them if you haven't, it's a love letter to Batman. Zack Snyder (or Ben Affleck?) hopefully managed to get equally invested scriptwriter, Chris Terrio, cause he's the one pulling the strings in BvS; the aesthetics, like you said, will always look great in Snyder's world, especially with Fong behind the lense.
I really didn't care for Endgame (to be honest, the only real great story Snyder did so far was Court of Owls)... especially the ending. I don't know if this particular issue is to blame or is it more about the state of comics but trying to make a dramatic scene with the death of a superhero in the comics... I'm sorry, it doesn't work. It's laughable they would even try after Knightfall and Death of Superman... or even RIP not so long ago. There is no drama in there, no tragedy.

If they really wanted to shock anyone, it would be to kill all those people Batman saved with that conveniant antidote in their masks. If Joker killed all the sidekicks (somebody should really work on that aspect of Batman and stop using children as sidekicks) and other villians, that would actually be suprising. A big "f u" to Batman - hey, no jokes, no tricks, I just literally killed everyone important - deal with it. Now that would be Joker and SNyder changing things up.