HBO's The Night Of

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:I see many people hating on the finale... wow... glad I'm in my bubble here sometimes.
The reception seems fairly mixed. The handling of Chandra's character in particular has received a lot of criticism.

-Vader
I can understand she was naive and inexperienced, but seriously what a stupid character. Also, I can understand some of the criticism regarding micro-details during the trial. After so many detective series of various quality I could've told you...
...there's no touching that knife without a glove at least, let alone waving it in front of the jury.
But the big picture is way more important here, and the way it was delivered by some fine performances. If you want a 100% accuracy, or 99%, go for 'The Wire', that beast will forever be untouchable.

Yeah I just don't get the Chandra thing. She was a likable character and it just seems like they destroyed her character for no reason, her career is destroyed and they never needed the mistrial, and she doesn't even end up with Naz unless you want to pretend off camera they get together. Also it's weird that Box just finally decided to ask where Andrea was coming from before she got into the cab... lol. I suppose stranger things have happened. It was cool to finally see Box do some real detective work and redeem himself. I loved the seen where he confronts the financial adviser. He handled it like a boss

Nobody puts Box in the box... or, something like that.

Kinda wish Box and Naz had some final words.

Box is boss yo.

About Chandra
she is definitely the best female character in the show, I mean she basically convinced Naz not to take the deal. So it really is sad how she got swept aside. And no matter how much I wanted it (there was plenty of build up before the kiss), a romance would have been too forced.

Well, that was depressing. I'm not complaining, though. I'm just gonna tell myself I saw the real True Detective Season 2 (but, you know, of course, minus any actual detecting and philosophy except for the obvious, unspoken ones).

Has anyone seen the original, british version that starred Ben Whishaw?

No but apparently the HBO remake was pretty faithful to the original and didn't deviate very much

I just remembered one scene that made zero sense.
Chandra playing mule for Naz. That was hilarious
What a stupid, unbelievable, weak character.

And imo not performed very well either, shame

Turturro was the best, that final speech, damn
Also kudos to Bill Camp. Checkin his IMDb and it looks like I've seen most of his films and I felt like I had never seen him before starting this show! Dude completely appears in his characters, fantastic

Ahmed did great, same goes for Michael K Williams

I liked the show but I guess I expected something more when it came to the end. It's so different compared to the first episode. I get it of course, given the situations and such but still.. It made you feel like you were going to open pandora's box or something but instead you only see a little peak. Actually, I quite dig that.
Never been fond of the Jury system tbh but I also feel like that's opening pandora's box lololol

Thanks Zaillian :clap:

I can't believe it's over