Chappie (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ComptonTerry wrote:My god did this suck. I loved D9 and thought Elysium was above average and just a little short of great. This was just terrible. Every character is terrible, and the characters played by Die Antwoord are some of the worst, most annoying, most fucking detestable characters I've seen in some time. This movie is going to become a classic example of bad character development and just plain simple bad screenwriting. I am now convinced beyond reasonable doubt Blomkamp needs to stop writing and just stick to Directing.
Damn...so not even worth watching?

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:My god did this suck. I loved D9 and thought Elysium was above average and just a little short of great. This was just terrible. Every character is terrible, and the characters played by Die Antwoord are some of the worst, most annoying, most fucking detestable characters I've seen in some time. This movie is going to become a classic example of bad character development and just plain simple bad screenwriting. I am now convinced beyond reasonable doubt Blomkamp needs to stop writing and just stick to Directing.
Damn...so not even worth watching?
It's Blomkamp, you don't even have to ask.

But guys...CHAPPIE HAS FEELINGS!!!

If you didn't like it, I think maybe you just didn't understand the message of the film.

Hahaha

dealwithit wrote:But guys...CHAPPIE HAS FEELINGS!!!

If you didn't like it, I think maybe you just didn't understand the message of the film.
I believe you're onto something. Could this be the inspiration behind the film?

In my opinion no, and I say this as a fan of both Blomkamps previous films. I think it's really bad. I enjoyed Jupiter Ascending more than this. In addition to the terribly written characters, the tone is also all over the place. It reminded me of the Star Wars prequels that way. Major contrasts in the tone that just don't work at all. I can't see many of the movies coming out later this year ending up this bad. It's not like Left Behind 2014 level bad, but it is pretty bad.

Chappie (the unexpected virtue of ignorance)-

It’s a film not at odds with itself so much as logic itself, so committed to defying rationality, reason, or otherwise common sense that the only appropriate response is surrender. Dialogue is airy, empty, and at times as random as the laws of quantum physics. If there’s a scientific equation to understanding Chappie, I don’t possess it. I can’t provide a plot summary, as there isn’t a plot. I can’t rightfully describe characters, because there aren’t any. Chappie is a high budget parody of a movie that doesn’t exist, a This is Spinal Tap if heavy metal was never invented.

What I can say is that Chappie is about a robot developer name Deon Wilson (Dev Patel), who sees a motivational cat poster and believes he can do anything he wants to do. He steals a defunct robot that a shouting Sigourney Weaver (who plays his boss) told him not to, all so he can install “consciousness.dat.” Or, A.I.. Real artificial intelligence. Deon succeeds, creating a robot brought to life by Sharlto Copley through motion capture. He works for a robotics company that sells “scouts”, the robots you've seen on the posters and trailers, to the police. The scouts have been wildly successful in implementation and we hear crime rates are way down. But this is bad. Very bad. I don’t know why, but Blomkamp said so.

No part of Chappie makes sense, from its non-themes about police states (the police went from robotically following orders to being literal robots-hurhurhur), to lines, to motivations, to the story, to even how it got made. Watching Chappie is a chaotic mindfuck that defies explanation or category. Zimmer’s score is the only aspect that works in a traditional sense, but what’s so strange, what I, even as I type this right now, can’t understand, is that Chappie completely works non-traditionally. It’s a terrible movie with terrible everything, but its loyal and even stubborn commitment to utter irrationality slowly overwhelmed me with a kinetic chaos that can only be called freeing. Chappie is a liberating, misconceived project on every level, devoutly mad and indirectly engaging. To borrow a phrase from Birdman, Chappie demonstrates the unexpected virtue of ignorance. It is, so far, my favorite film of 2015.

D+

Full Review:
http://themetaplex.com/reviews/2015/cha ... vie-review

-Vader

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Some of it was stupid but it had interesting things to say and Sharlto Copley gave a dam good performance. I'd give it a B.

Alright all you fuck mothers. Y'all need to give Chappie a chance yo. I was suspect going in, but it ended up being a great experience. Ok yes Ninja and Yolandi were not the best performers, which I blame on the forced elocution, yet they fulfilled their roles as misfit guardians of Chappie. Dev Patel is Dev Patel. Hugh Jackman is actually forgettable in this, even though it is a vital role. Sharlto Copely as Chappie is fantastic - I would easily put him on the same level as Wikus van der Merwe yo

I have to give a shoutout to Brandon Auret, this guy
I have been watching him all my life on local soapies and drama series, and I have never seen him like that before yo. Amazing. That character is probably based off someone he knows, because you will encounter people like that here.

As a working class South African I immediately recognised a theme of gangster culture in SA. Just how they "recruit" members when they are young and don't know shit, and they manipulate and brainwash you; thus the terrible characters. Gangsterism is real yo.

Now regarding the ending:
So what if the science isn't sound logic yo. It's science fiction. Chappie is like a distant relative of Ultron, but no one gives him shit :P

Watched it. I'll take Elysium over Chappie and District 9 over Elysium.

Right now even Prometheus sequel seems like a better idea than Alien 5 tbh.