Chappie (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The way it got to its point I felt was rather tedious, and and I felt alienated from the abrupt U-Turn in tone, going from something colorful to something that's completely poignant and bizarre. It felt like it was scrambling to get to the end, but still wanted to shove as much themes in as possible before it got to its final scene.

xWhereAmI? wrote:Lately people want everything to fail or they say looks horrible. I have been on board with this since the first trailer. I dont get how it looks so bad...
Yeah I agree, I don't think this looks bad at all. Doesn't look great, and I am not very hyped up about it but I do think it looks like a fine time at the theater. It won't surprise me if it does turn out kinda meh but I don't necessarily think it'a going too

xWhereAmI? wrote:Lately people want everything to fail or they say looks horrible. I have been on board with this since the first trailer. I dont get how it looks so bad...
It looks corny and predictable to me. From the get-go.

Allstar wrote:Predictions for the RT score for this movie?

I say 19% with plenty of pans for Jackman.

£

Forum Pro
Law
It's a movie where a high concept is grafted on to occasionally uncomfortable level of realism and where, at the end, humanity is once again essentially doomed, giving way to something other. Still, between the charming Copley performance, the ingenious visuals, the absolutely incredible all-electronic Hans Zimmer score (seriously, this is one of his best ever), and the propulsive narrative thrust (Blomkamp is rarely singled out for how swiftly he moves things along, plot holes be damned), there is a lot to appreciate and even love about "Chappie." It just would have been nice to see Blomkamp stretch himself as an artist and not return to so many familiar tropes
B

-Indiewire

Lmao
this South African spin on “Short Circuit” displays the same handheld immediacy and scene-setting verve as its predecessors, but all in service of a chaotically plotted story and a central character so frankly unappealing he almost makes Jar-Jar Binks seem like tolerable company by comparison.
http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/fi ... 201445845/

BlairCo wrote:The way it got to its point I felt was rather tedious, and and I felt alienated from the abrupt U-Turn in tone, going from something colorful to something that's completely poignant and bizarre. It felt like it was scrambling to get to the end, but still wanted to shove as much themes in as possible before it got to its final scene.
How is it bizarre? It's a fairly brutal look at the value of artificial experience. It's a pretty close cousin to Inception in that sense.

There's no way he could be Jar Jar level bad.

I wouldn't doubt it. He was already annoying me in the trailers.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
BlairCo wrote:The way it got to its point I felt was rather tedious, and and I felt alienated from the abrupt U-Turn in tone, going from something colorful to something that's completely poignant and bizarre. It felt like it was scrambling to get to the end, but still wanted to shove as much themes in as possible before it got to its final scene.
How is it bizarre? It's a fairly brutal look at the value of artificial experience. It's a pretty close cousin to Inception in that sense.
It's change in tone. It began to feel like a completely different film once it dived into that third act, and I didn't like it.