R.I.P. Roger Ebert

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
REST IN PEACE.

Damn, I am so shocked right now. RIP Roger Ebert! :cry:

JohnConstantine wrote:I just read his "Leave of Peesence" article two days ago. Maybe he didn't know at the time but it's such a heartwarming goodbye to us all now.
The entire thing feels like a great memoir. I don't think he knew for sure, but I have a feeling he thought there was a chance it may be soon.

I absolutely love the fact that the last few words of the piece are "I'll see you at the movies", that's such a perfect high-note to go out on and seems metaphorically appropriate.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

A common misconception is that Gene and I never agree. The truth is more often than not we do agree. Some films are obviously good or obviously bad. That just leaves the ones in the middle for Gene to be wrong about.
[on Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr. (1999)] The ability of so many people to live comfortably with the idea of capital punishment is perhaps a clue to how so many Europeans were able to live with the idea of the Holocaust: Once you accept the notion that the state has the right to kill someone and the right to define what is a capital crime, aren't you halfway there?
BlairCo wrote:
chom wrote:I guess that movie The Host will be remembered, after all--as the last flick Roger Ebert ever reviewed.

http://rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 29980/1001
That sucks. He should have reviewed out in style.
Well, Death doesn't care about style

Goodbye Ebert.
:cry:

Cilogy wrote:
JohnConstantine wrote:I just read his "Leave of Peesence" article two days ago. Maybe he didn't know at the time but it's such a heartwarming goodbye to us all now.
The entire thing feels like a great memoir. I don't think he knew for sure, but I have a feeling he thought there was a chance it may be soon.

I absolutely love the fact that the last few words of the piece are "I'll see you at the movies", that's such a perfect high-note to go out on and seems metaphorically appropriate.
chaz said he died before they were gonna take home for hospice care

"leave of presence" was his goodbye-without-saying-goodbye

Apparently Ebert's last official review will be To The Wonder.

BlairCo wrote:
chom wrote:I guess that movie The Host will be remembered, after all--as the last flick Roger Ebert ever reviewed.

http://rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 29980/1001
That sucks. He should have reviewed out in style.
He went out with ultimate style. Ultimate.
“So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I’ll see you at the movies.”

It doesn't get any cooler and more heartfelt than that.

This was also written two years ago. I haven't seen it in this thread.

http://www.salon.com/2011/09/15/roger_ebert/