Spotlight (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Peace wrote:RIFA I'm not biased. I also said I don't want this stupid movie to be made. I just take issue the church would try and cover something like that up. I don't go around making Catholic jokes or act like the Catholic Church is responsible. I just am not a fan of how they tried to cover it up. I know anyone would try to cover something like this up but it's still wrong. I don't like anyone who covers up abuse. I don't think the Chruch is a nesting ground for pervs. The Church just did not handle the situation very well. And that is very much news because the Church tries to tell us how to live. It was very hypicritical.

That's what gets me. Also I'm sure there is child abuse going on in all the demoninations. It happens everywhere. Not just at church. And it really gets to me.. that people would cover that stuff up. Teachers get shuffled around after they bang students alot of the time. My 8th grade teacher had fucked one of my friends' dad while he was in school.

I'm sick of the shit being covered up.
Then I agree with 80% of this. I just don't like when stuff is blown out of proportion and generalized.

Now I have several questions which I'd like an honest answer for:

What is scarier...

Being abused by a member of an organization that aims at teaching people how to live their personal lives even though it's not a necessary thing nor it is fundamental to society?

or

Being abused by a member of an organization that is mandatory to the well-being of our current society, that exist to protect you and your family, your well-being, and offer you security on all levels? Being abused by a member of an organization rudimentary to our society, that held an oath that he'll dedicate his life, talent, and wisdom to protect human life?

Here is where I strongly believe the media is wrong and has an obvious agenda...

If one priest from Oklahoma rapes a 8 year old boy then it's gonna be the scandal of the season... It's gonna be everywhere. But when DynCorp was found responsible for prostitution, human trafficking, and so on... why that was left out and carried so well under the radar? Oh... matter of fact, after they lost the court trial... why were they left alone? Why are they still active as an organization?

Well I'll tell you why. because DynCorp is a "global government services provider in support of U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives, delivering support solutions for defense, diplomacy, and international development."

So the media can't trash them like they trash that priest, they can't create much fuss about them like they do with that priest. Let's make TV shows and talk about what can be done with these abusive priests, let's interview people and create such a fuss around that cuz religious controversy sells and we shouldn't even bother with the real negatives brought by the organizations that should protect us in the first place.

Let's look at something else. Two Pennsylvania judges and two child care firms (PA Child Care & Western PA Child Care) were involved in human and child trafficking. Why is that that scandal lasted for 2 days?

Why there are more than 120 movies and documentaries released in the last 20 years that talk about Catholic Church and child abuses and only less than 50 movies and documentaries that talk about human trafficking by politicians/judges/medical personnel/gov agencies/humanitarian agencies? You don't think this is wrong and unfair?

Do I have the right to be pissed when I see generalizations and biased media coverage and overblown things?
Last edited by RIFA on April 3rd, 2013, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIFA wrote:
Peace wrote:RIFA I'm not biased. I also said I don't want this stupid movie to be made. I just take issue the church would try and cover something like that up. I don't go around making Catholic jokes or act like the Catholic Church is responsible. I just am not a fan of how they tried to cover it up. I know anyone would try to cover something like this up but it's still wrong. I don't like anyone who covers up abuse. I don't think the Chruch is a nesting ground for pervs. The Church just did not handle the situation very well. And that is very much news because the Church tries to tell us how to live. It was very hypicritical.

That's what gets me. Also I'm sure there is child abuse going on in all the demoninations. It happens everywhere. Not just at church. And it really gets to me.. that people would cover that stuff up. Teachers get shuffled around after they bang students alot of the time. My 8th grade teacher had fucked one of my friends' dad while he was in school.

I'm sick of the shit being covered up.
Then I agree with 80% of this. I just don't like when stuff is blown out of proportion and generalized.

Now I have several questions which I'd like an honest answer for:

What is scarier...

Being abused by a member of an organization that aims at teaching people how to live their personal lives even though it's not a necessary thing nor it is fundamental to society?

or

Being abused by a member of an organization that is mandatory to the well-being of our current society, that exist to protect you and your family, your well-being, and offer you security on all levels? Being abused by a member of an organization rudimentary to our society, that held an oath that he'll dedicate his life, talent, and wisdom to protect human life?

Here is where I strongly believe the media is wrong and has an obvious agenda...

If one priest for Oklahoma rapes a 8 year old boy then it's gonna be the scandal of the season... It's gonna be everywhere. But when DynCorp was found responsible for prostitution, human trafficking, and so on... why that was left out and carried so well under the radar? Oh... matter of fact, after they lost the court trial... why were they left alone? Why are they still active as an organization?

Well I'll tell you why. because DynCorp is a "global government services provider in support of U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives, delivering support solutions for defense, diplomacy, and international development."

So the media can't trash them like they trash that priest, they can't create much fuss about them like they do with that priest. Let's make TV shows and talk about what can be done with these abusive priests, let's interview people and create such a fuss around that cuz religious controversy sells.

Let's look at something else. Two Pennsylvania judges and two child care firms (PA Child Care & Western PA Child Care) were involved in human and child trafficking. Why is that that scandal lasted for 2 days?

Why there are more than 120 movies and documentaries released in the last 20 years that talk about Catholic Church and child abuses and only less than 50 movies and documentaries that talk about human trafficking by politicians/judges/medical personnel/gov agencies/humanitarian agencies? You don't think this is wrong and unfair?

Do I have the right to be pissed when I see generalizations and biased media coverage and overblown things?
You def do. And the second is worse. But people who go to church do view it as being essential. But you did make your point and I see why you are mad at the media. It's bullshit. They don't care about the kids.
Say Girl

RIFA wrote:
Cilogy wrote:RIFA you could stop being a jerk for just a second and realize that my comment has nothing to do with my beliefs or my biases or whatever the fuck. I was talking about children being abused on this situation because it was brought up, and regardless of whatever else is going on in the world it's still an issue.

Please stop getting offended by anything even remotely connected to religion, you don't always have to storm in and save the day.
I prefer to be a jerk when I see comments like yours and Peace's that are totally biased. Nobody said this shouldn't be fixed. I SAD IT SHOULD BE FIXED. But acting like it's the god damn worst thing that happened since the Holocaust is not sane either. Not to mention making a movie about it that will obviously push even more crap talk and induce the idea that the Church is responsible for such behaviors, while guys like you will push this idiotic myth even further.

Ignoring the terrifying things that happen outside of church and basically barely caring about that because those guys didn't get caught like a priest with no money in Atlanta did, and GENERALIZING saying "kids won't have their lives ruined" cuz you dealt with few priests is not healthy and it's plain wrong and hypocritical. GENERALIZING and making it look like religion is responsible for a big part of the kids that are being abused IS WRONG.

How about make some sense before storm me and accuse me of being a jerk? I defend logic and fairness and what some of you do is definitely not that. I'm just sick of seeing generalized comments from y'all. Y'all as worse as those people in the Vatican who couldn't deal with what some of their own members did and tried to avoid responsibility. Riding the media's own obvious agenda just cuz you don't have sympathy for the Church is not fair. You might as well go rally against the Church with "NO TO VATICAN" posters held up... you're no less different to me than those people with the comments you posted here and in some other threads about this stuff. I avoided getting in many discussions on this board lately, mainly because sometimes it's a waste of time to get in an argument, and because I'm also having a pretty difficult time now focusing on stuff, but some of these comments in this thread were just too much.
You still don't get it. What I'm telling you is I'm not ignoring things happening outside this issue, I was just making a comment on this specific subject because the topic was brought up. If you want to talk about other problems then I'd be more than happy to agree with you. You can't expect me to comment on every single atrocity at all times.

Talking about children's lives being ruined is not generalizing, that's literally something that happens when a child is abused, sexually or otherwise. Whether it's the Vatican or some other corporation that commits trafficking or whatever, they all deserve attention. In fact even those other examples you brought up deserve media overblow too, it's just that this thread is talking about one specific issue brought up in a film and I wanted to comment on that. I was NOT talking about religion, I was NOT blaming religion for being responsible for this, this does NOT have anything to do with whatever my biases may or may not be.

You're claiming to be on the side of logic and fairness, but you absolutely refused to understand the context in which I was speaking. Also, saying that we're no less different from the people in the Vatican trying to avoid responsibility is not making you look anymore "logical" or "fair". You're looking at it from a very narrow-minded perspective and you immediately start shooting people down before understanding what people are actually talking about. If you want to attack the film industry for whatever personal issues you have with it, then be my guest, but please do not take my comments out of context.

I like having discussions with you when you are not freaking out, so please, both our sakes, calm down and stop shooting from the hip.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Before going deeper into your post I'll address the "taking out of context" issue first.
Cilogy wrote:You're claiming to be on the side of logic and fairness, but you absolutely refused to understand the context in which I was speaking.
I believe these statements...
Cilogy wrote:What tells you it doesn't happen that much?
Cilogy wrote:preventing future kids from having their lives ruined is still worth the media overblow.
Can't be taken out of context cuz they're basically singular statements. There was no context.

The first one obviously asks a rhetorical question. You obviously believe(d) that these things happen on a daily basis since you asked such question. If you wouldn't have thought this way then you would have simply asked Vader for some info on this matter and not approach him with such rhetorical question.

The second statement indicates that you really think overblowing such an act will prevent future kids from having their lives ruined. This statement alone is an element of generalization since the % of the child abuse claims by members of the catholic church stands at the bottom between institutions/organizations. Overblowing such an act will obviously not prevent anything from happening. This is the same thing prince once brought up in a discussion about serial killers and these killing sprees. The more you talk about them more they happen, especially the small things. So it's actually advised to make a huge case out of something like DynCorp than make a huge case out of something like a priest molester. The priest should be punished and serve his sentence and the Vatican should deal with their issues in a more evident, direct, and harsh way.

So no... there was nothing taken out of context.

Now let's get back to these statements of yours.
Cilogy wrote:You can't expect me to comment on every single atrocity at all times.
Yet I see you present all the time when something negative related to religion pops up. It's either a gif or an ironic comment.
Cilogy wrote:Also, saying that we're no less different from the people in the Vatican trying to avoid responsibility is not making you look anymore "logical" or "fair"
I'm sorry but to me generalizing always been a danger and always led to terrible actions. Generalization is pretty close to irresponsibility. Hence why it's pretty much the same to me as "avoiding responsibility". Both are dangerous acts. Wonder which is the more dangerous tho and which led to more serious stuff in the past...
Cilogy wrote:You're looking at it from a very narrow-minded perspective and you immediately start shooting people down before understanding what people are actually talking about. If you want to attack the film industry for whatever personal issues you have with it, then be my guest, but please do not take my comments out of context.

I like having discussions with you when you are not freaking out, so please, both our sakes, calm down and stop shooting from the hip.
Well I would actually agree with this if you weren't the guy to post about the "typical RIFA comments" which look pretty identical to what you just wrote.

Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams in Talks to Star in Catholic Church Sex Scandal Drama
Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton and Stanley Tucci are all in talks to star in Tom McCarthy's “Spotlight,” which follows the Pulitzer Prize-winning Boston Globe journalists who exposed the Catholic Church's decades-long cover-up of child molestation in Massachusetts, multiple individuals familiar with the prestige project have told TheWrap.

Ruffalo is nearing a deal to play Michael Rezendes, while Rachel McAdams is being eyed for the female lead of Sacha Pfeiffer. McAdams has an official offer, though she has not started formal negotiations yet.
http://www.thewrap.com/mark-ruffalo-mic ... exclusive/
Open Road is teaming with Participant Media and Anonymous Content on Spotlight, a drama that Tom McCarthy will direct about the Boston Globe investigation into pedophile priests and a shameful cover-up in the Catholic Church that allowed them to prey on children for years.Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, Michael Keaton, Aaron Eckhart, Liev Schreiber and Stanley Tucci will star. It’s shaping up to be a big movie, with Anonymous Content producing, Open Road releasing domestic and eOne selling international. McCarthy helmed The Visitor and scripted the animated film Up, and the script is by The West Wing‘s Josh Singer and McCarthy.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/open-ro ... n-to-star/

Having just watched the Gibney doc, very interested to see this.

I didn't realize this had that good a cast attached.

Color me interested.

DoubleD wrote:I didn't realize this had that good a cast attached.

Color me interested.