Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 55476
Joined: May 2010
Location: Arrakis
Ancient Egyptians were all-

Nah. Too much wasted energy for a half-baked product with missing soul.

User avatar
Posts: 18788
Joined: June 2012
Location: stuck in 2020
Ruth wrote:Just pls don't start this "Ancient Egyptians were all black" BS again
They weren't so why are you calling this a racist film? Only because the slaves are black? The Jews were treated even more horrible than them. Besides, if it's racist to cast white people in non-white people roles' then it's also racist if black people are cast when it's a white people role. i.e. Elba as Bond.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Nomis1700 wrote: if it's racist to cast white people in non-white people roles' then it's also racist if black people are cast when it's a white people role. i.e. Elba as Bond.
Comparing a biographical role with a fantasy role.... :blank:
Last edited by RIFA on April 1st, 2015, 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Posts: 18788
Joined: June 2012
Location: stuck in 2020
RIFA wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote: if it's racist to cast white people in non-white people roles' then it's also racist if black people are cast when it's a white people role. i.e. Elba as Bond.
Comparing a biographical role with a fantasy role.... :blank:
He's white in the books. Besides, it are all movie roles after all so I can make the comparison.
Last edited by Nomis on April 1st, 2015, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Nomis1700 wrote:
RIFA wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote: if it's racist to cast white people in non-white people roles' then it's also racist if black people are cast when it's a white people role. i.e. Elba as Bond.
Comparing a biographical role with a fantasy role.... :blank:
He's white in the books.
I meant comparing reality with fiction......................
Last edited by RIFA on April 1st, 2015, 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Posts: 18788
Joined: June 2012
Location: stuck in 2020
Well I just edited my comment.

Bigger yes but that doesn't diminishes my statement that much.
Last edited by Nomis on April 1st, 2015, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Nomis1700 wrote:Well I just edited my comment.
Dude are you kidding me?

Casting a white guy as MLK is obviously a way bigger issue than casting Elba as Bond...

What you claimed made no sense whatsoever.

Posts: 8242
Joined: August 2012
Nomis1700 wrote:
Ruth wrote:Just pls don't start this "Ancient Egyptians were all black" BS again
They weren't so why are you calling this a racist film? Only because the slaves are black? The Jews were treated even more horrible than them. Besides, if it's racist to cast white people in non-white people roles' then it's also racist if black people are cast when it's a white people role. i.e. Elba as Bond.
WHAT? Did I say something?

Seriously my mood is too fucked up to start arguing with you right now. I haven't seen Exodus and I didn't call this film outright racist, I was responding to SilverHeart and his nonsensical post. I'll repeat once again - I haven't seen Exodus, so I can't say if the movie's racist or not (although the backlash it garnered was funny indeed), but I did hear minority actors were only there for slave roles basically. Just because all Egyptians weren't black doesn't mean they could not have given more chances to actors/actresses of Egyptian/North African ancestry before filling the spots with people like Sigourney Weaver. There may have been white Egyptians, but not all white people look the same and I'm pretty sure most of them didn't look like Weaver.

User avatar
Posts: 18788
Joined: June 2012
Location: stuck in 2020
Ruth wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote:
Ruth wrote:Just pls don't start this "Ancient Egyptians were all black" BS again
They weren't so why are you calling this a racist film? Only because the slaves are black? The Jews were treated even more horrible than them. Besides, if it's racist to cast white people in non-white people roles' then it's also racist if black people are cast when it's a white people role. i.e. Elba as Bond.
WHAT? Did I say something?

Seriously my mood is too fucked up to start arguing with you right now. I haven't seen Exodus and I didn't call this film outright racist, I was responding to SilverHeart and his nonsensical post. I'll repeat once again - I haven't seen Exodus, so I can't say if the movie's racist or not (although the backlash it garnered was funny indeed), but I did hear minority actors were only there for slave roles basically. Just because all Egyptians weren't black doesn't mean they could not have given more chances to actors/actresses of Egyptian/North African ancestry before filling the spots with people like Sigourney Weaver. There may have been white Egyptians, but not all white people look the same and I'm pretty sure most of them didn't look like Weaver.
Well someone posted a pic of the sphinx on set and you said that Exodus was already a racist film. You can say your mood it too fucked up to start arguing and yet you do.
RIFA wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote:Well I just edited my comment.
Dude are you kidding me?

Casting a white guy as MLK is obviously a way bigger issue than casting Elba as Bond...

What you claimed made no sense whatsoever.
I edited again just when you posted. Anyway, you keep picking out what you say but neglect what I say about it being racist to cast black people in white peoples roles. Yes I said MLK is a bigger issue than Bond but that too (like this) is a movie role so it does matter.

Posts: 8242
Joined: August 2012
Nomis1700 wrote:
Ruth wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote: They weren't so why are you calling this a racist film? Only because the slaves are black? The Jews were treated even more horrible than them. Besides, if it's racist to cast white people in non-white people roles' then it's also racist if black people are cast when it's a white people role. i.e. Elba as Bond.
WHAT? Did I say something?

Seriously my mood is too fucked up to start arguing with you right now. I haven't seen Exodus and I didn't call this film outright racist, I was responding to SilverHeart and his nonsensical post. I'll repeat once again - I haven't seen Exodus, so I can't say if the movie's racist or not (although the backlash it garnered was funny indeed), but I did hear minority actors were only there for slave roles basically. Just because all Egyptians weren't black doesn't mean they could not have given more chances to actors/actresses of Egyptian/North African ancestry before filling the spots with people like Sigourney Weaver. There may have been white Egyptians, but not all white people look the same and I'm pretty sure most of them didn't look like Weaver.
Well someone posted a pic of the sphinx on set and you said that Exodus was already a racist film. You can say your mood it too fucked up to start arguing and yet you do.
You're a funny guy, I'll give you that. The general consensus (judging from people's opinions) of Exodus is that it's a pretty racist film. I didn't state that I THINK it is, merely because I haven't seen it. If ever do it, I'll be sure to come back and let you know what I think, even if no one gives a shit really.

Post Reply