Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
HorrorBiz wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:Still not sure why Exodus wasn't sufficient.
This film's existence screwed it over: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053804/

It is an awful title, though. They should just call it 'Gods and Kings' or something. The title as it is now looks like a video game or straight to DVD flick.

Detailed breakdown of a 7 minute showreel was posted on IMDB:
Showreel opens with an areal shot of Egypt, slaves laboring on buildings and old royal couple on the throne.

Cut to Moses and Ramses on chariots saluting and then being engaged in a battle, swords clanking, spears are thrown and one apparently struck Ramses chariot and broke it. He almost got crushed by it but Moses saves him.

Cut to royal palace where Ramses praises Moses for saving his life. This is almost verbatim: "If I were in your place, I would do exactly the same for you, you know that." Moses gives him a reassuring smile as in "I know."

We hear John Turturo (Ramses's father?) say:" You are as close as brothers, promise that you will keep each other safe."

Cut to Ben Kingsley talking to Moses. This is almost verbatim: "Do you deserve to be a pharaoh? Yes. Are you going to become one? No, but not for reasons you think of."

Kinglsey voiceover:" Your parents didn't tell you the truth? In the year of your birth, there was a prophecy about the liberator who would free all slaves". This goes over scenes of slaves being hanged (3 at the time while Ramses is watching), slaves being whipped, Moses on a horse looking grimly at overseer whipping a slave and then Moses grabbing overseer's hand.

Cut to royal palace. Ramses visibly agitated:" my spies tell me that you are a Hebrew...is that true?" Moses literally tries to laugh it off - he starts to laugh as fake as Rocket Raccoon and say something akin to "c'mon!" but Ramses goes into hammy fit: "IS.THAT. TRUUUUU?????" he yells and swings his sword as if he's about to strike something or someone (not Moses). Moses deflects the strike with his sword and out-hams Ramses with "YES! YEEEES!"

Cut to Sigourney Weaver (Ramses mother?):"Don't just expel him, KILL HIM!"

Cut to Moses in the desert, lying on the sand,looking rugged, sick and delirious while a bush above him is burning with white-blue flame.

Cut to Moses and his very beautiful young wife. Moses: "What's the most important thing to you?" Wife: "You. I'm afraid that you will leave." Moses:"I will never leave you."

Cut to Moses and his son. He kisses and hugs his son saying "I'm coming back." I instantly thought of Interstellar.

Cut to Moses in Egypt, speaking to Ramses: "I came to warn you that something is coming...something much bigger than you and I...survival of Egypt depends on it."

Cut to Plagues of Egypt:

locust swarm covers the sky, Kingsley's watching in amazement

Queen of Egypt wakes up all covered in scorpions (very The Mummy)

blood starts to spread over rice paddies

a huge fish with sharp teeth (shark?) jumps out of water, bites a man, overturns the boat and we see underwater shot of drown men

massive hale, Ramses with blooded face (idiot looked up)

Ramses muttering:"I am God. I am God" and then finishing it with massive ham "I. AM. GODDDDD!!!!"

Cut to nightfall attack, fire arrows hit houses, they start burning, people running aimlessly.

Cut to daytime. Ramses's minion: "We cannot recapture all slaves!" Ramses: "There will be no recapturing" or something to that effect (as in "take no prisoners")

Cut to Egyptian army charging while triplet tornados swirl in the background

Cut to Moses in front of the sea:" We have Egyptian army before us and the sea behind us! DO.NOT.BE.AFFRAID!" At that cue some people start walking into the sea.

Cut to Moses telling his warriors (yes, he assembled a defense force consisting of Aaron Paul on a horse and some extras) to be ready.

Cut to battle between Moses men and Ramses men, we see both former brothers engaged in swordfight, throwing spears and riding and all that ass-kickery takes place...in front of...a giant MOFO TSUNAMI! We see birds eye shot of the tsunami and then tsunami crashing onto some Egyptians and then the reel ended with the shot of a tsunami and the horse that also ended the first trailer.

IMO, this looks like a big, fun blockbuster that's gonna clean up at the boxoffice this holiday season. It definitely isn't like Noah. It has OTT spectacle and action that's required from blockbusters these days (battle + tornados + tsunami, all in one scene, nuff said), it's very action packed, production values are lavish if somewhat fake looking (overuse of CGI) and acting is deliciously hammy as it should be in a Biblical epic. I don't see major awards nominations but it should do great with techs.

Sounds great, just what Ridley needed - Kingdom of Heaven with Gladiator's sense of box-office draw.

MuzzleSuarez wrote:Detailed breakdown of a 7 minute showreel was posted on IMDB:
Showreel opens with an areal shot of Egypt, slaves laboring on buildings and old royal couple on the throne.

Cut to Moses and Ramses on chariots saluting and then being engaged in a battle, swords clanking, spears are thrown and one apparently struck Ramses chariot and broke it. He almost got crushed by it but Moses saves him.

Cut to royal palace where Ramses praises Moses for saving his life. This is almost verbatim: "If I were in your place, I would do exactly the same for you, you know that." Moses gives him a reassuring smile as in "I know."

We hear John Turturo (Ramses's father?) say:" You are as close as brothers, promise that you will keep each other safe."

Cut to Ben Kingsley talking to Moses. This is almost verbatim: "Do you deserve to be a pharaoh? Yes. Are you going to become one? No, but not for reasons you think of."

Kinglsey voiceover:" Your parents didn't tell you the truth? In the year of your birth, there was a prophecy about the liberator who would free all slaves". This goes over scenes of slaves being hanged (3 at the time while Ramses is watching), slaves being whipped, Moses on a horse looking grimly at overseer whipping a slave and then Moses grabbing overseer's hand.

Cut to royal palace. Ramses visibly agitated:" my spies tell me that you are a Hebrew...is that true?" Moses literally tries to laugh it off - he starts to laugh as fake as Rocket Raccoon and say something akin to "c'mon!" but Ramses goes into hammy fit: "IS.THAT. TRUUUUU?????" he yells and swings his sword as if he's about to strike something or someone (not Moses). Moses deflects the strike with his sword and out-hams Ramses with "YES! YEEEES!"

Cut to Moses in the desert, lying on the sand,looking rugged, sick and delirious while a bush above him is burning with white-blue flame.

Cut to Moses and his very beautiful young wife. Moses: "What's the most important thing to you?" Wife: "You. I'm afraid that you will leave." Moses:"I will never leave you."

Cut to Moses and his son. He kisses and hugs his son saying "I'm coming back." I instantly thought of Interstellar.

Cut to Moses in Egypt, speaking to Ramses: "I came to warn you that something is coming...something much bigger than you and I...survival of Egypt depends on it."

Cut to Plagues of Egypt:

a huge fish with sharp teeth (shark?) jumps out of water, bites a man, overturns the boat and we see underwater shot of drown men

Ramses muttering:"I am God. I am God" and then finishing it with massive ham "I. AM. GODDDDD!!!!"

Cut to nightfall attack, fire arrows hit houses, they start burning, people running aimlessly.

Cut to daytime. Ramses's minion: "We cannot recapture all slaves!" Ramses: "There will be no recapturing" or something to that effect (as in "take no prisoners")

Cut to Moses in front of the sea:" We have Egyptian army before us and the sea behind us! DO.NOT.BE.AFFRAID!" At that cue some people start walking into the sea.

Cut to Moses telling his warriors (yes, he assembled a defense force consisting of Aaron Paul on a horse and some extras) to be ready.

Cut to battle between Moses men and Ramses men, we see both former brothers engaged in swordfight, throwing spears and riding and all that ass-kickery takes place...in front of...a giant MOFO TSUNAMI! We see birds eye shot of the tsunami and then tsunami crashing onto some Egyptians and then the reel ended with the shot of a tsunami and the horse that also ended the first trailer.

IMO, this looks like a big, fun blockbuster that's gonna clean up at the boxoffice this holiday season. It definitely isn't like Noah. It has OTT spectacle and action that's required from blockbusters these days (battle + tornados + tsunami, all in one scene, nuff said), it's very action packed, production values are lavish if somewhat fake looking (overuse of CGI) and acting is deliciously hammy as it should be in a Biblical epic. I don't see major awards nominations but it should do great with techs.
This is legit. A 7 minute showreel, however, I'm not sure.

Bacon wrote:
MuzzleSuarez wrote:Detailed breakdown of a 7 minute showreel was posted on IMDB:

Cut to Plagues of Egypt:

Sure. I think it was an estimation on the OP's part. Apparently Joel Edgerton REALLY hams it up but I don't mind that at all, I do often like a good OTT villainous performance.

Bacon wrote:

Cut to Plagues of Egypt:

It's from IMDB, so grain of salt. I mean, based on that description that means they showed a reel that literally has every major story element in it.

Guy from Collider:

@colliderfrosty: About to watch 30 minutes of EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS at Fox with Christian Bale doing a Q&A. Look for a… http://t.co/br3xJ1rcnN

SilverHeart wrote:
Bacon wrote:

Cut to Plagues of Egypt:

It's from IMDB, so grain of salt. I mean, based on that description that means they showed a reel that literally has every major story element in it.
It's legit.