Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 2:38 am
Artemis wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 4:22 pm

It just personally makes me uncomfortable now the more leftist I've gotten I guess. When I was liberal I didn't care so much.

I think comic book movies and nerdom kind of showcase the worst of hyper/late stage capitalism. I don't even read comic books anymore or even participate in the fandoms because I get such a high level of existential dread and i hate it.

I will still love Nolan's Batman trilogy no doubt but I guess overall I don't like what the fandom and culture has become if that makes any sense.
I dunno. not sure its a sign of 'late stage capitalism' that people are territorial over stuff they like and want more of. as much as this group of entitled peter pan syndrome man children crying into the void is a relatively new thing, the core behaviors here are definitely a darwinian thing leftover from when we were apes.

i guess im saying this was almost inevitable given our evolution + anonymity online + online

-Vader
Is it possible for it to be a mix of both? Market dominance and successful marketing and billions in box office probably triggered that Darwinian mechanism in people. It's rather sinister how Disney has so many people defending them for free so rabidly online.

If I'm going to go out of my way to shill for companies like that, send me a check for a year's rent at least lol.

disney buy me out 😭😭😭😭😭

"Hello Disney, yes hi. I will harass 5 Sony fans for you on Twitter if you buy me a Pat McGrath lipstick. Thank you."

i’ve been fighting dc fans for over 4 years i’m entitled to be on your payroll disney

just pm me

Pratham, your baseless speculations are completely wrong, I'm afraid. It was Russos decision. Downey has even mentioned this.

What is Holland's contract btw? One article states he's got two more films and another says one. How did they handle this with Garfield? Wasn't he supposed to star in at least one other TASM film, according to his contract?

I think Sony should just continue with Holland/Zendaya and just drop all MCU hints altogether, even though the previous two films are heavily embedded in that franchise. I just wouldn't mind Sony attracting more interesting directors to handle Spider-Man from now on.

They got a success on their hands with Hardy/Venom and Into the Spider-Verse was great.

Artemis wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 7:16 am
Is it possible for it to be a mix of both? Market dominance and successful marketing and billions in box office probably triggered that Darwinian mechanism in people. It's rather sinister how Disney has so many people defending them for free so rabidly online.

If I'm going to go out of my way to shill for companies like that, send me a check for a year's rent at least lol.
It is a mix of both, yeah. We have a core set of behaviors that are adapting to new circumstances. people literally riot when their favorite sport teams wins the world series. we have evolved to a very strange place.

-Vader

being wary of corporations isn't partisan thinking it's critical thinking

true true

also what is going to happen

what is most likely

Far from Home has grossed 400 million more than Amazing 2 (36%) on a considerably lower budget and has almost doubled the domestic gross of that one, while Sony is enjoying the benefits of their biggest IP being on the rise again with their video games and other Spidey related movies doing much better than they otherwise would with the direction they were taking after Raimi's departure.

The reported 30% share Disney was asking for according to THR, does hardly seem unfair considering the next Spidey flick might have done even better considering how well received the films currently are.

Also this is what Holland has said a while ago
I’d love to make a movie with Tom Hardy, and if we ever got the chance to make a Venom movie together, that would be super cool, but his movie would have to take place in the MCU because I’m not giving up that ticket.
Last edited by Master Virgo on August 23rd, 2019, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.