Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
No Way Home represents the peak, in my opinion. It is only downhill from here. Bob Iger very recently acknowledged D+ needs more content. I can't imagine Marvel movies making bank a 5-10 years from now.

It was great exploring an idea with superhero movies precisely because it was a new feeling. CGI came around just at the right time. Now nostalgia can't run things forever, the kids now don't have any anyway because they were not around back then. It is amazing how Disney was able to sell its service to so many adults but that's going away.

Quoting Bloomberg :

Wall Street, meanwhile, is growing skeptical that the company’s flagship streaming service, Disney+, will hit Chapek’s target of as many as 260 million subscribers in 2024. Disney shares are down about 16% this year, heading toward their worst annual performance since 2008. Morgan Stanley said the stock is suffering from a “crisis of confidence.”

Nolan saw this from far away and called out streaming services for their attempt to temporarily profit off stock fluctutation ("Their decision makes no economic sense and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction").

“The biggest problem that Disney is facing is Disney+ right now,” said Porter Bibb, a veteran media investor. “It’s not a profit segment. It’s kind of stalling in terms of subscribers. And it’s a question mark whether you can put a supremely popular and winning streamer together with comic book characters that keep getting recycled over and over again.” (from yesterday article)

Sources say WarnerMedia insiders have been hoping that Disney will follow its lead and shift its slate to streaming. But Disney, which had seven billion-dollar-grossing movies last year, isn’t about to do that. (from December last year)

Having recently watched DC's Doom Patrol tv show, there's definitely a way to make a serious, weird and simultaneously funny superhero story all at the same time...and the MCU ain't doing it (either in film or tv form) because it feels like the people making it are ashamed of the nonsensical and stranger aspects of these comicbook characters/stories and so they don't embrace them, which is likely why, for instance, moments that should have a serious emotional impact often get undercut by jokes...it does not explain the tv aesthetic of these films though.

I laughed, cried and empathised with all the main characters in Doom Patrol who are definitely very flawed individuals, yet the MCU struggles to make anything beyond two-dimensional characters out of this rich source material. It took them 3 films to do for Spiderman what Sam Raimi managed to get across in one. How do they do it?

Oh and Mr. Nobody on the show is a better villain than anything the MCU has been able to come up with so far.

The trailer might release at full moon today:

1. WandaVision
2. Avengers: Endgame
3. Eternals
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Spider-Man: No Way Home

6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
7. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
8. Thor: Ragnarok
9. Avengers: Infinity War
10. Black Panther
11. Loki

12. Iron Man Three
13. Spider-Man: Far from Home
14. Spider-Man: Homecoming
15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
16. Captain America: The First Avenger
17. Guardians of the Galaxy

18. Captain Marvel
19. Black Widow
20. Thor
21. Hawkeye
22. Iron Man

23. What If... ?
24. Doctor Strange
25. The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
26. The Avengers
27. Avengers: Age of Ultron
28. Ant-Man
29. Ant-Man and the Wasp

30. Thor: The Dark World
31. The Incredible Hulk
32. Iron Man 2

Master Virgo wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 12:02 pm
1. WandaVision
2. Avengers: Endgame
3. Eternals
Disagree with n°1 (it's mid-range for me), but agree very much with 2&3 and glad to know I'm not alone defending Eternals!

Freaking loved Eternals. It healed my soul.

Master Virgo wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 2:45 pm
Freaking loved Eternals. It healed my soul.
Haven't seen it yet. Wanna heal my soul, we can marvel and chill...honestly, haven't seen the last couple, lot of chillin' to do. We can pause at all the sexy bits...I've heard they get down.

A Borges man wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 6:06 pm

Haven't seen it yet. Wanna heal my soul, we can marvel and chill...honestly, haven't seen the last couple, lot of chillin' to do. We can pause at all the sexy bits...I've heard they get down.
It's a really tiny moment, barely showing anything. I think even you can handle it. Just remember to breathe and keep telling yourself, "this is not like pooping at all", "this is not like pooping at all", and it'll all be over in a couple of seconds.

Master Virgo wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 8:17 pm
A Borges man wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 6:06 pm

It's a really tiny moment, barely showing anything. I think even you can handle it. Just remember to breathe and keep telling yourself, "this is not like pooping at all", "this is not like pooping at all", and it'll all be over in a couple of seconds.
:lol: