Everest (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Curious then. I thought Touching the Void would pull anyone to be interested in anything related to survival-in-nature type of scenarios. Therefore Everest would be right up their alley.

I saw this. Unfortunately not in IMAX. I didn't have that luxury in my area.

Anyways, I don't think it would have mattered. Maybe it was because my expectations were really, really high, but I just couldn't get invested in this. The tension was mild, and the only time I really felt any emotion was with Knightly's character. The visuals looked nice, and it's a great survival story, but I think this would have benefited from being told from the point of Krakauer. The book he did for this story is one of the best I've ever read. It kept me up late at night, but this struggled to keep me interested for two hours.

DoubleD wrote:but I think this would have benefited from being told from the point of Krakauer.
That's what they wanted to avoid because they felt this was about the stories of those that perished and survived. They didn't want the movie to be seen only through one POV. They wanted a general peak. And that's what they did. When you're doing something like that of course you're not going to have much tension.

Also, they wanted to avoid cliche moments of tension given that the real story is cliche because most real stories are cliche (if that makes sense). They focused more on recreating the authenticity of those moments. Some of the deaths in the film are treated without any shock value. That's exactly because death to those mountaineers is something they fully expect and understand so I think they wanted the audience to have that same surreal feeling where death is there, you know it will come, you know it will hit... yet it won't feel dramatic. It will feel ordinary. Most deaths felt dramatic through the eyes of relatives and friends that couldn't do anything about it... but never through the eyes of the climbers. And for most part of the film... the audience was another climber.They succeeded in that and maybe that's not everyone's cup of tea but I surely was impressed by this because a story like this told again through the use of tension and shock value would have been something we've seen before.