American Sniper (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sandy wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
But, what's compelling about it?

-Vader
The dude lived a pretty exciting military life.
Okay, but where's the story? The theme? These are essential questions I don't see compelling answers to based on what I know about his exploits.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Sandy wrote:
The dude lived a pretty exciting military life.
Okay, but where's the story? The theme? These are essential questions I don't see compelling answers to based on what I know about his exploits.

-Vader
It is a relevant story because it addresses gun control and soldiers coming back with post-traumatic stress disorder.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
It is a relevant story because it addresses gun control and soldiers coming back with post-traumatic stress disorder.
I'm glad Spielberg's choosing such a brave and ambitious project then. This is indeed untapped territory.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote: It is a relevant story because it addresses gun control and soldiers coming back with post-traumatic stress disorder.
I'm glad Spielberg's choosing such a brave and ambitious project then. This is indeed untapped territory.

-Vader
:roll:

Vader182 wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote: It is a relevant story because it addresses gun control and soldiers coming back with post-traumatic stress disorder.

-Vader
I lol'ed. I see your point regarding the theme. I'm not sure how Spielberg is going to approach this.

Anyone read the book?
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Reasons why it is compelling (there are several):

1) The man was the most lethal sniper in American military history.
2) While in Iraq he was probably the most sought after bounty by Iraqi insurgents and was know as the "Devil of Ramadi". He was shot twice and involved in six separate IED attacks.
3) He was very active in the assistance and therapy of those with PTSD
4) He was killed in a seemingly random act of violence by one of the people he was trying to help and by one of the very guns he was a strong advocate for.
5) I've also heard that his book caused a lot of controversy amongst some fellow SEALS and military veterans who felt the book was in poor taste.

All in all you have some very intriguing paradoxes that should certainly add up to a compelling story. That's just my two cents.

Just watched an interview with chris on Conan. Now im downloading the audiobook to listen to it should be good.