Warcraft (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
B+ for Cinemascore, 83% RT Audience score with 4.2/5 AR, 8.7/10 from metascore users and 7.7/10 from IMDb. The film will pass 300 mil mark by the end of the weekend thanks to china.£

Warcraft

I actually enjoyed this and I probably have far too much to say about it than I probably should. Like more than BvS, probably. Snydezy could learn a thing or two from Jones, lol.

The major sucking points definitely included the more human elements. Paula Patton seemed really fucking out of place, certainly the worst casting choice in the entire production. Fimmel gives an awkward performance. I didn't know whether he was supposed to be like a Maximus from Gladiator sort of hero, or bumbling Jack Sparrow anti-hero type. Seems like he was trying to do multiple things at once. The "love" story, while it didn't feel shoehorned in, and certainly seemed like it was supposed to take a center stage and create an interesting story going forward, also feels like it comes out of nowhere, which has me convinced there was some stuff cut out of here for time.

Which brings me to major sucking point #2; the editing. What a shame. I think this could have really benefited with extra runtime. Like, it had the potential to be like the Guardians of the Galaxy of this year, in how it handles its world building and shit. That's all well developed, it's just presented inefficiently to the viewer. A lot of scenes are cut short of actually making a lasting impression. Why is the title card used twice in the film? Why did they use that take? Why is this fairly unimportant scene so drawn out, while this cool scene over here is hacked to death? Why, why, why?

It also could have benefited from an actual writer for films rather than a video game writer. Why not keep the guy who did this as a second writer and story dude and actually get a decent screenwriter to make the game stuff make cinematic sense?

The orc stuff, on the other hand, was great. This is exactly the opposite of what I expected from the trailers. Kebell's character and performance were incredibly compelling. There's just enough emotion injected into this side of the film that it never feels out of place. Reminds me of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes a bit. The animation and (I guess) motion capture were pretty damn impressive too. The facial expressions of the orcs themselves ... I don't think I've seen anything like that in more than a handful of films so far. Makes Supreme Leader Snoke look like a 80s B-movie character. Star Wars really needs to step up its game.

I am by no means a Warcraft fan, but I have major respect for how confident the flick seems with its lore. It gets dense at times, which I'm actually glad to see, so it doesn't just feel like the filmmakers didn't give a fuck when making it. The magic stuff was really cool. Like, the VFX and the sound design were great, and both Ben Foster and Ben Schnetzer were cool enough characters. Schnetzer, with his almost nerdy neckbeard look was nearly anachronistic, but he grew on me. Shit made me really want to see more from this universe.

I'm with ninja, it seems like a solid enough start for a new franchise.

also, someone's gotta play the part of m4 while he's gone, amirite?

I thought Patton was alright ; age certainly gets lucky with the coolest story arc. And Fimmel, either he phoned this in our his performance got fucked by editing.

Shout out to costume design, because dat armour yo.

This film with all its share of shortcomings actually worked for me. Loved the changes they made into the game's plot, kept it interesting enough but didn't go full nihilistic with some of the characters. Garona and Durotan were the most interesting of the bunch. Hopefully they will bring back Kebbell to also play as Thrall, if there would be a sequel that is.£

Well it has made $304.7 million as of now. I think this should be able to pass the $500 million no? Because I definitely think there's a sequel coming if it makes that much money.

Jones said he'd love to see the Lich King someday... That should be epic. He also said that he and everyone involved would like a break lol, they worked three and a half years to get this released.

The Orcs just looked so amazing.

Twat interviewer. Duncan handled the whole thing really nicely.

Panapaok wrote:Twat interviewer. Duncan handled the whole thing really nicely.
That's just rude!

What an ass haha

i don't think that interview was that bad really, just an interesting debate. his tone isn't really condescending or anything. it maybe is an odd place to do it though in what is essentially a marketing interview.

elemunt wrote:i don't think that interview was that bad really, just an interesting debate. his tone isn't really condescending or anything. it maybe is an odd place to do it though in what is essentially a marketing interview.
Nah, the way he phrased most of his questions and the way he walked out of the interview is quite insulting. I'm not saying he has invalid points (I haven't seen the film and I don't plan to see it either) but this is a short press junket and he could be more polite and proffessional.