Doctor Strange (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
6.5 for me

Don't go into this expecting a game-changing story. It's still a movie done by the book that Marvel created for future filmmakers. However, do not dismiss the spectacle this movie packs, because the visual effects are absolutely eye-opening, like a combination of the Stargate Sequence in 2001 and Inception. And the characterisation of Stephen Strange is very engaging. It's just such a shame it feels the same as other origin stories.

I think (I could be wrong) the inherent problem with comic book origin films being fairly homogeneous stems from the source material all being fairly homogeneous.

A more adventurous approach might have been to have the film follow a sidekick as a protagonist and let an established Strange be the "guide"

So it would be more in line with Ant-Man?

Maybe, but Ant-Man barely takes us into a new literal "world" if you see what I mean. But perhaps yeah. Something along the lines. Or maybe Hellboy except, y'know... good.

It should've gotten a better director. It's a very basic story and that makes it also very predictable but many scenes could've been shot better to at least make the illusion (lol) that it's not another straight to the point origine story.
Those shots of Strange walking toward Dormammu were bad... I also would've stayed closer with Stephen when he is learning the spells. The training scene of opening the portal could've been handled a lot better.
Of all the MCU films, I think this one has the most potential. Nolan handled Bruce' character development so well in Batman Begins. The first act just flows to incredibly well and really makes you feel and connect with the character. I just wished someone more talented and a better script was behind Dr Strange. Again, it could've been a lot better. The music was forgettable too while that's something that can really take a scene to the next level know what I mean.

It's funny that Cumberbatch can accomplish so much with so little. Imagine what it could've been...
The moment you see him next to Thor in the credit scene you feel much more weight watching Stephen than Thor lol and it's just Stephen's first entry in the franchise. Same with Spidey in Civil War, although mostly just because it's Spider-Man and the tone fits his character. The others immediately feel like wannabes.
I think this will definitely get a Best VFX Oscar Nom, one of the few MCU films that actually deserves the Nomination.

Story was formulaic, the montages and sequences could be shot better to reflect the passage of time (he trained for at least months but it did not felt like that long), the ending wad quite cool the way they handled it though

Cumberbatch and Tilda Swinton are the best in the movie, she's surprisingly good as The Ancient One

How is Tilda Swinton being good ever surprising?

ArmandFancypants wrote:How is Tilda Swinton being good ever surprising?
Well, to be honest I did not watched her movies all that much (been watching less and less movies throughout the years though), didn't follow her career all that much, so yeah, there's that

'We've got jokes: The Movie'

Tilda was GOAT (as always), Benedict was very good, as expected, and I liked the cape. And trippy finale (that particular segment), even if I have some problems with it.

The rest... I'm already trying to focus my attention on GOTG2 and Spidey. Seems like Russos exist, and Marvel is blessed to have them, to find the true potential within all of these characters. Solid-to-weak origin script and a painfully obvious 'joke patches' that are masking the uneven passing of time and large portions of exposition... mix it up with a mediocre director and Giacchino doing what exactly? It's still better than Apocalypse (not to mention SS) at least, it's mediocre but it has a function.

Favorite part? Everything before the car crash, including car crash - so good. Actually felt like a dramatic movie with consequences.

6/10
Last edited by m4st4 on November 3rd, 2016, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.