Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Tom Hardy has been talking a bit about this recently.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-n ... gerous.php
There’s many flattering words I’ve used to describe the greatness of 32 year old Brit actor Tom Hardy over the years, but for a guy who has played a Star Trek villain in a major motion picture, British lunatic criminal Charles Bronson, and for someone who is a supporting player in the biggest movie of this year – sadly, well-known is not one of them.

I’m betting that this will change soon enough though. Hardy is on the cusp of breaking through that difficult leading man glass ceiling in a Gerard Butler/Christian Bale kind of way, and I suspect this will be the role where it all comes off for him. And he deserves it, his filmography of roles is excellent.

Last year, George Miller chose Hardy out from a bunch of talented actors (including Oscar nominee Jeremy Renner, and the current big thing Sam Worthington) and passed him the baton of Mel Gibson’s Mad Max, for 20th Century Fox’s forthcoming, continuation of the series that is both a sequel AND a re-imagining of the post-apocalyptic universe that ended 25 years ago with Mad Max 3: Beyond the Thunderdome.

The new movie, titled Mad Max: Fury Road, we think will be The Incredible Hulk to Ang Lee’s Hulk and Hardy’s words told Collider further support our theory;

“It’s a relaunch and revisit to the world. An entire restructuring. That’s not to say that it’s not picking up or leaving off from the Mad Max you know already, but it’s a nice re-take on the entire world using the same character, depositing him in the same world but bringing him up to date by 30 years.”

In a pretty decent interview, Hardy talked about his take on the character, and reading this, you can now begin to see why he is so good on screen. He is articulate about the character, and has clearly spent many nights thinking about who he will be portraying…

Imagine a hungry wolf. Or like when you put a cat in the bath. You grab a cat by the throat and stuff it under the fucking water. You know what it looks like? That’s what I’m going to look like. But like a puma. Very hungry and very dangerous. It’s imperative. This is the kind of guy who’s not well. So I have to create that reality.

Filming is set to begin later this year (although no dates are given, Hardy kind of hints towards September) for a nine month stint in the same geographical location in Australia as Miller shot his original three films.

Charlize Theron was initially set to play the inevitable female part (because you can’t have a movie these days without a love interest!!), and then we heard Aussie actress Teresa Palmer (a Miller favourite, who he previously cast in his unrealised JLA) had replaced her but now reports suggest that neither will be in the film. So who knows, at this point?

Nicholas Hoult (the kid from About a Boy who is now grown-up, and you’ve probably seen him in Skins and A Single Man since) and then two names who have us scratching our heads (Zoe Kravitz and Adelaide Clemens) are also on board for what is mostly a pretty low-key cast.

We get the feeling that all of Miller’s limited budget will be used on the shooting, and not the casting, and we support this approach. Otherwise… it would be another Sam Worthington mess of a summer tentpole. This one is aiming to be something much more interesting.

We are pretty psyched about Miller’s return to the franchise that made his name, but then again we were pretty excited about George Lucas making a new Star Wars film and Steven Spielberg re-visiting Indiana Jones after over a decade absence, so we have only have ourselves to blame if we get burnt.

And a nine month shoot for Hardy? That sure is interesting, because it would likely leave him free just about in time for when his Inception director Christopher Nolan starts to ramp up filming on Batman 3.

Riddle me this, riddle me that…

Mad Max 4? I thought they were just remaking it?

I thought they left it at the second one :|

No, we only wish they did.

If they do make a new Mad Max I think that Sam Worthington would be a very good casting choice.

And I hate to say it but i think that Paul WS Anderson would be a good director for it, i like what he did with the death race remake.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Dodd wrote:If they do make a new Mad Max I think that Sam Worthington would be a very good casting choice.

And I hate to say it but i think that Paul WS Anderson would be a good director for it, i like what he did with the death race remake.
i dont like sam worthington that much, media is making him bigger.

tom hardy already got role, he said to jonathon ross he'll start shooting in australia.

Chris Pine or Paul Walker for Mad Max.

as long as Mel Gibson isnt in it

That's a really bad news for Tom Hardy :(
Filming on Mad Max: Fury Road has already been subject to delays. The six-month $100 million shoot was meant to kick off August 2010 with stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron in New South Wales, before the start date was revised to February of next year. The production has been pushed back again, this time a full year to February 2012.

Even worse, The Australian [via /Film] reports that “the high Australian dollar could ultimately kill the film as its budget grows.” The first delay was for meteorological reasons, but the report doesn’t specify the nature of this postponement. Is an ever-bloating budget to blame? Hit the jump for a brief recap of what we know about the Mad Max reboot.

The bullet points:

* The film would shoot for over six months with a $100 million budget. Star Tom Hardy revised that number to “probably nine months.”
* It was rumored that director George Miller might shoot two films, Mad Max: Fury Road and Mad Max: Furiosa back to back.
* Hardy (Inception) was cast as the new “Mad” Max Rotansky.
* Charlize Theron (Hancock) was cast as the new female lead.
* Nicholas Hoult (Clash of the Titans) will play a character named “Nux.”
* Riley Keough (The Runaways) was likely going to play the “Five Wives,” a group of women that Hardy must protect from the bad guys
* It was recently revealed that Theron’s character would be missing an arm by Anabelle Williams, an Olympic swimmer whose left arm ends at the elbow and will play Theron’s stunt double.

Here’s how Hardy described the film in an interview with Steve:

“It’s a relaunch and revisit to the world. An entire restructuring. That’s not to say that it’s not picking up or leaving off from the Mad Max you know already, but it’s a nice re-take on the entire world using the same character, depositing him in the same world but bringing him up to date by 30 years.”

-

I don’t have a particularly strong connection to the series, but I was looking forward to this one. Especially with Hardy at the lead. Dude’s a star. Hopefully Miller can find a way to get it in front of cameras by February 2012, Australian dollar be damned.