Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:im sure mad max is actually good but do you think it's benefiting from the 'horror movie effect' wherein the bar is set so low in the genre that anything above average is acclaimed?
good point

though, Ebert came back just to give this a 4/4, so I think we're set

@mchekhov, are you suggesting action movies are as low as horror movies? Cause we got Raid 2 and Kingsman in short amount of time. The question is whether this is T2 and Matrix levels of relevancy, once in a decade sort of thing within the genre - now those are extremely rare.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:im sure mad max is actually good but do you think it's benefiting from the 'horror movie effect' wherein the bar is set so low in the genre that anything above average is acclaimed?
I dont think so.
Anything other than superhero Genre is better nowadays & ya its benefiting from the 'DC/Marvel cinematic movie effect'.

But the reaction from the trailers were pretty positive, and the only criticism that was drawn related to the delays and the fact it's been 30 years since the last Mad Max film. But from what I've heard, that is not the case, and some have gone as far to call it "the best action film of the decade".

I'm starting my Mad Max marathon tonight. I've seen Mad Max before, but never got around to seeing The Road Warrior or Beyond the Thunderdome.

m4st4 wrote:@mchekhov, are you suggesting action movies are as low as horror movies? Cause we got Raid 2 and Kingsman in short amount of time. The question is whether this is T2 and Matrix levels of relevancy, once in a decade sort of thing within the genre - now those are extremely rare.
Besides, Mad Max has always (kind of) been viewed as an influential post apocalyptic action franchise, especially if we're talking about Road Warrior, so if anything, the bar would've been more high than low

Ruth wrote:
m4st4 wrote:@mchekhov, are you suggesting action movies are as low as horror movies? Cause we got Raid 2 and Kingsman in short amount of time. The question is whether this is T2 and Matrix levels of relevancy, once in a decade sort of thing within the genre - now those are extremely rare.
Besides, Mad Max has always (kind of) been viewed as an influential post apocalyptic action franchise, especially if we're talking about Road Warrior, so if anything, the bar would've been more high than low
for movie nerds like us yes, but for the average viewer it's just another big summer blockbuster, which is what most people are comparing it to

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
Ruth wrote:
for movie nerds like us yes, but for the average viewer it's just another big summer blockbuster, which is what most people are comparing it to
yeah but the critics are also raving about this, and they aren't mere mortals, are they

Ruth wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
Ruth wrote: Besides, Mad Max has always (kind of) been viewed as an influential post apocalyptic action franchise, especially if we're talking about Road Warrior, so if anything, the bar would've been more high than low
yeah but the critics are also raving about this, and they aren't mere mortals, are they
pretty sure chris stuckman is some sorta half-demon if that's what you mean

That and the auto-brownie points of practical effects and stunts.

Hype. Hype. Hype.

Reading this thread (bc that's why I came here in the first place :P to see the excitement) made me rethink watching it today, not in the weekend.

99 % on RT out of 87 reviews :shock:

btw Paddington has 98 % (123 reviews), but a average rating of 7.9/10. Mad has 9.1 now.

It is getting such good reviews not only because it is good but also because most reviewers grew up with this in the 80s. It's a nostalgia factor. If it was a first in it's franchise I guess the RT score would have been slightly lower (in the 90s, not near 100).