Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Third strike yesterday, totally unexpected but buddies insisted. Packed theater, great audience, now I'm definitely waiting for blu, did my job.
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:mad max embodies true filmmaking

i was on the verge of crying the entire time
Lovely. I would say that final scenes hit the mark even after three viewings.

1:20 onwards is perfection.

Hi Law:-) Max was "feral," so I didn't mind his grunting- it sounded pretty sexy to me. In all honesty though his character had not spoken to a human in a very long time..so I understood his reluctance to speak and awkwardness. Did I think he was just trying to be 'Forrest?'...not all..two completely different characters..Forrest grunted because that is how he was naturally..that was a part of his personality...Max was made that way..just my little opinion, my Sicilian friend;-)
Last edited by QueenofHearts on May 22nd, 2015, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gibson did the same, it's a long known character mark and also a non-issue since in this one it actually gives him more character development than any of the previous ones did. Hardy was smart enough as an actor to use it as something of his own; create a beast, loner, with PTSD.

Yes, in fact Gibson's character really didn't have a lot of lines either, but we never saw him really 'feral' so to speak, there is a theory floating around that Hardy's character is actually the feral kid in Road Warrior..but not sure if I buy that, it's an interesting theory though. I also read that there was not a lot of script when Hardy and Theron were working, so makes you wonder how much freedom they had and how much was guided by Miller.:-)

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, As Reviewed By My 70-Year-Old Mother-In-Law (seriously):
Old women were treated very respectfully in this film. I liked that too. They weren’t ridiculed at all, they played important and strong roles, nurturing yet powerful.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/19/ ... her-in-law

Interesting read.

ChristNolan wrote:

Define true filmmaking and dishonest filmmaking
I dunno what the other guy meant but when I say "true filmmaking" I mean that the movie did stuff that can't be replicated in literature, theater, graphic novels, or other forms of narrative art. It's "true" in the sense it's an honest and pure example of what makes film unique to itself, and takes full advantage of everything the medium has to offer.

It's also just a broad compliment but, so. Like, "now THIS is a burger"as in it's so good other burgers are such shit they shouldn't even be called burgers anymore

-Vader

m4st4 wrote:Third strike yesterday, totally unexpected but buddies insisted. Packed theater, great audience, now I'm definitely waiting for blu, did my job.

Lovely. I would say that final scenes hit the mark even after three viewings.

1:20 onwards is perfection.
So damn beautiful :cry:

Vader182 wrote: "true filmmaking" - It's also just a broad compliment but, so. Like, "now THIS is a burger"as in it's so good other burgers are such shit they shouldn't even be called burgers anymore

-Vader
Or just this:

Vader182 wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:

Define true filmmaking and dishonest filmmaking
I dunno what the other guy meant but when I say "true filmmaking" I mean that the movie did stuff that can't be replicated in literature, theater, graphic novels, or other forms of narrative art. It's "true" in the sense it's an honest and pure example of what makes film unique to itself, and takes full advantage of everything the medium has to offer.

It's also just a broad compliment but, so. Like, "now THIS is a burger"as in it's so good other burgers are such shit they shouldn't even be called burgers anymore

-Vader
i think we're saying the same thing. by 'every element' i mean every one that pertains to the medium in question which is ofc film

and yeah after seeing something like this it's kinda sad to think about all the other films that aren't being made to the same standard, and the "well, this is what we have" apologist mentality we've developed as a culture, especially towards blockbusters

I like how Miller explained it in collider interview, if he were to insert five deleted scenes in the existing frame the beats, the rhythm that was created from the first shot, would be interrupted... Fury Road works because it flows as a fully realized experience, that of a constant chase. In most modern movies you can almost instantly feel the dips in quality, be it script wise or action wise (infamous third act comes to mind).