Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Charlize Theron, Tom Hardy’s Tense Dynamic ‘Imploded’ on ‘Fury Road’ Set: ‘I Was Really Scared Sh*tless’

Charlize Theron Recalls Moment She ‘Didn’t Feel Safe’ on ‘Fury Road,’ Requested Female Producer on Set

Playing warrior Furiosa onscreen proved to be more of a battle than Charlize Theron expected.

The “Mad Max: Fury Road” star revealed that she butted heads with co-star Tom Hardy to the point of requesting producer Denise Di Novi to be on set to ensure there were no future issues.

“I remember vividly the day,” camera operator Mark Goellnicht said. “The call on set was eight o’clock. Charlize got there right at eight o’clock, sat in the War Rig, knowing that Tom’s never going to be there at eight even though they made a special request for him to be there on time. He was notorious for never being on time in the morning. If the call time was in the morning, forget it — he didn’t show up.”

Hardy arrived three hours later, which first assistant camera person Ricky Schamburg speculated could have been “some kind of power play” but felt “deliberately provocative” regardless. Theron, meanwhile, waited in the War Rig in full costume and makeup.

“If you ask me, he kind of knew that it was really pissing Charlize off, because she’s professional and she turns up really early,” Schamburg said.

Once Hardy finally arrived on set, Theron reportedly confronted the “Dark Knight Rises” alum.

“She jumps out of the War Rig, and she starts swearing her head off at him, saying, ‘Fine the fucking cunt a hundred thousand dollars for every minute that he’s held up this crew,’ and ‘How disrespectful you are!’” Goellnicht explained. “She was right. Full rant. She screams it out. It’s so loud, it’s so windy — he might’ve heard some of it, but he charged up to her and went, ‘What did you say to me?'”

Goellnicht added, “He was quite aggressive. She really felt threatened, and that was the turning point.”

“It got to a place where it was kind of out of hand, and there was a sense that maybe sending a woman producer down could maybe equalize some of it, because I didn’t feel safe,” Theron said. “I kind of put my foot down. George then said, ‘Okay, well, if Denise comes…’ He was open to it and that kind of made me breathe a little bit, because it felt like I would have another woman understanding what I was up against.”

Theron added, “But when I was on set, I still felt pretty naked and alone.”

Theron reflected on the situation, saying, “I don’t want to make excuses for bad behavior, but it was a tough shoot. Now, I have a very clear perspective on what went down. I don’t think I had that clarity when we were making the movie. I was in survival mode; I was really scared shitless.”

“Looking back on where we are in the world now, given what happened between me and Tom, it would have been smart for us to bring a female producer in,” Theron continued, citing Miller’s set practices. “You understand the needs of a director who wants to protect his set, but when push comes to shove and things get out of hand, you have to be able to think about that in a bigger sense. That’s where we could have done better, if George trusted that nobody was going to come and fuck with his vision but was just going to come and help mediate situations. I think he didn’t want any interference, and there were several weeks on that movie where I wouldn’t know what was going to come my way, and that’s not necessarily a nice thing to feel when you’re on your job. It was a little bit like walking on thin ice.”

The Oscar winner added, “Because of my own fear, we were putting up walls to protect ourselves instead of saying to each other, ‘Fuck, this is scary for you and it’s scary for me, too. Let’s be nice to each other.’ We were functioning, in a weird way, like our characters: Everything was about survival.”

Theron revealed about Hardy, “I don’t want to rehash things, but it came out of a really bad moment where things kind of came to blows between me and Tom…We were either fighting or we were icing each other — I don’t know which one is worse — and they had to deal with it in the back. It was horrible! We should not have done that; we should have been better. I can own up to that.”

Hardy looked back on the situation years later:

“In hindsight, I was in over my head in many ways,” Hardy said. “The pressure on both of us was overwhelming at times. What she needed was a better, perhaps more experienced partner in me…I’d like to think that now that I’m older and uglier, I could rise to that occasion.”

Director Miller responded to the claims, noting, “There are things that I feel disappointment with about the process. Looking back, if I had to do it again, I would probably be more mindful.”

Yeah, this makes Hardy seem like a massive asshole and it’s not a surprise his only recent great projects are with Nolan or Leo getting him a great gig.

Correct me if I’m forgetting, but I don’t recall hearing other actors, directors, or crew members come out publicly and say anything negative about Hardy. Of Course being late is extremely disrespectful and shouldn’t be tolerated no matter who you are. All in all, I’m willing to chalk all this up to a hellish production atmosphere.

Not surprised to hear about any of this, except that there is a little more detail provided about how they were feuding on set. Both of them were even asked about on-set tensions while they were promoting the film, but they downplayed the severity of it all. There was also a clip of Zoe Kravitz being asked about this same thing on Andy Cohen's show, where she similarly confirmed that they didn't get along:

Master Virgo wrote:
February 23rd, 2022, 4:27 pm
Charlize Theron, Tom Hardy’s Tense Dynamic ‘Imploded’ on ‘Fury Road’ Set: ‘I Was Really Scared Sh*tless’

Charlize Theron Recalls Moment She ‘Didn’t Feel Safe’ on ‘Fury Road,’ Requested Female Producer on Set

Playing warrior Furiosa onscreen proved to be more of a battle than Charlize Theron expected.

The “Mad Max: Fury Road” star revealed that she butted heads with co-star Tom Hardy to the point of requesting producer Denise Di Novi to be on set to ensure there were no future issues.

“I remember vividly the day,” camera operator Mark Goellnicht said. “The call on set was eight o’clock. Charlize got there right at eight o’clock, sat in the War Rig, knowing that Tom’s never going to be there at eight even though they made a special request for him to be there on time. He was notorious for never being on time in the morning. If the call time was in the morning, forget it — he didn’t show up.”

Hardy arrived three hours later, which first assistant camera person Ricky Schamburg speculated could have been “some kind of power play” but felt “deliberately provocative” regardless. Theron, meanwhile, waited in the War Rig in full costume and makeup.

“If you ask me, he kind of knew that it was really pissing Charlize off, because she’s professional and she turns up really early,” Schamburg said.

Once Hardy finally arrived on set, Theron reportedly confronted the “Dark Knight Rises” alum.

“She jumps out of the War Rig, and she starts swearing her head off at him, saying, ‘Fine the fucking cunt a hundred thousand dollars for every minute that he’s held up this crew,’ and ‘How disrespectful you are!’” Goellnicht explained. “She was right. Full rant. She screams it out. It’s so loud, it’s so windy — he might’ve heard some of it, but he charged up to her and went, ‘What did you say to me?'”

Goellnicht added, “He was quite aggressive. She really felt threatened, and that was the turning point.”

“It got to a place where it was kind of out of hand, and there was a sense that maybe sending a woman producer down could maybe equalize some of it, because I didn’t feel safe,” Theron said. “I kind of put my foot down. George then said, ‘Okay, well, if Denise comes…’ He was open to it and that kind of made me breathe a little bit, because it felt like I would have another woman understanding what I was up against.”

Theron added, “But when I was on set, I still felt pretty naked and alone.”

Theron reflected on the situation, saying, “I don’t want to make excuses for bad behavior, but it was a tough shoot. Now, I have a very clear perspective on what went down. I don’t think I had that clarity when we were making the movie. I was in survival mode; I was really scared shitless.”

“Looking back on where we are in the world now, given what happened between me and Tom, it would have been smart for us to bring a female producer in,” Theron continued, citing Miller’s set practices. “You understand the needs of a director who wants to protect his set, but when push comes to shove and things get out of hand, you have to be able to think about that in a bigger sense. That’s where we could have done better, if George trusted that nobody was going to come and fuck with his vision but was just going to come and help mediate situations. I think he didn’t want any interference, and there were several weeks on that movie where I wouldn’t know what was going to come my way, and that’s not necessarily a nice thing to feel when you’re on your job. It was a little bit like walking on thin ice.”

The Oscar winner added, “Because of my own fear, we were putting up walls to protect ourselves instead of saying to each other, ‘Fuck, this is scary for you and it’s scary for me, too. Let’s be nice to each other.’ We were functioning, in a weird way, like our characters: Everything was about survival.”

Theron revealed about Hardy, “I don’t want to rehash things, but it came out of a really bad moment where things kind of came to blows between me and Tom…We were either fighting or we were icing each other — I don’t know which one is worse — and they had to deal with it in the back. It was horrible! We should not have done that; we should have been better. I can own up to that.”

Hardy looked back on the situation years later:

“In hindsight, I was in over my head in many ways,” Hardy said. “The pressure on both of us was overwhelming at times. What she needed was a better, perhaps more experienced partner in me…I’d like to think that now that I’m older and uglier, I could rise to that occasion.”

Director Miller responded to the claims, noting, “There are things that I feel disappointment with about the process. Looking back, if I had to do it again, I would probably be more mindful.”
I wasn't there. But I don't blame tom hardy for reacting. Nobody in their right mind would allow their costar verbally to abuse them for being late. What malarkey how does she need protection from him after having started with him? I recall bale had to apologize for his outburst on the set of his Terminator film. She should have done the peaceful thing staging a walk-off the location with everyone leaving or shooting another scene without him in it.