The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
How the hell are they going to do the marketing with this one?!
With DOS not ending with just one cliffhanger of Smaug but also Gandalf still hold prisoner in Dol Guldur… How are they going to do the marketing?! I mean, yes they can use Smaug in it on posters and show him off in good quality images but, aren't they risking showing off what happens to Gandalf? I think the biggest questions come with the trailers. They have to be able to show off some of Smaug's destruction on Lake Town, a battle at Dol Guldur and some bits of the BO5A of course. If they're smart, they keep the teaser very mild in what they're showing. I for one, think I'm going to avoid any trailers. I've seen quite a lot and knew quite a lot of AUJ and DOS before I saw them and since this is the last I think it's nice to go in as blind as possible. Besides the fact that I have read the book, there are quite some things in the film that weren't in the book. Not that I have any problems with that, but because of that I'd rather not see too much of it.

Truth is, we have no idea what's going to be in there aside from
Dol Guldur battle, Laketown destruction, Smaug's death, and BOFA
Those are the obvious parts, that leaves a lot of surprises along the way, by the way, PJ said in an interview a couple of days ago that Legolas
is going to be the main link btw The Hobbit and LOTR

Hm…
How do you think Legolas is going to be the link between the Hobbit and LOTR? I see it this way so far: I think he gets an important role in solving the BO5A. He'll of course kill numerous of Orcs and such and I also think we get to see his softer side in TABA as well (lots of deaths, Tauriels storyline) we saw him pretty much only grim faced and badass in DOS. I think Legolas will become more friendly with Dwarves and be the kind of Elf they'd sent ahead for a big secret quest that involves The One Ring. I'm not entirely sure how his role is gonna play out in TABA but it should lead to him being the obvious choice to be sent to Rivendell in LOTR.

Nomis1700 wrote:Hm…
How do you think Legolas is going to be the link between the Hobbit and LOTR? I see it this way so far: I think he gets an important role in solving the BO5A. He'll of course kill numerous of Orcs and such and I also think we get to see his softer side in TABA as well (lots of deaths, Tauriels storyline) we saw him pretty much only grim faced and badass in DOS. I think Legolas will become more friendly with Dwarves and be the kind of Elf they'd sent ahead for a big secret quest that involves The One Ring. I'm not entirely sure how his role is gonna play out in TABA but it should lead to him being the obvious choice to be sent to Rivendell in LOTR.
I don't think he'll become more friendly to the dwarves given the fact that in LOTR FOTR he seems to hate Gimli during the Council of Elrond.
Btw do you guys think Tauriel will die in TABA? I guess she will, which will explain her absence in LOTR. It seems to be easier to kill a character that is not in the books.

Like the previous poster said, it would be impossible for Legolas to develope any kind of positive attitude towards dwarfs at this point, since 'the warming up' is a huge developement in LOTR. If they make him do so it would be just bad writing. But the way they seem to be twisting everything I guess anything is possible. They made Faramir a completely different person just for "extra" drama. I really like the movies and feel they have captured the spirit and Ian McKellen is one of my favorite actors, but some changes seem just f****ng pointless to me. I wonder if they've somehow included Legolas' father to this. If they haven't I'm curious to how many things they've brought to life from Silmarillion altogether.

Howard Shore did a good job on this one, so I'm eager to hear more on The Desolation of Smaug. I've saved the experience to a less crowdy day.

hollow head wrote:Like the previous poster said, it would be impossible for Legolas to develope any kind of positive attitude towards dwarfs at this point, since 'the warming up' is a huge developement in LOTR. If they make him do so it would be just bad writing. But the way they seem to be twisting everything I guess anything is possible. They made Faramir a completely different person just for "extra" drama. I really like the movies and feel they have captured the spirit and Ian McKellen is one of my favorite actors, but some changes seem just f****ng pointless to me. I wonder if they've somehow included Legolas' father to this. If they haven't I'm curious to how many things they've brought to life from Silmarillion altogether.

Howard Shore did a good job on this one, so I'm eager to hear more on The Desolation of Smaug. I've saved the experience to a less crowdy day.
You clearly don't know the source material.

There was like one Elf in The Hobbit, the King and Tolkien himself went back to it after writing the Hobbit. The King's name is Thranduil and he is the father of Legolas. PJ put Tauriel and Legolas also in the Hobbit films because it actually make sense for Legolas to be there. And Tauriel was a female touch, which I liked.
As for the Silmarillion, they do not own the rights. Philippa hasn't read the Silmarillion in like almost 15 years to not use anything of it in the LOTR/Hobbit films simply because they do not own the rights. I hope that once WB gets the rights, they'll ask PJ, Fran and Philippa back. If they do it is something else but looking at the cast, pretty much only three people could return (Blanchett, Weaving and Cumberbatch).

Mahiya_Borden wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote:Hm…
I don't think he'll become more friendly to the dwarves given the fact that in LOTR FOTR he seems to hate Gimli during the Council of Elrond.
Btw do you guys think Tauriel will die in TABA? I guess she will, which will explain her absence in LOTR. It seems to be easier to kill a character that is not in the books.
Yeah he isn't really nice to Gimli, and he not to him either. But I always felt Legolas was more open for positive contact than Gimli was in the beginning. But I guess that's just me. And I definitely have to do a LOTR marathon soon ;)
Either way, there's got to be some character development for Legolas in TABA so that it makes sense they sent him to Rivendell in LOTR.

As for:
Tauriel, I think they would simply because she isn't in LOTR and there should be something to explain why she isn't, I guess. And yeah it's easier to kill her character because she's not even in the books. Besides, Kili dies too so it'd be very dramatic if she dies as well! Poor Legolas.

For the Silmarillion, it's a bit more complicated than that, yes, they don't have the rights but the Tolkien Estate HATES PJ's adaptations, and Christopher Tolkien is notoriously opposed to it. Unless all the opposers croak, I don't see it happening, but my fingers are crossed, it would be amazing, although pretty hard to shoot, unless you strip it apart.

Yup, here's hoping that they will get the rights one day :angel:

As for the adaptation, yes it will be the most difficult to translate to the screen. If they do so, they gotta make decisions as to what they want to show and explore. I wouldn't be surprised that they still change a lot to get it better on screen. They could easily make two films out of it. What say I? Three 8-)

Seriously though, I think those complete darkness and uttermost evil that is Sauron and which we definitely felt in DOS as well, Morgoth is even worse than that. It'd be interesting to see the most serious and greatest evil on screen. I mean, Morgoth and Sauron are pretty damn epic, not to forget there are wolves, Ungoliant, Glaurung and other dragons and Balrogs. It's quite the thing. But all that and all the destruction that they cause has to have importance to it. I think it's wise to focus on the Elves and Men and put the emotion there as much as possible. Otherwise, everything epic doesn't matter that much.
Luckily PJ handled such things perfectly in LOTR and continue to do so in the Hobbit, I would definitely trust him with the material once more.

As for TABA, replying on this:
@Nomis, I agree with you ;) I hope the BOFA does take place in a snowy environment.
It's gonna be great. It's winter time and having seen
Thranduil and the Elves fight in Dol Guldur with lots of snow, I think the BO5A is going to be something very pretty! And like I said before, I wondered where it's gonna take place. I mean, we all know where but all of the previous large battles had a fortress in the mix. Esgaroth will most likely be almost entirely destroyed by Smaug and it's interesting as who will take in Dale and fight from there. There's a lot of open space between that and Erebor that's of course held by the Dwarves.
And when it comes to the battle of Dol Guldur, it facing the forest at the edge, I wondered how it's going to defend itself. Luckily we saw the other side of it which is quite straight up high. The bits we've seen the most is of the other side were Radagast and Gandalf entered it. I do wonder where Sauron is going to put himself. Barad-Dur was great for his Eye, think he's just gonna put himself atop Dol Guldur or something :think: Besides, didn't the Orcs walked in direction to Lorien instead of Erebor or are they walking around Mirkwood towards Erebor?