The Hunt (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Dodd wrote: BRrip is out the TPB
It was out like a couple months ago.

Quotes, since it's a longer review only posting two paragraphs:

Had 2012 allowed me to see The Hunt, the new film by Danish director Thomas Vinterberg who was one of the first to use digital cameras and to effectively help change cinema forever, it would’ve risen up the ranks of my top ten instantaneously. The Hunt only secured modest U.S. distribution this past summer, and was unseen by most. How critics place indie and/or foreign dramas into top ten lists has become a silly sort of controversy, with many simply including them in the year in which they’re submitted for an Oscar, as was the case with last year’s excellent nightmarish thriller Once Upon a Time in Anatolia. The Hunt is a similar case, not only because of the same confusion around the “real” year of release, but because it’s cut from the pitch-black cloth as Anatolia. They both suffer a grim, threatening atmosphere with tainted murky (but still beautiful) cinematography and large, sparse spaces of asphyxiating emptiness. But, unlike Anatolia, there was no threatening figure peering violently at the camera, inspiring chilling tension that won the Turkish film its international applause. There was no mystery. There was no ghastly murder with which to terrify audiences. Why would there be? To really scare an audience, all you need is basic human nature.

There is also a political component involving the status of the male in society. His word is meaningless next to that of a young girl whose teachers constantly remind the audience has a wild imagination. That’s of course not to diminish the grave importance and heartbreak of pedophilia in any way, but had another issue been chosen to hammer home the dangers of making something so political it deafens otherwise perceptive ears, it may not have been believable. It’s an issue everyone can get behind, making it perfect fodder to show just the right idea told in just the right way can tap into the natural state of man to hunt. But, there’s another reason the issue of pedophilia was chosen. In the opening scene, Lucas and his best friends strip naked and take a plunge into the lake, and the camera is completely loose and free. Therefore, the camera is at its most naturalistic, depicting man in his natural naked state, in a completely organic and natural setting. This establishes a clear link between man and man and man and nature in a positive way. The following sequence shows the following: nature, a forest, a predator, and its prey. These two scenes used together coalesce into a vision of man still connected to our animalistic states, distanced from our trivial comforts. The reaction of the town people is barbaric and brutish, and it’s no coincidence the maternal instinct of women lead them to quickly accept the little girl’s fiction and protect their metaphorical cubs at all costs. The men are sent out as predators, in pursuit of violence and pain.

We’re all on the hunt.

A-

-Vader

Mads is the man yo.

That fucking ending. I hate it, but it is brilliant.

Could someone explain the significance of hunting as well as the title of this film? I think I have my own sort of grasp on it, but I could be wrong.

Preferably someone whose username doesn't start with the letter "V".

Cilogy wrote:Could someone explain the significance of hunting as well as the title of this film? I think I have my own sort of grasp on it, but I could be wrong.

V for Vendeta or Vagina?

Armand could do it, better than Rohan anyway.

Cilogy wrote:Could someone explain the significance of hunting as well as the title of this film? I think I have my own sort of grasp on it, but I could be wrong.

First off, have you seen it?

I'm sort of also struggling with why they gave it that title, except for the direct reference at the end.

Maybe because it's a witch hunt? A totally bogus claim that leads the town to persecute an innocent man.

Come on guys lol

fuck off cil, lol

-Vader

So can someone explain to me what the last scene means? I have no idea why thats there or who the shooter would be.

dafox wrote:
So can someone explain to me what the last scene means? I have no idea why thats there or who the shooter would be.
It's supposed to signify that he'll forever be 'hunted' because of what happened, meaning he's gonna have to live the rest of his life looking over his shoulder. I don't think it matters who the shooter is, what matters is that he'll never forget what happened to him.