Upstream Color (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Peace wrote:
Durden wrote:Watching tonight, Read the Oregonian the other day, and they gave it an A.
Good for the Oregonian. I'm much more interested in your own thoughts so make sure to share them.
Lol will do.

jibran wrote:More to the plot:
In the movie, a young woman (Amy Seimetz) is abducted and seemingly brainwashed via an organic material harvested from a specific flower. She later meets a man (Carruth) and after the two fall for each other, they come to realize he may also have been subjected to the same process....the film is about the mutual psychosis that can be an essential part of romance, the agreement of a shared madness.
Downloaded it already. Sounds kinda like Fringe but not. Never saw Primer so will be going in blind yo...

So I watched this last night , but dozed off for about 20 minutes in the middle(long day of work), and played catch up the rest which was stupid of me. All I can say is it is very beautiful, and although I am sure I missed some little things the story is very compelling to watch unfold. Prob going to give it another viewing soon.

Durden wrote:So I watched this last night , but dozed off for about 20 minutes(long day of work), and played catch up the rest which was stupid of me. All I can say is it is very beautiful, and although I am sure I missed some little things the story is very compelling to watch unfold. Prob going to give it another viewing soon.
Cool, when I get back to the US i'll definitely give this a watch since I like Carruth's work. Did you ever watch Primer (his first film)?

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Durden wrote:So I watched this last night , but dozed off for about 20 minutes(long day of work), and played catch up the rest which was stupid of me. All I can say is it is very beautiful, and although I am sure I missed some little things the story is very compelling to watch unfold. Prob going to give it another viewing soon.
Cool, when I get back to the US i'll definitely give this a watch since I like Carruth's work. Did you ever watch Primer (his first film)?
Its on my to watch list, which it has been forever. :lol:

I'm going in expecting not to understand wtf is going on. I really need to watch Primer again to get my brain ready.
Say Girl

Well, this was a good and interesting film. It's a lot more accessible than Primer, but a bit pretentious. Filmed beautifully, with original and creative ideas, this felt, for me, like a sci-fi drama made by Terrence Malick. Absolutely loved the sound in this and the score was also very good, helping immensely with the atmosphere. And, surprisingly, it wasn't that hard to understand. You can follow what's going on and understand some of the concept and the ideas by just paying attention to the film. But, of course, that's just on the surface. If you've seen the film and you're curious to know exactly what the film is about and understand each sequence, then read then: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... _film.html

It clears up some things.

This movie is absolutely amazing. :o

Upsteam Color is now available on Netflix Instant for anyone who hasn't yet sen it. ;)

Alberto wrote:Well, this was a good and interesting film. It's a lot more accessible than Primer, but a bit pretentious. Filmed beautifully, with original and creative ideas, this felt, for me, like a sci-fi drama made by Terrence Malick. Absolutely loved the sound in this and the score was also very good, helping immensely with the atmosphere. And, surprisingly, it wasn't that hard to understand. You can follow what's going on and understand some of the concept and the ideas by just paying attention to the film. But, of course, that's just on the surface. If you've seen the film and you're curious to know exactly what the film is about and understand each sequence, then read then: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... _film.html

It clears up some things.
I don't wanna pull a Vader here, but I thought it was kinda pretentious mainly because Carruth said he wanted people to get a very specific interpretation from it. At the end of the day, it's all about the "central idea", which seems very forced, and the film itself is a little too vague to actually help you get there.

It's beautifully shot and acted well enough, I guess, but once the viewer understand what's going on, there really isn't much else there.