Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
joe johnston used to be a good director when i was young(the rocketeer,jumanji).nowadays he is a deception(jurassic park3,captain america).

Before they announce the director, Touchstone did distribute The Prestige, so Nolan does have a Disney connection of sorts. lol

Mahiya_Borden wrote:

What a kiss-ass. I hope he'll never get the gig. He's a mediocre director. Wolfman, Jurassic Park 3 and especially Captain America.... Enough said. :facepalm:
It's a nice story but I certainly hope he doesn't get it either.
Do you... like pineapple?

I enjoyed Captain America, but I don't want Johnston on it. Too hit or miss.

Johnston did The Rocketeer, which has the right level of exuberance required, even if it is paper thin. And I think Captain America is somewhere around that mark too.

How familiar are people with the two other SW directors' non-Star Wars films? I've seen 2 of Marquand's and 10 of Kersh's... Kersh in particular is a very interesting, very unusual filmmaker, and nothing he did beforehand would make you think he was equipped to make one of the greatest adventure films of all time.
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

ArmandFancypants wrote: How familiar are people with the two other SW directors' non-Star Wars films? I've seen 2 of Marquand's and 10 of Kersh's... Kersh in particular is a very interesting, very unusual filmmaker, and nothing he did beforehand would make you think he was equipped to make one of the greatest adventure films of all time.
That's a good point.
Do you... like pineapple?

Ive always wanted to check out another film by Kersh but have never had the chance. I'm definitely curious, though.

Kershner directed RoboCop 2.

I like RoboCop 2. He was a great director.

I the past Star Wars films have always been a colaboration of multiple people. Lucas generally draw the story (at least the basics). With empire, the script was rewritten by several people and finally re-rewriten by Lucas with help and the director practically had nothing to do with the script.

Today, with these big movies, generally there's a more solid relationship between scriptwriting and directing, sometimes the director even writes or rewrites the script. With Lucas, I think he screwed the prequels because no one had the guts to try to speak to him and tell him that he was doing bullshit with some of his decisions. I think a colaboration would be more suitable.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

anikom15 wrote:Kershner directed RoboCop 2.

I like RoboCop 2. He was a great director.
Never seen it, should I? Always thought those sequels were direct-to-VHS material.