Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:No, I am saying it would be horrendous to change their plans just to "surprise" people.
Have to agree on that, of course the plans are already set, we just don't know the whole picture yet.

m4st4 wrote:
Nomis wrote:Recalling my first viewing of the film I'd say no but again, let you know after tomorrow.
Whatever man, nobody knows shit until Episode VIII at least, you won't find any concrete evidence no matter how many times you see the movie.
Maybe not. But lets not forget that they already have the script of VIII and a screenplay of IX (don't know if that's finished though). Besides that they know how it'll play out, which of course has nothing to do with what the general audience thinks, the hints should be there, even visual similarities.

JJ said himself that they didn't want to spill all the beans in TFA just like wasn't done with ANH. From a storytelling point of view it makes a lot more sense to me that Rey is Luke's daughter than being the only (real talented) padawan he could save from the Knights of Ren. It makes for a more emotional and stronger connection for them to be father and daughter not to forget the raised stakes against Kylo Ren because that would mean they're cousins. Kathleen Kennedy said the Episodes are about the Skywalkers and the spin offs are their own thing set in the same world. I mean, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker himself so that'd mean the emotional core would lay more at him than at Rey. Now I know this doesn't has to be the case simply because Kylo Ren is a Skywalker but still. I really think Luke saved his daughter and erased her memory as much he could or was necessary to keep her safe from harm.

I don't believe the argument of "that's no father-daughter recognition at the end" are valid. They chose to end the film right there to carry it over to Episode VIII. It was a pretty big moment. Why else a cliffhanger. Finding Luke and offering the lightsaber, perhaps that is the moment where she realizes he's her father or that's when he tells her.

prince0gotham wrote:Myeah, the consensus on the film's quality is much more mixed in my country than what it seems to be in the US and I'm guessing it has to do with popularity.
It does. It's the same thing here.

Went 3 times to the theater with 3 different groups of people.

In each group I had mixed reactions and the negatives ones... well, let's just say that they made 0 sense from our point of view.

None of those that felt negative about the film were really fans of the franchise nor grew up with Star Wars. They remebered it from the prequels more so than from originals as the originals were obviously not available to the large audience in eastern-europe lol. Although the first Star Wars film was surprisingly shown in cinema here but access was quite restricted.

With that being said, you're totally right and it's understandable as well as predictable.
Panapaok wrote:Hearing from tons of people that it plays much better the second time, I can't wait to watch it again as soon as possible. I'll wait a few days before I go again, though.
Yes. Second time is much better as you're more adjusted to the whole thing so you're looking at it without being confused about what you're supposed to get.

It's funny, each time I've seen the film the crowd has gotten progressively less reactive. First crowd uproarious, second crowd moderately responsive, third crowd virtually no reaction at all. Sorta interesting.

Knight_White/Dark wrote:It's funny, each time I've seen the film the crowd has gotten progressively less reactive. First crowd uproarious, second crowd moderately responsive, third crowd virtually no reaction at all. Sorta interesting.
Most of the people probably have seen the film before, honestly.

Knight_White/Dark wrote:It's funny, each time I've seen the film the crowd has gotten progressively less reactive. First crowd uproarious, second crowd moderately responsive, third crowd virtually no reaction at all. Sorta interesting.
I guess that's normal.

Bacon wrote:
Most of the people probably have seen the film before, honestly.
Or the crowds were gradually filled with more casuals and less fanatics with each viewing. Or a little of both.

I believe it will surpass 'Avatar' since the movie first will be released in China January next year (I mean 11 days from now) 8-)

I hope China alone can bring in another 500 mil. lol

impossible tho as it's unrealistic.

although....

I'm guessing Benicio Del Toro will play
one of the Knights of Ren?