Recommend-Me-A-TV Series-Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 11354
Joined: December 2011
Jax_Teller wrote:You, however, along with a few others on this forum, are certified trolls.
Care to call them all out?

User avatar
Posts: 11354
Joined: December 2011
There are a couple HBO T.V. series I've been considering starting.
Six Feet Under
The Wire
The Newsroom
The Sopranos
Da Ali G Show
Boardwalk Empire

Would you guys recommend any of these? I'm sure some of you will, but why?

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
11072014 wrote:The Wire
imo possibly the best tv series about the borders our society draws.
11072014 wrote:The Sopranos
possibly the most relatable tv series (next to mad men) about personal, family-related and social issues
11072014 wrote:Da Ali G Show
if you're a fan of Cohen and his comedy this is a must see.
11072014 wrote:Boardwalk Empire
great gangster entertainment. show isn't developed on certain themes at all, but succeeds in providing enough depth for it's main characters.

haven't seen the newsroom and six feet under but they're on my must-watch-list.

User avatar
Posts: 2862
Joined: January 2013
Location: Hogwarts
The Newsroom is great imo, but it's Aaron Sorkin, which will either work for you or won't.

User avatar
Posts: 11354
Joined: December 2011
Jax_Teller wrote:The Newsroom is great imo, but it's Aaron Sorkin, which will either work for you or won't.
The entire reason I'm interested in this series at all is because of Sorkin.

User avatar
Posts: 2862
Joined: January 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Yeah, but apparently there's good Sorkin and bad Sorkin, but I wouldn't know, I barely saw a few episodes of The West Wing (gotta go back to it), I however am a huge fan of his work on Moneyball, The Social Network & The Newsroom.

I think what some people hate about the show is that sometimes in the Newsroom, the dialogue feels maybe a bit unnatural, like a normal person wouldn't really talk like that, it feels slightly surreal from time to time.

User avatar
Posts: 11410
Joined: August 2010
Location: Texas
11072014 wrote:There are a couple HBO T.V. series I've been considering starting.
Six Feet Under
The Wire
The Newsroom
The Sopranos
Da Ali G Show
Boardwalk Empire

Would you guys recommend any of these? I'm sure some of you will, but why?
My favorite off that list is Six Feet Under. I have yet to see The Wire which is criminal.

Honestly you NEED to check out Six Feet Under, The Wire, Sopranos, and Boardwalk Empire. The first three I mentioned are classics and are must see tv. Boardwalk is good, but not on that level imo.

Posts: 12
Joined: July 2012
I'm rather new to this forum thing. If I recommend Misfits, will I get similar suggestions in return or is this just another thread where people name their favorite shows for others to bash? I'm really interested in six feet under. Every good show has a certain "spirit". I've watched many shows that are relatively smart and well made, but lack personality and spirit. I don't have a lot of spare time so I'd like to spend it well and get recommendations of shows that really have personal characters and an unpredictable plot. Or at least a spirit that allows me to forgive all errors.

In brief, I recommend Misfits. Give me something.

User avatar
Posts: 3042
Joined: December 2012
11072014 wrote:There are a couple HBO T.V. series I've been considering starting.
Six Feet Under
The Wire
The Newsroom
The Sopranos
Da Ali G Show
Boardwalk Empire

Would you guys recommend any of these? I'm sure some of you will, but why?
The Newsroom. It's great Sorkin.

Posts: 7448
Joined: February 2012
hollow head wrote:I'm rather new to this forum thing. If I recommend Misfits, will I get similar suggestions in return or is this just another thread where people name their favorite shows for others to bash? I'm really interested in six feet under. Every good show has a certain "spirit". I've watched many shows that are relatively smart and well made, but lack personality and spirit. I don't have a lot of spare time so I'd like to spend it well and get recommendations of shows that really have personal characters and an unpredictable plot. Or at least a spirit that allows me to forgive all errors.

In brief, I recommend Misfits. Give me something.
Why hello there.

Showing what you like can be a good way for others to know which shows to recommend to you, but it is not necessary. As someone who hasn't watched Misfits or Six Feet Under, thus can't give a relative opinion, I'll simply state this; if you're looking for a smart, well made show with personality and great characters, look no further than Breaking Bad.

Post Reply