Poltergeist (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cop 223 wrote:Perhaps it's like the whole 'producers are the real leader on the film and the director is just a member of the crew' deal.
A bunch of stuff here:
http://www.poltergeist.poltergeistiii.com/really.html (in three parts).

But who knows, could be just an overblown misunderstanding wrapped in a half-misguided misinterpretation.
That really opened my eyes... Well, not exactly a relevatory experience, more like a confirmation - since Poltergeist truly does feel like a Steven Spielberg film. From these excerpts I have a feeling Hooper had some personal issues (both as a director and as a human being - substance abuse was mentioned) so he and Steven resolved it privately to save his image, Steven doesn't seem like a bad guy in this story, more like a damn good fixer. Really interesting stories.

I still stand by my words - Poltergeist is not a sacred horror ground like The Exorcist or The Shining, hell they made two sequels right after it (they did the same with The Exorcist but that's like doing The Godfather: Beginning and Resurrection); it's not even a box-office beast, in Spielberg terms. Now let's wait and see the trailer for this shall we.

Just saw the trailer... in French. Hot damn.

I believe Jared Harris plays Zelda's role. Definitive nods to original but completely different aesthetic coupled with hints of Paranormal Activity. Really dig the overall style... English version will hit online soon, this and Knock-Knock are my horror treats for 2015.

A teaser for the trailer.

And I'm so in.

Domestic trailer
Last edited by antovolk on February 5th, 2015, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That looks surprisingly well done.

OMG yes. So in.

Looks dumb. Then again, I never really cared for the original… This trailer is annoyingly loud and not at all scary. But still, it looks like Insidious, like every other current ghost film lately. They just give them the James Wan treatment and are done with it.

Supposedly Sam Rockwell said it's a "kids movie" so if that's the case then it makes sense. I might be able to enjoy it a bit more knowing it's not really meant to scare adult audiences all that much. I did think "The Conjuring" was silly fun and a great family horror film.

Still, I'll probably lump this in the lot of contemporary horror films that get a lot of praise, but I dislike: Sinister, Insidious, Evil Dead (2013) Paranormal activity… all duds.