Poltergeist (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Echovoid_52 wrote:Looks dumb. Then again, I never really cared for the original… This trailer is annoyingly loud and not at all scary. But still, it looks like Insidious, like every other current ghost film lately. They just give them the James Wan treatment and are done with it.

Supposedly Sam Rockwell said it's a "kids movie" so if that's the case then it makes sense. I might be able to enjoy it a bit more knowing it's not really meant to scare adult audiences all that much. I did think "The Conjuring" was silly fun and a great family horror film.

Still, I'll probably lump this in the lot of contemporary horror films that get a lot of praise, but I dislike: Sinister, Insidious, Evil Dead (2013) Paranormal activity… all duds.
Idk if I could put Sinister in with the rest of those. I mean it does turn very stupid half way through, I was really disappointed, but honestly those first 40 minutes are some of the most scared I've ever been, and for a few nights. Something about those 8mm films reels was so evil and ominous and disturbing and I would never group it in with Pranormal Activity, regardless of them both being found footage they are completely different IMO. Also, I thought Insidious was good dumb fun, sort of like The Conjuring but not as effective and a little stupider.

DoubleD wrote:OMG yes. So in.
Aham. :D

Pretty good trailer, definitely interested. Was a fan of Evil Dead 2013 and am a fan of the two leads in this.

Allstar wrote:Pretty good trailer, definitely interested. Was a fan of Evil Dead 2013 and am a fan of the two leads in this.
If you haven't check out the international one, much better.

ComptonTerry wrote:
Echovoid_52 wrote:Looks dumb. Then again, I never really cared for the original… This trailer is annoyingly loud and not at all scary. But still, it looks like Insidious, like every other current ghost film lately. They just give them the James Wan treatment and are done with it.

Supposedly Sam Rockwell said it's a "kids movie" so if that's the case then it makes sense. I might be able to enjoy it a bit more knowing it's not really meant to scare adult audiences all that much. I did think "The Conjuring" was silly fun and a great family horror film.

Still, I'll probably lump this in the lot of contemporary horror films that get a lot of praise, but I dislike: Sinister, Insidious, Evil Dead (2013) Paranormal activity… all duds.

Idk if I could put Sinister in with the rest of those. I mean it does turn very stupid half way through, I was really disappointed, but honestly those first 40 minutes are some of the most scared I've ever been, and for a few nights. Something about those 8mm films reels was so evil and ominous and disturbing and I would never group it in with Pranormal Activity, regardless of them both being found footage they are completely different IMO. Also, I thought Insidious was good dumb fun, sort of like The Conjuring but not as effective and a little stupider.
The 8mm films are well done, granted it's really the music that makes them work. The film surrounding them however is, in my opinion, garbage.

Should be scarier than the original, as the original was rated PG and this is rated PG-13.

BlairCo wrote:Should be scarier than the original, as the original was rated PG and this is rated PG-13.
Yeah, in '82, two years before Spielberg unleashed Temple of Doom and helped create PG-13.

Ironically, this would today be R.

m4st4 wrote:
Allstar wrote:Pretty good trailer, definitely interested. Was a fan of Evil Dead 2013 and am a fan of the two leads in this.
If you haven't check out the international one, much better.
Agreed.

Echovoid_52 wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:

The 8mm films are well done, granted it's really the music that makes them work. The film surrounding them however is, in my opinion, garbage.
And I understand that opinion. I think the opening story of Ethan Hawke being some hack writer who hasn't had a hit in many years, ans desperately trying to have another started out good enough. Then the 8mm stuff really made it something special, for a little while... IMO, from the moment he goes on Skype chat and talks with that expert it starts to all fall apart. I thought the film was gonna have a little more to say about a hack writer and how far he would go for celebrity. I thought it was gonna do more with that idea but it does very little and instead becomes very silly

Fuck this shit. Too scary for me. Will not see it in theatre yo.