Thoughts on the Matrix Sequels...

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The general consensus is that like the Star Wars prequels they flat out sucked, but Ive always been conflicted on them. They had ideas and developments that I thought were great, and some I didn't like at all. Answers to important questions that were satisfying to me, and many that were 100% unsatisfying. I generally liked The Matrix Reloaded, and find Revolutions to be the really problematic one, but even Revolutions I don't hate. Now any discussion on The Matrix Sequels is probably considered old news by now (most would rather forget they ever happened, again like the SW prequels), but The Matrix is still the most groundbreaking thing since Star Wars, and it's had a truly significant impact on Sci Fi and film in general since it came out, and most people have immense respect for The Matrix so I think it's still worth discussing. The questions I want to ask anyone who is interested is where do you think the Matrix Sequels went wrong? What specific ideas, plot points, developments etc. brought up in the sequels do you feel were unsatisfying and screwed everything up? What did they fail to explore? What did you want to see explored that wasn't? How did they fuck up in your opinion, is what I guess I am asking. And of course anybody who actually liked them can speak about why they feel they were misunderstood.

I have not seen them in a while but I liked the second one and thought the 3rd was atrocious.

Convoluted ideas and pseudo-philosophy, misinterpretting what people connected to in the first picture, a narrative that ultimately made no sense and had no consequences to any negative action, and having a shoddy mythology that was vague and undefined. On top of that, the plotting wasn't as tight or focused, and Revolutions barely even had any cool action.

I tend to think Reloaded is the most fun/entertaining of the three, the freeway chase being one of the best action scenes I've ever seen. That said, they're inconsistent. Sometimes's Neo's a god, sometimes he's not that much more powerful than the other members of the team.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:misinterpretting what people connected to in the first picture
-Vader
I think this is a pretty interesting comment. What exactly do you mean?

I actually prefer Revolutions to Reloaded.

Vader182 wrote:Convoluted ideas and pseudo-philosophy, misinterpretting what people connected to in the first picture, a narrative that ultimately made no sense and had no consequences to any negative action, and having a shoddy mythology that was vague and undefined. On top of that, the plotting wasn't as tight or focused, and Revolutions barely even had any cool action.

I tend to think Reloaded is the most fun/entertaining of the three, the freeway chase being one of the best action scenes I've ever seen. That said, they're inconsistent. Sometimes's Neo's a god, sometimes he's not that much more powerful than the other members of the team.

-Vader
To continue from Vader. What was wrong about the sequels, a lot was wrong. An example of how sequels shouldn't be done. The only scene that was even comparable to the Original Matrix was the Chateau fight scene from Reloaded, they did it for real!! Its a shame because the Original was Fantastic and still looks fantastic now, it has aged very well. However the same cannot be said for the sequels.

Reloaded:
1. An Example of Overusing Cgi to replace fight scenes not enhance them as before.
2. The Matrix didn't seem like a threat as before. Agents weren't that scary.
3. the philosophy was misunderstood post-modernism, completely over the top and unnecessary at times.
4. Not enough gun drops.

Revolutions:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tolerate Reloaded, some very good action but the end is just a big letdown.

Revolutions..one of the few times I almost got up and walked out of the theater 10 minutes into it. Horrible.

I wish they had never made the sequels and just left it alone.

there were Matrix sequels? that's news to my ears...

I haven't seen them since I was about 14 but what I definitely do remember is not having a problem with both of them. They're not the best sequels out there but I certainly didn't think they were the worse.

I dunno, maybe my opinion might change if I see them now. Also, looking back at them now, Reloaded has more style in its action than Revolutions.

Haven't seen them since I was 12, but I thought they were OK save for the ending of #3. Such an anticlimax :lol: