No Time to Die (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Before anyone says "how is Zimmer doing Bond when he went off Tenet to focus on Dune," remember he gives Nolan projects serious attention and likely didn't want to do anything under 110% for him.

He will absolutely get one of his collaborators and do like 50% of the work at best, ala 2049.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 12:41 am
Before anyone says "how is Zimmer doing Bond when he went off Tenet to focus on Dune," remember he gives Nolan projects serious attention and likely didn't want to do anything under 110% for him.

He will absolutely get one of his collaborators and do like 50% of the work at best, ala 2049.

-Vader
Wallfisch was the name floated for a second before this news broke, I'm guessing Balfe will be helping out too as well.

Johannsson was replaced at almost the same timeframe for BR and even with split priorities it was an awesome score so I'm excited for this.

And this is basically a Nolan Bond film, just without Nolan himself directing :lol:

BlairCo wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 12:34 am
I'd have been more excited if he wasn't replacing anybody.
I'd have been more excited if it wasn't a last minute rescue mission.

The difference between this and BR2049 is that Villeneuve/Walker approached Zimmer in the middle of his tour. He might’ve had a bigger role on this.

And him not doing Tenet wasn’t about effort, scheduling or priorities, apparently. It seems like scoring Dunkirk wasn’t a very pleasant experience. He also was prepping for the tour and left before the score was completely done, so Lorne Balfe had to jump in for final tweaks.

Per the admin of Zimmer's site, Hans started on Bond over a month ago (apparently orchestra sessions already being recorded now), WW84 and Top Gun are both done

AhmadAli95 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 9:06 am
And him not doing Tenet wasn’t about effort, scheduling or priorities, apparently. It seems like scoring Dunkirk wasn’t a very pleasant experience.
I've heard this mentioned before. Do you have a link to where this is being reported? I'd be interested in reading about it.

Ace wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 12:11 am
Hans Zimmer Takes Over as Composer on Bond Movie
Hans Zimmer is James Bond’s new composer, multiple sources tell Variety.

The composer of “Gladiator,” “Inception” and “The Da Vinci Code” is already believed to be working on “No Time to Die,” the 25th film in the 007 franchise starring Daniel Craig. He replaces Dan Romer, the American composer who had previously been announced as scoring the film.

“Creative differences” are said to have been the reason for Romer’s dismissal last month by Eon Productions, the Broccoli family enterprise that has made all of the Bond films dating back to “Dr. No,” the first 007 adventure in 1962.

Reports, so far without confirmation, have suggested that the short time frame may necessitate the addition of such past Zimmer collaborators such as Benjamin Wallfisch (who worked with him on “Blade Runner 2049” and “Hidden Figures”) or Lorne Balfe (who last year rescued “Ad Astra” in post-production and in 2018 scored another high-grossing spy thriller, “Mission: Impossible – Fallout”).

Zimmer could not be reached for comment. Balfe, who is in London, and Wallfisch, still in the U.S., declined comment for this story.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/han ... ssion=true
omg

I hope Wallfisch will collaborate with him, their work on 2049 was terrific

BrandX wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 10:57 am
I've heard this mentioned before. Do you have a link to where this is being reported? I'd be interested in reading about it.
No. Just from conversations with the site’s admin. But keep checking Zimmer’s site.

First time I heard about their collaboration on Dunkirk not being optimal...

Seems like it was technically challenging and very stressful. Things kept changing and Nolan seems to have been very demanding - and probably neither were happy lol. I mean according to Zimmer, Nolan insisted they go through with the method they ended up using (which is being kept a secret) even though it caused so many problems and arguments. Nolan also said in one interview that any small change in picture would affect the whole score.

I don’t know how accurate this is, but I’ll trust the director [Nolan] on this, but they seem to have literally wrote the score as one long cue - using faders and automation graphs to transition between parts instead of working on small independent cues like they usually do. Although, there is a cue sheet showing almost 40 cues with credits.