What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
George wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:
Vader disagreed with me when we discussed this last night actually. He thinks the turning point into the final act is one of the films stronger qualities whereas I think it's rubbish.
The final act turns are what kept me from fully embracing No Country when I saw it back in '07 and '08. I do wonder what I'd think of it now, though.

I saw Cloud Atlas a few days ago but forgot to mention it here. 8/10. After that initial round of set-ups, where each time period unfolds without immediate interruption, Cloud Atlas really kicks into something refreshing and pretty special. The pacing is so spot-on, offering climaxes just at the right moments and winding threads in ways that offer mutual payoffs. So while, for instance, Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After fell completely flat, I was still intrigued by the way it related to everything else in the film. And though the emotion of An Orison of Sonmi~451 didn't hit me the way I wanted to, the payoff it brought to The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing left tears in my eyes. I really enjoyed the Timothy Cavendish narrative, possibly worth mentioning if only for the amount of hate it seems to be getting. To me it had the best character in the entire bunch and a great sense of humor.
What about Letters from Zedelghem? I haven't seen the movie, but this was my favorite part of the novel. :modesty:

TV Series Firefly by Joss Whedon

-My favorite show of all time is Battlestar Galactica because of the genre mix between politics, romance, religion, military, sci-fi...so I was very curious about this show
SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT, the western genre didn't mix well, the characters were interesting (especially Mal) but most of the episodes were standalone and there were no story arcs (BSG, Lost, Dexter, Walking Dead are my favorites because they have major character/story arcs), the action was ok at best...the dialogue was nice with some funny moment, but that's all

anyone's a fan and can explain to me why it's so good?

6.5/10

Now Where Was I ? wrote:TV Series Firefly by Joss Whedon

-My favorite show of all time is Battlestar Galactica because of the genre mix between politics, romance, religion, military, sci-fi...so I was very curious about this show
SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT, the western genre didn't mix well, the characters were interesting (especially Mal) but most of the episodes were standalone and there were no story arcs (BSG, Lost, Dexter, Walking Dead are my favorites because they have major character/story arcs), the action was ok at best...the dialogue was nice with some funny moment, but that's all

6.5/10
I haven't seen Firefly... but I want to know how you thought about Serenity (if you've seen it).

9.5/10

Lawless (2012)
Rating: 8.3/10
Personal Interest's Rating: 8.4/10

This is not just a movie, this is a treasure, and that's not all because of its quality. It's mostly because of how rare these kinds of films really are. Movies that are not made for Oscar baiting and critics top ten lists and movies that don't care about being attractive to mass audience. They are just made because some people find a good story and they wanted to make the movie they liked to see out of it and happily for us the result is more than just good.

Even though it's not an improvement compared to The Road it's not a step back either. People who cared about critics overall reaction and didn't get interested enough to watch this film have lost one hell of a ride.

8.1/10
Why you lurking my page brah?

I haven't read the book, so I may be mistaken, but I don't think it took itself seriously enough, considering the plot. The atmosphere was comical, which is fine for Indiana Jones, whose protagonist has a personality that can carry such a film, but the plot of Congo doesn't lend itself to a light-hearted atmosphere. Rather, the film should have been a bit more serious in its delivery and treated the main antagonists as interesting and formidable opponents. Also, none of the characters were strong enough to carry the moments of inaction, and the actors playing them didn't bring much to their roles. The soundtrack was ineffective at creating the proper mood. The sign language gorilla was annoying, and
the evil gorillas looked silly.

4/10

Alberto wrote:
George wrote:
The final act turns are what kept me from fully embracing No Country when I saw it back in '07 and '08. I do wonder what I'd think of it now, though.

I saw Cloud Atlas a few days ago but forgot to mention it here. 8/10. After that initial round of set-ups, where each time period unfolds without immediate interruption, Cloud Atlas really kicks into something refreshing and pretty special. The pacing is so spot-on, offering climaxes just at the right moments and winding threads in ways that offer mutual payoffs. So while, for instance, Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After fell completely flat, I was still intrigued by the way it related to everything else in the film. And though the emotion of An Orison of Sonmi~451 didn't hit me the way I wanted to, the payoff it brought to The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing left tears in my eyes. I really enjoyed the Timothy Cavendish narrative, possibly worth mentioning if only for the amount of hate it seems to be getting. To me it had the best character in the entire bunch and a great sense of humor.
What about Letters from Zedelghem? I haven't seen the movie, but this was my favorite part of the novel. :modesty:
That was one of the strongest stories in my opinion. In fact, I almost wish Tykwer had directed all six. Ben Whishaw was so great in the role, even if his character's conclusion wasn't as resounding as it should have been.

Chris435 wrote:
Now Where Was I ? wrote:TV Series Firefly by Joss Whedon

6.5/10
I haven't seen Firefly... but I want to know how you thought about Serenity (if you've seen it).
No, I haven't seen it...I guess I'll see it someday but the disappointment with the series dropped my interest a lot

The Prestige - 10/10
Flawless.