What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
No Country for Old Men.

Despite reading theories on it and it's subtextual and richer meaning and purpose, I feel as though the third act comes close to tanking the entire film. Javier Bardem is intoxicating to watch; Anton is a great however simplistically uncreative character that Bardem makes shockingly horrifying and insanely interesting. Arguably some of Deakins best work as well, putting it lightly. Some of the most gorgeously lit scenes I've had the honor of viewing.

Lawless.

My feelings haven't changed much since my first viewing. Considering the talent involved purely on screen, the film had potential to be remarkable, but instead it became unfocused and forgettable. Still entertaining, and full of really great performances, most notably from Pearce.

Dual B-'s.

Lincoln

8.5/10

I thought it was very interesting, but the cinematography felt sometimes like it was a documentary on the History Channel. Other than that. Great film, could of been shorter though.

The Descendants
8.5/10

A lovely film. Also really liked Clooney's performance in this one.

Crazy Eight wrote:No Country for Old Men.

Despite reading theories on it and it's subtextual and richer meaning and purpose, I feel as though the third act comes close to tanking the entire film. Javier Bardem is intoxicating to watch; Anton is a great however simplistically uncreative character that Bardem makes shockingly horrifying and insanely interesting. Arguably some of Deakins best work as well, putting it lightly. Some of the most gorgeously lit scenes I've had the honor of viewing.
Vader?

Allstar wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:No Country for Old Men.

Vader?
Vader disagreed with me when we discussed this last night actually. He thinks the turning point into the final act is one of the films stronger qualities whereas I think it's rubbish.

What happened to Vader?

Durden_77 wrote:What happened to Vader?
Doesn't want to live in a world where Lawless and No Country for Old Men are considered on par with one another? :P
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

Law_of_4 wrote:Lincoln

7/10

Really boring and talkative. Got nauseous halfway through and had to step out so I missed a crucial part. It doesn't feel like a Spielberg film. Little to no action, Day Lewis transforms.
a good score for a nauseous movie? :eh:

Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote:
Vader?
Vader disagreed with me when we discussed this last night actually. He thinks the turning point into the final act is one of the films stronger qualities whereas I think it's rubbish.
Think I'm caught on this issue - I love the way
Moss is killed off screen and totally randomly, it's very bold and affecting.
But I also feel like the theme of the very end is something that could have benefitted from being explored in a different way/to a further degree (talking about the two dreams), it's a good dialogue scene to have in the middle of a film but it doesn't quite bring the film full circle for me.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote:
Vader?
The final act turns are what kept me from fully embracing No Country when I saw it back in '07 and '08. I do wonder what I'd think of it now, though.

I saw Cloud Atlas a few days ago but forgot to mention it here. 8/10. After that initial round of set-ups, where each time period unfolds without immediate interruption, Cloud Atlas really kicks into something refreshing and pretty special. The pacing is so spot-on, offering climaxes just at the right moments and winding threads in ways that offer mutual payoffs. So while, for instance, Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After fell completely flat, I was still intrigued by the way it related to everything else in the film. And though the emotion of An Orison of Sonmi~451 didn't hit me the way I wanted to, the payoff it brought to The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing left tears in my eyes. I really enjoyed the Timothy Cavendish narrative, possibly worth mentioning if only for the amount of hate it seems to be getting. To me it had the best character in the entire bunch and a great sense of humor.