What was the last movie you watched? IV

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Solo, have you seen much Japanese cinema?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Solo, have you seen much Japanese cinema?

-Vader
Quite a bit of Kurosawa and two Ozu films but not a whole lot beyond that. Always looking to broaden my horizons though.

EDIT: And studio ghibli stuff too ofc

The Lone Ranger
6/10

Jack Sparrow meet a guy with a mask.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Solo, have you seen much Japanese cinema?

-Vader
Quite a bit of Kurosawa and two Ozu films but not a whole lot beyond that. Always looking to broaden my horizons though.

EDIT: And studio ghibli stuff too ofc
Think about trying a film or two by Kenzo Mizoguchi. I started with Ugetsu. It's pretty damned strange, and somehow strangely enjoyable.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part I and Part II)
PART I: 8.5/10
I used to think this was the weakest among the films because of its function as a "half" movie but now that I've seen it again, it is certainly one of the most interesting entries in series. Although I'm familiar with how it goes seeing since I've read the book, the execution is fascinating. The cinematography is almost on par with HP3 IMO, the editing and the way it is paced is impressive, and the acting from the cast is brilliantly appropriate for the tone. It would have been fascinating if Alfonso Cuaron came back instead to direct this one; I feel like this was meant for him. My only complaints are:
1.) Not a particularly good climax for obvious reasons.
2.) I disliked the alterations of some aspects from the book such as
The deletion of resolution of the Dursley subplot. In my opinion one of the most important moments of the book and series in general (luckily, its in deleted scene form). Also the handling of Dobby; the death is sad scene, yes, but it would have been more effective if like the books, he appeared in almost every entry of the series instead of just 2 movies.
PART II: 9/10
A brilliant end to the series that is equal or at the least, deserves to be noted among the ranks of Return of the King and The Dark Knight Rises. The film pulls off with flying colors all the emotional moments and epicness the series has been building up to in all departments of making this film. I also love how much detail went into the emphasis of the characters, whether it be the very solid acting of the cast or the creative decision of including almost every bloody familiar face from the series during the climax, whether they were just extras or not. Had this movie had a longer runtime (which it should have been BTW) and done correctly, it could have been ever more fangasmic but overall, it does the final half of Deathly Hallows justice.

And that is all. Mischief managed motherfuckers.

Danny Boyle's Trance-

The Great Gatsby

Such a satisfying film. What was really striking to me was how faithful the film was to the classic book, but it also managed to balance that and also incorporate Luhrmann's style into it as well. It was getting to a point where the style was over-crowding the substance, but I didn't feel like it had gone too far. Leonardo DiCaprio makes such a charming Gatsby; his mannerisms and voice is almost the react same way I read Gatsby from the book. Tobey Maguire was really wooden, but I wouldn't go as far to say he was terrible. Joel Edgerton's very tense Tom Buchanan is very entertaining to watch, even though at times he just shows up and then appears in the next scene. Maybe this'll benefit from a rewatch, but I wasn't really fully impressed with Carey Mulligan's Daisy; I felt like I was watching a wall with lips and makeup (And I feel bad for saying that because I really like Carey Mulligan), but maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on her and a revisit is what I'll need to fully digest her acting. Elizabeth Debicki is a delight to watch in her short but important scenes; I reckon she's gonna be big one day. One last thing I'd like to highlight, the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous; there is not one dull shot in the entire film.

Right now, this is my second favorite Luhrmann film, and the second best film of the year so far.

Allstar wrote:Danny Boyle's Trance-

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
8.6/10

This is my first viewing and I really liked it. I haven't seen the original but I liked this one. The characters were great and the story was an average zombie survival story. But I thought this was great and it was a great introduction to Zak Snyder. This is now one of my favorite zombie movies and also it would be in my top 25 movies of all time.

A Good Day to Die Hard.........3.5/10

I don't care what anyone says, this was not a Die Hard movie. At best this was a lame ass, bullshit attempt at a cheap action movie. Editing sucked. Cinematography was shit. Fake ass explosions everywhere. What a piece of trash. Now I know why Bruce Willis always looked drunk when I saw him out promoting this. What a joke this was.